MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

26 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I respect this opinion. I'm just speaking from the perspective of a fan of a different team (with a universally-praised CC and one I also like), looking at the 20+ others around the league in terms of general design aesthetics.

But I don't think I need to be from Milwaukee to think that the three-letter airport code emblazoned on the cap in big letters is lazy and hideous. (yes, I know about the area code too and find that equally lazy/dumb).

I'd warm up to some of these designs of they expunged some of the trite/lazy elements. The Marlins CC is great because the hat logo is something rather unique and kind of historically-inspired. I think everyone was fearful that Nike would do the obvious and incorporate 305 very loudly. I'm glad they resisted that, but they've really gone heavy into the airport code thing, which I will never understand.

As I mentioned earlier, five teams use a three-letter code.   1/5 of the program.  And I still don't think NYC should be lumped in there considering the city name is actually three letters and it's not a contrivance.  It's a huge part of the city's identity.  Three of the last 13 and four in the last two years have used airport codes.  They've not gone heavy into it.  It's not overwhelming.  It's barely a whelming part of the entire thing.  It's just not true.  And funnily enough, I actually think if they'd shortened to "DET" on the Tigers' cap, I'd actually consider it an improvement.

spacer.png

spacer.png

5 hours ago, CLEstones said:

You are the worst kind of people.  The memories are the ones you made with your dad, or your son, or your friends... it had nothing to do with the name of the team on the field.  People like you are pathetic, on every level, and there is no changing that.  There is nothing that will ever get through to people like you, who choose to be miserable and want to drag everyone around them with them.

LOL..... What are you talking about?

I am not a fan of the team.

And who are you people?

The fans reacting on X to the new CC unis?

The fans that respond to the team's X account  that they want the previous identity back are miserable, pathetic and are the worst kind of people?

A bit much perhaps? 

😆

• Yawn 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 2

6 hours ago, Bmac said:

Because it literally isn't a completely different team. They didn't start a new franchise or relocate or anything, they changed names. When a woman changes her last name at marriage, she's still the same woman.

Get over it.

So if the New York Yankees  changes name and uniforms, they are still the same team?

• Yawn 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 2

19 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

If not for the orange, I'd say I like those unis more than what the Marlins are wearing now.

Absolutely..... compared to the garbage they wear now, these are great, especially the unique number font on the back.

Oh!  And we had some returns on a random Tuesday night!

St. Louis Cardinals v Los Angeles Angels

Los Angeles Dodgers v San Francisco Giants

And then there were four.  Weird that with only two City Connects not returning yet otherwise (Cubs and Brewers), the other two remaining missing unis are the Cardinals alts.

2 minutes ago, adsarebad said:

So if the New York Yankees  changes name and uniforms, they are still the same team?

You mean the Baltimore Orioles/New York Highlanders?

• Like 5
  • Love 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

47 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Oh!  And we had some returns on a random Tuesday night!

St. Louis Cardinals v Los Angeles Angels

Los Angeles Dodgers v San Francisco Giants

Man...I would like those Giants City Connects so much more if there was something else on the front of the jersey. Either front numbers or a "San Francisco" script would make such a difference. I also wish they had used International Orange (the actual color of the Golden Gate Bridge), which is a much more reddish shade. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Man...I would like those Giants City Connects so much more if there was something else on the front of the jersey. Either front numbers or a "San Francisco" script would make such a difference. I also wish they had used International Orange (the actual color of the Golden Gate Bridge), which is a much more reddish shade. 

They're definitely one to whiff bad on theirs.  So much culture and they go for the thing a housewife in Peoria would go with.  Even so... there's a bit of a feeling you get looking at these considering that they took one team color (not the same shade, but still) and left the other off that it's incomplete.  If they had gone with black outlines that also faded out, it would have been an improvement.  But they went with a light shade of orange (and not even the bridge's shade) and the base color of the jersey, which makes it look like a printing error.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

They're definitely one to whiff bad on theirs.  So much culture and they go for the thing a housewife in Peoria would go with.  Even so... there's a bit of a feeling you get looking at these considering that they took one team color (not the same shade, but still) and left the other off that it's incomplete.  If they had gone with black outlines that also faded out, it would have been an improvement.  But they went with a light shade of orange (and not even the bridge's shade) and the base color of the jersey, which makes it look like a printing error.

I'm actually fine with the lack of black and the decision to use only orange--the problem is they used the wrong shade! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I wouldn't be shocked if that came down to a "this is a color Nike can't seem to produce" issue.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

As I mentioned earlier, five teams use a three-letter code.   1/5 of the program.  And I still don't think NYC should be lumped in there considering the city name is actually three letters and it's not a contrivance.  It's a huge part of the city's identity.  Three of the last 13 and four in the last two years have used airport codes.  They've not gone heavy into it.  It's not overwhelming.  It's barely a whelming part of the entire thing.  It's just not true.  And funnily enough, I actually think if they'd shortened to "DET" on the Tigers' cap, I'd actually consider it an improvement.

I feel you are misrepresenting what I said. I don't believe I ever insinuated that most of the CCs use airport codes. I merely said that I am surprised by the appreciation for certain CC renditions, such as Cleveland and Milwaukee, because their designs heavily incorporate those poor choices.

In one of my other posts, I listed various other reasons why the CC concept is failing miserably. Fauxbacks too reminiscent of throwbacks, excessive use of black/charcoal, and some that are just flat out ugly.

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

I feel you are misrepresenting what I said. I don't believe I ever insinuated that most of the CCs use airport codes. I merely said that I am surprised by the appreciation for certain CC renditions, such as Cleveland and Milwaukee, because their designs heavily incorporate those poor choices.

In one of my other posts, I listed various other reasons why the CC concept is failing miserably. Fauxbacks too reminiscent of throwbacks, excessive use of black/charcoal, and some that are just flat out ugly.

You'd brought it specifically up as being a problem multiple times and said they'd "gone heavy into" them.  It seems a much less a problem than it sounded as though you were making it.  It does make me chuckle thinking now about how the most famous airport codes haven't been used, but they're mostly not congruent with the city name.

Actually, Washington's airports are DCA, IAD, and BWI.  That makes WSH even more off-putting.  I've always seen Washington abbreviated as "WAS" for the most part, although everyone has already covered that locals would prefer DC.  But everyone loved the rest so much they wound up embracing them anyway.

Ironically, being reminiscent of throwbacks often makes them more objectively aesthetically pleasing.

But to me the only outright failures (both unpleasant to me and failing the assignment) are the Dodgers, Giants, Phillies, and Tigers.  I want to put Boston here, not because of the rivalry as I believe their other uniforms to be a top-5 set, but because I think they're gaudy and like the Giants I think they're too narrowly focused on a small piece of a city with so much to work off of, but natives keep telling me I'm wrong.

Others have stupid aspects.  Wrong color pants.  Wrong wordmark.  Wrong cap.  But they're either hit the locals in their hearts, fit with the team's identity, or just look objectively good.

• Like 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

21 hours ago, tBBP said:

To the first point: I feel you on that. But, while that is true, I will say that a small number of these CCs have turned out pretty nice. Two or three would actually suffice as permanent brands--inasmuch as anything is permanent in this current era of sports branding/merchandising. And speaking of that...

...To your second point, these CCs--as well as all the other alternates Nike has churned out and will continue to churn out--aren't going anywhere. And if you wish to understand some of the business reasons behind why that is, I will refer you, and anyone else, interested, to the video linked in this thread (oddly enough, from one of the best baseball YouTube channels out there), that really digs behind the scenes at the sheer amount of capital Nike has poured into all of this--and as such, is reaping dividends from alongside the three leagues whose uniforms their swoosh adorns.

So much money spent...and apparently none of it on competent designers. Maybe they just threw a bunch of random basketball jerseys into Midjourney and applied those designs to baseball jerseys. However they got here, the results have been bad...just bad.

9 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I won't defend that cap logo, because it's trying too hard to be cute by shoehorning the 414 into the MKE ( a nod to the Ball-in-Glove 'two things at once' logo), but given that the uniform doesn't say MKE, it says Brew City, I'm hard pressed to see how Milwaukee heavily incorporates the airport code in the design. The design is centered around the throwback colors and kitschy uses of Brewer icons (barley, grills from tailgating). I wish Bernie Brewer were on the cap without a doubt. If the uni said Brewers or Milwaukee with a different cap logo, it would be a totally fine alternate.

• Like 4

It's where I sit.

19 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

If not for the orange, I'd say I like those unis more than what the Marlins are wearing now.

As a fan of orange and black, I would have loved to see the Marlins add orange into their original teal and black kit. As a hater of pinstripes, I was glad when the Marlins dropped them. 

7 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Actually, Washington's airports are DCA, IAD, and BWI.  That makes WSH even more off-putting.  I've always seen Washington abbreviated as "WAS" for the most part, although everyone has already covered that locals would prefer DC.  But everyone loved the rest so much they wound up embracing them anyway.

Thanks for pointing out the airport abbreviation thing. If the Nationals had wanted to do a regional twist, I suppose they could have gone with "DMV"...although that might seem odd to people who don't live here. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

You'd brought it specifically up as being a problem multiple times and said they'd "gone heavy into" them.  It seems a much less a problem than it sounded as though you were making it.  It does make me chuckle thinking now about how the most famous airport codes haven't been used, but they're mostly not congruent with the city name.

Ironically, being reminiscent of throwbacks often makes them more objectively aesthetically pleasing.

But to me the only outright failures (both unpleasant to me and failing the assignment) are the Dodgers, Giants, Phillies, and Tigers.  I want to put Boston here, not because of the rivalry as I believe their other uniforms to be a top-5 set, but because I think they're gaudy and like the Giants I think they're too narrowly focused on a small piece of a city with so much to work off of, but natives keep telling me I'm wrong.

Others have stupid aspects.  Wrong color pants.  Wrong wordmark.  Wrong cap.  But they're either hit the locals in their hearts, fit with the team's identity, or just look objectively good.

In a sport with a Baltimore team, you'd need to exclude BWI because that's Baltimore. Despite being a popular choice for people in the region. Point stands though.

• Like 2

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

2 hours ago, M59 said:

Thanks for pointing out the airport abbreviation thing. If the Nationals had wanted to do a regional twist, I suppose they could have gone with "DMV"...although that might seem odd to people who don't live here. 

Can they fit "FORD HONDA CHEVY BEEMERS AND MINIVANS" on there too?

• LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, The_Admiral said:

Can they fit "FORD HONDA CHEVY BEEMERS AND MINIVANS" on there too?

Do people from the DMV area not realize that most of the rest of us think of the Department of Motor Vehicles when we see DMV?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

It's where I sit.