Spring Football Concept: AAFL Project

WideRight

Rush

Interesting that the AAFL isn't considering San Antonio for this latest round of expansion. Given the strength of their bid in the last round, I could see making a case for moving New Orleans to the East and adding San Antonio as a rival to the Apollos in the Central. (Unless this is the league's pretense for forcing a team into the New York area)

3 hours ago, WideRight said:

Ready for the next phase?  We jump ahead 2 years to get there.  

With the addition to two  large markets in 2029 with Chicago and Boston coming on board, the TV networks got just what they wanted from the AAFL, a 17% increase in viewership.  Attendance was strong, up slightly from 2028, with a leaguewide average of 20,884.  However, that number was a bit skewed by the St. Louis Rampage, who opted to pay the higher lease and play all games at the Dome at America’s Center, which allowed them to average just under 32,000 for the season. Attendance dipped under 18,000 for 3 markets, Salt Lake, Portland, and Chicago.  This was largely due to poor weather in the first month of play (actually well into April in Portland) and poor play on the field as these three teams combined for only 7 wins among them (Chicago 1-11, Salt Lake 3-9, Portland 3-9). 

St. Louis, with their capacity advantage and solid fan support again won the right to host the league title game, despite finishing 2nd in the East to Orlando.  It would be the Juice who would represent the East against the San Diego Destroyers, who repeated as Western Champions.  San Diego would learn from their 2028 loss and would cruise to a 33-20 win over the Juice to take the league title.

Prior to the championship game, the league announced that they would not expand in 2030, opting instead to improve the overall production and quality of play across the league.  A month after the title game, which drew an impressive 38,202 despite not having the Rampage in the title game, representatives of the various clubs voted to alter the way the title game would be assigned.  Rather than waiting until Week 10 of the season and awarding the game to the top attendance city (a structure which now clearly favors St. Louis every year), the league would award the title game to the city whose club won the title the year before.  This means that the 2030 title game would be hosted by San Diego.

With the networks very pleased with the results of the 2029 expansion, and the league looking solid on the revenue side, it was decided in January that the league would expand for the 2031 season, adding 2 more teams and moving to 3 divisions of 4 teams each, expanding the playoffs to include 5 clubs (3 division winners, 2 Wild Cards who have a play-in game).  Additionally they agreed that any team which averaged 90% capacity in tickets sold could explore a larger stadium option.  They had already done this with St. Louis, but this would also mean that clubs like Washington and Houston, which had regularly sold out tiny Audi Field (20k) and Shell Energy Stadium (22k) could explore other options. 

The 2030 season saw better weather in March and April, and more even play across the league, with no team winning fewer than 4 of 12 games.  Salt Lake made a huge leap, from only 3 wins in 2029 to 7 wins in 2030.  Both Chicago and Boston also improved in their second seasons, with the Clovers winning a Wild Card spot while Chicago finished a respectable 6-6.  Boston would lose to Washington in the Eastern Finals, while Houston would upset San Diego in the Western finals, meaning that for a 2nd straight year the team hosting the title game would not be appearing in it.  That did not diminish attendance as AAFL fans flocked to San Diego and filled SnapDragon Stadium’s 35,000 capacity, creating the first sold out AAFL Title Game in the league’s 3 year history.  Houston would edge Washington 20-18 in a really entertaining game to win the league’s 3rd title.

But, despite growth in many areas, one area where there was a bit of disappointment was the TV ratings.  The league had the same lulls it saw in past years during March Madness, but also struggled with some decline in overall ratings across the 12 week season.  The networks strongly encouraged the league to consider looking at more large markets with their 3031 expansion, citing that there were still several major markets that were lagging in viewership, largely due to a lack of local interest. 

With the move to 12 teams for the 3031 season it was agreed that Houston, New Orleans, Chicago, and St. Louis would make up the Central Division, meaning that the two expansion clubs would be placed into the Eastern and Western divisions.  The pool of cities was quickly established, with two cities in California the only sites considered for the Western team and a short list of markets on tap in the East.

By midseason in 3030 the league reached a surprising deal with the two investor groups that represented San Jose and Sacramento, California.  The two cities would share a team, with each city hosting 3 home games.  The team would use the “California” moniker, and would alternate home dates throughout the season between 21,000 seat Hornet Stadium in Sacramento and 30,000 seat CEFCU Stadium in San Jose.

So the question now turned to what identity this regional team would take on.  The investors chose from the 8 different concepts they had begun developing and chose the five which they felt worked best for the combination of the two cities.  And now it is time to vote.  Which of these five identities will the new California dual-city franchise take on? 

CALIFORNIA DONS

Celebrating the legendary period of the Spanish Colonial years, the Dons refers to the early colonists who set up missions and the first cities in California.  Depicted with a swashbuckling, sword-wielding figure, not unlike the most famous fictitious “Don”, the masked Zorro, the Don’s use black, metallic gold, and a pale royal blue as their color scheme.spacer.png

CALIFORNIA REDWOODS

The towering sequoia tree is the central feature of this identity, with 3 trees in bold green and burgundy forming the team’s logo as the earth beneath them forms a football.  Symbols of strength, fortitude, and California’s unique ecosystems, the Redwoods stand tall as a symbol of the northern half of the state. Forest green helmets with a bold burgundy stripe helps pull the look together. 

spacer.png(Now that I look at this logo again I realize I have it backwards, the leaves/needles should be green and the trunks should be maroon. I will fix this later today and repost this design.)

CALIFORNIA RUSH

The goldrush helped to build what is today one of the strongest economies and richest histories in the U.S.  Thie California Rush pay homage to that legacy with the figure of a 19th century prospector, complete with his pickaxe, and depicted in black, white and gold, on a golden helmet.  The prospector “rushes” towards paydirt, football in hand, as he and the team hope to find gold on the football field.

spacer.png

CALIFORNIA CONDORS

The iconic California Condor is the first of two animal-based concepts, but one that would provide this club with a truly unique color scheme. The black feathers of the condor provide the primary inspiration, while the combination of orange and pink found on their heads provides two bright pops of color for the club.  The logo depicts the raptor and scavenger’s head, with its unique white neck plumage, set within a shield with a shifting orange-pink “sunset border”. 

spacer.png

CALIFORNIA COUGARS

Another iconic predator from the mountains of northern California, the cougar is depicted in mid-roar, it’s golden and white fur offset by a deep Kelly green outline and four clawmark slashes.  The Cougars use Kelly green, black and gold as their color scheme, with metallic gold helmets a shade or two lighter than the Dons’ concept and considerably lighter than the more bronzy gold of the Rush.

spacer.png

Voting is open now and will continue through noon on Sunday unless one team can garner that all-important 4-vote lead before that time.

To help with voting, a reminder that currently no team in the league has a gold helmet, so the three gold options would add a new helmet color.  No team currently has a black helmet either.  And while Boston has a green helmet, the difference between the Clovers’ Kelly green and the proposed Redwood forest green color is significant.  The dominant jersey colors for the clubs are almost certainly Cougars-green,  Condors-black. Rush-black, Dons-blue, and Redwoods-forest green.   If that helps folks decide.

For some reason, I feel like the Rush would make a good 49ers secondary logo.

Maybe for this universe the Rush could be a Niners farm team?

There was a point where I think Rush had a 4-vote lead, but when I check in I see this now:

13  Rush

11  Condors

3    Dons

1   Cougars

1   Redwoods

I am going to let the voting continue (in part because I need some time to get the designs ready), but I will call it the next time I log in.  

Until then, here are two items you all might want to see.  

First, the Condor colors on a Snowbirds helmet.  I don't think this works the way people hoped.  

spacer.png

Second, The Redwoods with the corrected coloring.  I had to switch the helmet color as well, and honestly, it is worse than the original, even with the more accurate tree coloring.  I guess this is why Redwoods is not getting many votes. 

spacer.png