Spring Football Concept: AAFL Project

WideRight

On 2/1/2024 at 7:45 AM, WideRight said:

Columbus:  I had a version of the Apollos logo for CBS to celebrate John Glenn, but with Houston being the Apollos, that has been replaced.  1 logo is repurposed, 1 using OSU colors, and 1 with a possible first black helmet in the league.

You can also do a biplane logo or an old timey race car for Eddie Rickenbacker for a Columbus team.

Rickenbacker_Eddie-one.jpg

10089rickenbackerinenvironmentCW_83E1637

For the Orlando team, I'm going with the Lightning. 

kk7MeKn.gif

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

I will say this, had the Juice used any other color combo, i don't think they are in the position they are in.  All about the creamsicle, right? 

@WideRight oddly enough the creamsicles feel like a natural fit for any Florida franchise.  I'm curious which direction you truly go if there's enough juice in the tank...  however I think the double-entendre of rebranding them the Orlando (tequila) Sunrise... gives it a more daring flavor of of cumulative Spring Break experiences and leave the 'birds stuck on the wrong side of the Mason-Dixon line.  What better way to start the day with a little OJ and your favorite adult libation... at least that is what my friends tell me...

We have reached the 15-vote threshold, but we are not particularly close to a decision in what is proving to be a tight race from top to bottom.

8   Snowbirds  

7   Juice

5   Lightning

3   Tropics

Will this one go the distance (tomorrow at 5pm) or will one of these names start to build a more substantial lead?   All of Central Florida is waiting to find out. 

While we wait, a freebie for you, since i don't think we will see this nickname reused (no remaining city seems appropriate).   I generally don't create the full uniform design until I feel pretty good that the particular name/logo is going to be chosen, but the race between Salt Lake Pioneers and Sasquatch was close, so I made both.  With Sasquatch not likely to be used at all in the AAFL project, here is the "leaked" design had that name won in Salt Lake City.

spacer.png

• Like 1

I hope you Pioneer Fans are happy, YOU TOOK THE SASQUATCH SHOULDERS FROM US

• Like 1

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

8 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Juice, by a mile. 

I think the Snowbirds concept is inventive, but a snowbird to me isn't a bird. It's a retiree from a cold-weather city. Maybe give the bird a walker and have them playing canasta?

Nice!  Maybe they could hold their training camp in The Villages or Del Boca Vista and the team car would be a late model Cadillac.  

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

We have reached the 15-vote threshold, but we are not particularly close to a decision in what is proving to be a tight race from top to bottom.

8   Snowbirds  

7   Juice

5   Lightning

3   Tropics

Will this one go the distance (tomorrow at 5pm) or will one of these names start to build a more substantial lead?   All of Central Florida is waiting to find out. 

If I can change my vote I'll pick Snowbirds. I said Tropics previously

1 hour ago, Blindsay said:

I hope you Pioneer Fans are happy, YOU TOOK THE SASQUATCH SHOULDERS FROM US

The 'Squatch just didn't go well with the whole Salt Lake City, home of the Jazz...  but I guess it could be worse if the 'Squatch ended up Central Florida... It could be something akin to this?  The ultimate creamsicle mashup...

spacer.png

18 hours ago, WideRight said:

OK, I am going to treat @DCarp1231 's post as a vote switch from Atlanta to Orlando kind of like the Iowa Caucus when your guy is ousted so you have to revote for one of the remaining contenders. 

With that vote, we have a winner!

Welcome Orlando, FL to the AAFL!!   This gives us our 8 founding franchises and means that we hit what I consider the 3 biggies for any startup league, Florida, Texas, and California.  So now we start the voting process on Orlando's identity, and this one pushed me in some weird directions.  I wanted to avoid any space references because Houston went that direction, and since Orlando is not on the ocean or the gulf, I did not feel I could repurpose the San Diego Surf or the Sharks idea.  So, what is left?    Let's see.

ORLANDO TROPICS

With a gator as the main component of the logo, you knew this former New Orleans design had to be an option for a Florida team, and so it is.  With the potential for the league's first white helmet, and combining UF orange with green from "The U", this is a very "Florida man" look.  I opted to change the name from "Gators" to "Tropics" largely because UF would certainly sue if another team in the state tried to use the Gator name. 

spacer.png

ORLANDO JUICE

It's a team the Florida Citrus Growers will love!  Not only does it focus on the citrus industry, but we went one layer deeper into creamsicle country with the first team in sports history to propose a dual-orange color scheme.  We hae seen double blue (Argonauts), double green (Bucks), even double red (AAF Commanders), so now we have double orange.  It certainly screams Florida, but is it too much "juice" for the fans to accept?

spacer.png

ORLANDO SNOWBIRDS

Another huge element of Florida's unique population is the vast number of northerners who escape the winter to spend the colder months in the Florida sun.  Whether just temporary "time share" residents or permanent retirees in "death's waiting room", the Snowbird should be the state bird.  In a sun-soaked gold and blue sky combo, the Snowbirds spread their wings in sunny Orlando. 

spacer.png

ORLANDO LIGHTNING

A second repurposed logo as the former DC Power now emerge as the Orlando Lightning.  This design recognizes the frequency and severity of lightning strikes in Central Florida, while also providing the team with a color scheme that aligns with its other major outdoor team, the MLS Orlando City club, with their recognizable purple kits.  The Lightning will sport purple, metallic gold, and black as their colors, with twin lightning bolts emerging from the facemask on the helmets. 

kk7MeKn.gif

There we have them, four choices up for a vote.  Only 1 can be the identity of the league's final inaugural team.  Will it be a tongue in cheek reference to the state's big crop?  a nod to the prehistoric lizard so often found on golf courses and in swimming pools?  A tribute to the state's transient sunseekers? or will the team adopt purple once again?  

As we have established, the vote has a 2-day maximum, but once we reach 15 total votes, then any team with a 4-vote lead takes the W.  

Following this vote, i will lay out the premise of a first season, and discussion of expansion to 10 clubs in year two.   More votes to come, to be sure.  But, for now, let's get to picking the identity of Florida's team.  

Snowbirds please.

1 hour ago, NativeSonX said:

The 'Squatch just didn't go well with the whole Salt Lake City, home of the Jazz...  but I guess it could be worse if the 'Squatch ended up Central Florida... It could be something akin to this?  The ultimate creamsicle mashup...

spacer.png

Skunk Apes. Go Florida!!