2024 NFL Changes

7 hours ago, jc... said:

During the spring and summer when it's warm out, who wants to go to an indoor concert?  

When it's 95 degrees out and there's 100% humidity. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The specific complaints about the uniforms can be leveled at any number of teams in recent years:

Plain pants? Lions, Jaguars, Cardinals, Saints, Titans

BFBS? Eagles, Jets, Cardinals

Road Uniform different from Home? Cardinals, Rams, Texans

Not Tanya Snyder in particular.  If the opinion is that she is a bad human being for her reaction to the investigation and should not be connected to the uniforms, fine make that argument.

Actually, the Titans do not have plain pants and are in fact, striped. Albeit minimally 🤓 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I use the old name when referring to their Super Bowl appearances. Joe Gibbs never coached the Commanders, and there’s no sense in censoring history. 

But yeah, I definitely use the current name to discuss the current team. Even though the current name sounds clunky and has one of the worst visual brands in the Big 4. 

I look at this particular point like the Oilers/Titans. If you were to say Warren Moon played for the Tennessee Titans, people would look at you like you're crazy. He is part of that franchise's history, but not part of the Titans era. Whatever baggage the Commanders' old name had, that was still the name of the team at those points in time.

I especially agree about censoring history. We all know what happens if you don't learn from history, and censoring it is the best way I know to not learn from it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

5 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

I look at this particular point like the Oilers/Titans. If you were to say Warren Moon played for the Tennessee Titans, people would look at you like you're crazy. He is part of that franchise's history, but not part of the Titans era. Whatever baggage the Commanders' old name had, that was still the name of the team at those points in time.

I especially agree about censoring history. We all know what happens if you don't learn from history, and censoring it is the best way I know to not learn from it.

Sean Taylor never played for the WFT or Commanders, yet here we are

spacer.png
spacer.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

GNfHYu2XcAEfLQw?format=jpg&name=large

So they ARE doing the original originals!

I have one of the last Wilson authentic  prototypes produced before they finalized their design. Really the only difference is in number font...the 8 on my Brunell jersey doesn't have the angled counters (thus isn't bevel-block).

Makes me pine for what the old authentic jerseys used to look/feel like...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

6 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

If the broadcast wants to refer to Joe Gibbs or whomever, its easy enough in my opinions to just say "Washington" rather than "Commanders." I don't think anyone has to pretend this team has been called the Commanders since they were in Boston.*

*A good reminder that the original name was the Boston Braves piggybacking off of the baseball Boston Braves something incredibly common in the early NFL (see e.g. the Pittsburgh Pirates (Steelers), Brooklyn Dodgers (Colts!), New York Giants, and Chicago Bears).

The Braves still use that nickname after moving to Milwaukee then Atlanta and while there is some pressure to drop that name, it has never received nearly the same pressure because, frankly, its not a slur. Knowing even a tiny bit about George Preston Marshall, original Washington Owner, you can kinda see how that all went down and why its good that name was dropped.

I find it annoying when writers, particularly referring to Super Bowl teams, insist on avoiding the old nickname. It strikes me as virtue signaling; they could just as easily include an asterisk saying “this is what they were called then; today they are the Commanders; we do not endorse the old name but are including it for historical accuracy”. Instead they are trying to dance around it, and though they may have journalism degrees, they come off as a verbal Lorenzo Neal, not a verbal Barry Sanders. 

• Like 3
  • Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

GNfHYu2XcAEfLQw?format=jpg&name=large

I wanted to check the source, and it’s straight from the Jaguars Twitter account. This would infer block numbers but I am not 100% convinced. Antonio Brown’s network showed a possible leak with the modern numerals.

Now before you say “consider the source,” remember they absolutely nailed every aspect of the Broncos and Texans. I’m hoping it’s the modern numerals because those are definitely the better look. Block numbers are ok, and better than what they currently have, but still not as good.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

When Washington rarely wore the burgundy jerseys.

No Title

No Title

Washington Redskins v Houston Texans

When Houston still wore red socks with its blue pants…sigh. I miss that look. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

54 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I wanted to check the source, and it’s straight from the Jaguars Twitter account. This would infer block numbers but I am not 100% convinced. Antonio Brown’s network showed a possible leak with the modern numerals.

Now before you say “consider the source,” remember they absolutely nailed every aspect of the Broncos and Texans. I’m hoping it’s the modern numerals because those are definitely the better look. Block numbers are ok, and better than what they currently have, but still not as good.

Wouldn't read much into the font and such in that graphic. They're just playing off the X-Men '97 TV show that just came out.

xmen-97-button-1636738021246.jpg

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

56 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I find it annoying when writers, particularly referring to Super Bowl teams, insist on avoiding the old nickname. It strikes me as virtue signaling; they could just as easily include an asterisk saying “this is what they were called then; today they are the Commanders; we do not endorse the old name but are including it for historical accuracy”. 

The media class are the ones who made the change happen in the first place. They're not going to use it to talk about the '91 team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I find it annoying when writers, particularly referring to Super Bowl teams, insist on avoiding the old nickname. It strikes me as virtue signaling; they could just as easily include an asterisk saying “this is what they were called then; today they are the Commanders; we do not endorse the old name but are including it for historical accuracy”. Instead they are trying to dance around it, and though they may have journalism degrees, they come off as a verbal Lorenzo Neal, not a verbal Barry Sanders. 

Well, the old nickname is a slur.

There's no getting around that and its not inaccurate to say "Washington."

• Like 7
  • Eyeroll 3

20 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Well, the old nickname is a slur.

There's no getting around that and its not inaccurate to say "Washington."

I find myself saying “Washington” more often than not IRL

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

I find myself saying “Washington” more often than not IRL

I've been calling them the "Deadskins" and "Foreskins" for so long that all this nickname talk is moot. The team hasn't given me a reason to call them anything else at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, ptay said:

I've been calling them the "Deadskins" and "Foreskins" for so long that all this nickname talk is moot. The team hasn't given me a reason to call them anything else at the moment. 

Hey man, that’s pretty neat

• Like 1