2023-24 NBA Season thread

TrueYankee26

1 minute ago, dont care said:

How many teams are going to hire doc rivers as this basketball savior not realizing he’s actually a bad coach who only won one championship because of the big three, not him.

These three post-ring coaching gigs he's got have always been with front offices that I would, charitably, say have championship ambitions but a lack of smart and rational thinking. Also, messy bitches who love drama are always drawn to each other. I'm still in disbelief at this business about under-the-table working for/maybe undermining the previous coach while also analyzing that team on TV.

I do think he was a good coach for that Celtics team, but that Celtics team was also the end of an era of the NBA, and the rest of us have moved past that template/system.

21 hours ago, Digby said:

These three post-ring coaching gigs he's got have always been with front offices that I would, charitably, say have championship ambitions but a lack of smart and rational thinking.

He was the front office for a lot of those Clippers years. He was even worse as a GM than he is as a coach, and that's saying something.

• Like 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

GLENN Rivers. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sounds like an excellent idea although I wonder if they draw a FIBA 3pt line for Sabrina or both will use NBA one. Also if they want that to be fair both of them should use 3x3 Ball instead of regular size 6 and 7.

4r2eer.png

12 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Sounds like an excellent idea although I wonder if they draw a FIBA 3pt line for Sabrina or both will use NBA one. Also if they want that to be fair both of them should use 3x3 Ball instead of regular size 6 and 7.

They’ll probably just use their respective 3 point lines and balls. 

The college slam dunk and three point championships have had this for years, and it’s a huge hit. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

12 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Should be fun. Ionescu grew up in the Bay Area idolizing Steph. 

2 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Probably the best offensive year of basketball we’ve ever seen. 

Wonder if they’ll try to nerf it with some new rules/emphasis, or if 70 points becomes the new 50. 

Let's take a look at FTA. 16 feels like a lot. Embiid had 24 the other night.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

EDIT: not worth it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

They’ll probably just use their respective 3 point lines and balls. 

Is that a competition, or is it two people who happen to be shooting around at the same time? 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

23 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Wonder if they’ll try to nerf it with some new rules/emphasis, or if 70 points becomes the new 50. 

I doubt it, all the sports leagues consulted with themselves and decided a long time ago that more scoring is always desirable. 

A few years ago I just started adding (or subtracting) 10 to whatever metric I used to use to judge NBA games and/or players. A 20 point deficit in 2004 meant you were getting blown out, now coming back from that is barely even notable; 30 is the new blowout number. Paul Pierce would definitely have had a couple of 30 ppg seasons if his career was unfolding right now, while Donovan Mitchell or Devin Booker would be hovering right around 20 ppg flat if they played during Pierce's prime. And so on.

• Like 1

If the NBA Playoffs started today, the Lakers would be in the Play-In Tournament like they were last year, and the Warriors would not be in it.  I don't know if this is the start of a Patriots like downfall for the Warriors.  

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

If the NBA Playoffs started today, the Lakers would be in the Play-In Tournament like they were last year, and the Warriors would not be in it.  I don't know if this is the start of a Patriots like downfall for the Warriors.  

I think it is. Warriors look BAD. Draymond can't stay out of trouble.

Both Dubs and Lakers are mid while life is good for the Kings and Clippers who have historically played second fiddle in Northern California and SoCal respectively 

On 1/26/2024 at 5:25 AM, pepis21 said:

According to the ESPN article that just came out looks like respective lines and basketballs will be used.

The Warriors' Curry will shoot from the NBA 3-point line with NBA basketballs while the Liberty's Ionescu will shoot from the WNBA 3-point line with WNBA basketballs.

• Like 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin