CFL uniform news 2024

clonewars2008

Ottawa should have used this opportunity to get a new number font, or at least get rid of the notches on this font. Other than that, it's a really nice update, save for the lack of striping on the pants and socks.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

Β 

Some great stuff here. However, much like Baylor’s new set, it suffers from an aggressive case of unnecessary number notch diseaseΒ 

In Ottawa's case, the number notch is actually based on their logo

Redblacks Logo | SVG | Real Company | Alphabet, Letter R Logo

• Like 1

zzPEfBm.png

26 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

Β 

Some great stuff here. However, much like Baylor’s new set, it suffers from an aggressive case of unnecessary number notch diseaseΒ 

Β 

To be fair, the font isn't new for them. It's been used for the numbers since the entered the league. They aren't making any changes to the road uniform, so I'd rather not have mis-matched fonts.

• Like 2

I hate when the font is the same colour as the jersey with only an outline that has contrasting colours butΒ  I think it's ok.Β 

It does look very similar to Ottawa's new jersey and I wish they used yellow pants (you can see the pants in the video linked)Β  but it works.Β 

Β 

Β 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C72ojjXvwIu/?igsh=ZnZzcGpicnl2cDcz

Β 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 6/4/2024 at 4:19 PM, steve61 said:

In Ottawa's case, the number notch is actually based on their logo

Β 

Β 

Correct, it's lost on a lot of people but that notch is meant to represent the strike of an axe on wood - fitting with the whole lumberjack theme.

11 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Ah yes, the ol’ β€œhonor the past with a :censored:ty uniform” reveal

Β 

Gotta love it

Β 

Β 

At the rate things are going I expect every team in the league will have a jersey with those particular shoulder stripes by next season.Β 

Edmonton’s new third jersey sucks. The green numbers and letters on the green jersey just make zero sense to me. They looked awful on the field.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Delicate Genius said:

The Elks are wearing different pants tonight that match the white ones that debuted last season.

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

These were the regular pants used from the redesign in 2022 through preseason this year:

spacer.png

I like the new gold pants much, much better. I hope they don’t wear the white ones moving forward. I find that the more pant options a team has, the stupider their uniform combinations become.Β 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Speculation in town that the Elks have been (or are about to be) bought by a private owner and, further, that the Elks name will eventually be dropped. I was told today about a possible name change by a friend who has been a season ticket holder for over 20 years and knows people within and around the organization, so I don't have a link to back it up.

Β 

But it would not surprise me if it does happen given the disconnect between the fans and Elks since the rebrand,Β  in part due to how awful the team has been run and how poorly the paying customers have been treated. If/when a new owner takes over, I expect there will be a lot of changes to bring the fans back.

• Like 1
  • WOAH 1

12 hours ago, Delicate Genius said:

Speculation in town that the Elks have been (or are about to be) bought by a private owner and, further, that the Elks name will eventually be dropped. I was told today about a possible name change by a friend who has been a season ticket holder for over 20 years and knows people within and around the organization, so I don't have a link to back it up.

Β 

But it would not surprise me if it does happen given the disconnect between the fans and Elks since the rebrand,Β  in part due to how awful the team has been run and how poorly the paying customers have been treated. If/when a new owner takes over, I expect there will be a lot of changes to bring the fans back.

Β 

That seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The switch to Elks felt like a fairly seamless transition compared to the Commanders or Guardians name changes, and I'm sure people would be loving it if the team weren't putting up some of their worst seasons in decades.

Β 

Another name change is just diluting the brand even further, and if people don't like Elks, what name is out there that's going to be universally accepted? There isn't one, especially in Alberta where a large portion of the population is going to be upset with anything other than the original name (which no new owner is going to bring back).

• Like 13

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Β 

The switch to Elks felt like a fairly seamless transition compared to the Commanders or Guardians name changes

Β 

Β 

They were called the Edmonton Football Team for a year. The Guardians changing one syllable and connecting the name to the city was genius in comparison.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

They were called the Edmonton Football Team for a year. The Guardians changing one syllable and connecting the name to the city was genius in comparison.

Β 

I guess so, but Cleveland had the issue of a racist caricature which also happened to be a beloved logo. I like the Guardians name, but the serifed C hasn't quite filled the gap left by the departure of Chief Wahoo.Β 

Β 

The Elks managed to come up with a very nice new logo, while also having the benefit of not having to get rid of their primary EE logo.Β 

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Delicate Genius said:

Β 

I just cannot see a new owner rebranding this team for a second time in five years. The Eskimos name was replaced with Elks in 2020. They are already playing their fourth season as the Elks.Β 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I just cannot see a new owner rebranding this team for a second time in five years. The Eskimos name was replaced with Elks in 2020. They are already playing their fourth season as the Elks.Β 

Β 

I think it depends on who the new owner is, their motivations and the league's tolerance level.Β 

Β 

Not to get political, but the world at large is pushing back on the equity and inclusivity ideals that led these teams to change their names in the first place. We're already seeing the post-George Floyd embrace of corporate DEI programs fading into the background. It wouldn't surprise me if the next battleground for this was professional sports branding.Β 

Β 

I hope that's not the case. I think @spartacat_12's point was a good in that the Elks rebrand was as natural a transition as you could hope for in this situation.Β 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I think it depends on who the new owner is, their motivations and the league's tolerance level.Β 

Β 

Not to get political, but the world at large is pushing back on the equity and inclusivity ideals that led these teams to change their names in the first place. We're already seeing the post-George Floyd embrace of corporate DEI programs fading into the background. It wouldn't surprise me if the next battleground for this was professional sports branding.Β 

Β 

I hope that's not the case. I think @spartacat_12's point was a good in that the Elks rebrand was as natural a transition as you could hope for in this situation.Β 

Β 

I think there's a vocal minority who are pushing back against these things, but I don't think many industries are actually pulling back on those ideals. The toothpaste is out of the tube, so I highly doubt we get to a point where teams say, "you know what, that racist name was perfectly fine, so we're bringing it back".

Β 

The sports industry in particular seems to be making more strides to be progressive, although that's mostly because the industry was far behind in these areas for a long time. I previously worked in the CFL, and the conversation is constantly about how to bring in younger fans. Being less progressive isn't exactly the best strategy for that.

49 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Β 

I think there's a vocal minority who are pushing back against these things, but I don't think many industries are actually pulling back on those ideals. The toothpaste is out of the tube, so I highly doubt we get to a point where teams say, "you know what, that racist name was perfectly fine, so we're bringing it back".

Β 

The sports industry in particular seems to be making more strides to be progressive, although that's mostly because the industry was far behind in these areas for a long time. I previously worked in the CFL, and the conversation is constantly about how to bring in younger fans. Being less progressive isn't exactly the best strategy for that.

Β 

Speaking from first-hand experience in business media, there's more than enough evidence to show a legitimate pull back from DEI initiatives in the corporate world. That's not to suggest all of the progress was lost; but too many companies jumped into DEI programs when it was hot and they could build some public goodwill. But when it's politically inopportune, many of them have deemphasized it. It's a real thing.Β 

Β 

Admittedly, I'd be surprised if a professional sports league, which is full of consumer-facing brands, and have yet to shy away from things like Pride events, would go that route. But we live in a strange world.Β