2024 NFL Changes

I think it'd be neat to make a name that means nothing, and let everyone figure out what it is.  Like the 932s.  Is it for the century and year they were founded?  Is it some gang reference?  Is it the combined IQ of the defense?  Is it the number of bricks in some stupid part of the stupid stadium (ok, bad example, since the stadium is made of lead and plastic), etc.

But the right answer is Roosevelts, or Roseys for short.  And their rallying cry is "It's a New Deal, Yes it Is!"

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I think it'd be neat to make a name that means nothing, and let everyone figure out what it is.

Washington Bumps

Goose? Cocaine? Horrendous road conditions in the DC Metro area?

18 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

Show us the throwbacks you cowards!

Got a hint with Giants guy... winged helmet confirmed?

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

There is too much of this Washington Football Team (that's right, I'm still on that name which is No 2 behind Redtails) nickname thing that is built around spite.

The Quinn tee is clearly something made out of bitterness at having had to drop the name four years ago.  There's a lot of whining about the organization on multiple levels being dragged into the 21st Century that it so unbelievably childish from ostensible adults.

There was a myriad of ways this all could have gone down gracefully and it hasn't because a handful of rich guys are crabby at a decision being somewhat out of their total control.

Commanders isn't great, could be worse, lose the stencil numbers, drop the gradients and black trim on the road uniform and everybody lives.

The Washington Slurs are dead, move on.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Meh 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

lose the stencil numbers, drop the gradients and black trim on the road uniform and everybody lives.

Unis would still blow. The uniform they had during the WFT seasons is what they should be wearing.

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

Unis would still blow. The uniform they had during the WFT seasons is what they should be wearing.

Yeah, you’re absolutely right! They should be wearing these!

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Yeah, you’re absolutely right! They should be wearing these!

spacer.png

That should definitely be the alternate (possibly with the faux leather helmet). That black garbage they wear is embarrassing

• Like 8

People wouldn't hate the Commanders name if the uniforms weren't hot garbage. The Guardians name is just as mid but it was paired with classy, well-designed uniforms and seems to be catching on.

(And the Snyder factor. Can't forget that.)

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

That should definitely be the alternate (possibly with the faux leather helmet). That black garbage they wear is embarrassing

Nope. Make it the primary and come up with an away jersey to match. Slap the new W on the helmet and call it day.

5 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

People wouldn't hate the Commanders name if the uniforms weren't hot garbage. The Guardians name is just as mid but it was paired with classy, well-designed uniforms and seems to be catching on.

(And the Snyder factor. Can't forget that.)

No, I would hate the name "Commanders" just as much even if they had just slapped the new logo on the old helmet and uniforms. It's a dumb, clunky name that is too long and has no good short nickname. It's also a name that nobody asked for. When they polled fans, people overwhelmingly wanted some variation of Wolves, Hogs, or Redtails. And then they pulled Commanders out of their ass, which I don't even remember being discussed as an option.

Guardians worked because it has the same cadence as the previous name. Yes, keeping the uniforms similar helped, but the real key was finding a name that naturally fit into the flow of speech fans were used to. That's why I was a fan of going with Redtails, and why a lot of the favored names were Red______.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

spacer.png

2 hours ago, burgundy said:

No, I would hate the name "Commanders" just as much even if they had just slapped the new logo on the old helmet and uniforms. It's a dumb, clunky name that is too long and has no good short nickname. It's also a name that nobody asked for. When they polled fans, people overwhelmingly wanted some variation of Wolves, Hogs, or Redtails. And then they pulled Commanders out of their ass, which I don't even remember being discussed as an option.

Guardians worked because it has the same cadence as the previous name. Yes, keeping the uniforms similar helped, but the real key was finding a name that naturally fit into the flow of speech fans were used to. That's why I was a fan of going with Redtails, and why a lot of the favored names were Red______.

Bingo.

And for the record, I don't love Red Wolves, Hogs, or Redtails. But it will roll more naturally off the tongue and offer shorter nicknames that I can use in casual conversation. Plus it won't hurt that those names should offer a much better visual presentation for the logos and uniforms. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, burgundy said:

Commies, Manders, Mandies, 32s???

C’mon now. I know you’ve been around these boards long enough to see these being used.

3 hours ago, burgundy said:

See, ending in -dians is a hell of a lot different than starting a name with Red-. It gives fans an excuse and easy out to still use the old name. Doesn’t matter if it was Redwolves, Redtails, Redwhatever. The old name would come up a lot more. Detaching the brand completely from the old name was and is the only option.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Commies, Manders, Mandies, 32s???

C’mon now. I know you’ve been around these boards long enough to see these being used.

people use those nicknames, but that doesn't mean they're good. 

• Like 6
  • Yawn 2

spacer.png