2024 NFL Changes

Just now, rfraser85 said:

I don’t know if Nike and the helmet makers collaborate on colors, but if not they should. If all parties tell the NFL that they can’t make the colors match, maybe the mismatches can get stopped before they start. Or maybe this is why we’re seeing so many all black or white uniforms.

True.I know Riddell, Schutt, and a few others on the top of my head usually do the helmets. I never seen Nike ever make any helmets. But maybe that is the problem there. They NEED to collaborate.

5 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

True.I know Riddell, Schutt, and a few others on the top of my head usually do the helmets. I never seen Nike ever make any helmets. But maybe that is the problem there. They NEED to collaborate.

But there’s one other hurdle that must be cleared. The NFL has to want to listen and resolve the issue. Regardless of who makes what, the NFL has final say. And if they allow the mismatches to go through, the manufacturers will allow the mismatches to continue.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

Something  just dawned on me. Don’t the teams themselves paint the helmets? The manufacturers may be responsible for the holes in the helmets, but I don’t think they paint them.

Well, good question. I do remember they used to do the air brushing. I know the Cowboys do not use their original metallic blue grey color anymore and went with a lighter tone. I know the helmets start out white and brought to them in mass by Riddell, Schutt, etc. I know they have the equipment guys do it.

But now, I guess it's the manufacturer that takes care of that, while the teams usually do the maintenance work on the helmets (facemask, the chin straps, visors (if needed), etc. But, I seen manufacturers have the logos with them or print them out. They do the same for the college football teams and the UFL.

It’s either the teams them selves that paint the helmets or they send them out to one company to have the helmets painted. There is no way each helmet manufacturer is painting and finishing the helmets otherwise we would end up with different shades and finishes across teams because they wouldn’t match them exactly. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

18 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

Something  just dawned on me. Don’t the teams themselves paint the helmets? The manufacturers may be responsible for the holes in the helmets, but I don’t think they paint them.

I know for Salt Lake City in the AAF, all helmets were painted blue, then marked off and the silver paint was added on. Though I think all players had to wear Riddell so they all had the same base colors. Same applies for San Antonio's helmet I believe.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 hours ago, dont care said:

It’s either the teams them selves that paint the helmets or they send them out to one company to have the helmets painted. There is no way each helmet manufacturer is painting and finishing the helmets otherwise we would end up with different shades and finishes across teams because they wouldn’t match them exactly. 

Well you are forgetting the New York Giants and Los Angeles Rams from the 1971-2000. They had navy blue finish. Riddell did only one finish and that was what we saw in the 1980's and 1990's which was the sheen type that made the helmets look metallic. Schutt did the silver-blue colors well for the Cowboys, but instead they had to use another helmet company to use that paint.

Most likely most were Riddell and they have back then limited colors which is why the Rams and Giants had to use the navy blue shells instead of the academy royal blue shells the Broncos had.

25 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

Well you are forgetting the New York Giants and Los Angeles Rams from the 1971-2000. They had navy blue finish. Riddell did only one finish and that was what we saw in the 1980's and 1990's which was the sheen type that made the helmets look metallic. Schutt did the silver-blue colors well for the Cowboys, but instead they had to use another helmet company to use that paint.

Most likely most were Riddell and they have back then limited colors which is why the Rams and Giants had to use the navy blue shells instead of the academy royal blue shells the Broncos had.

Question I’ve never seen answered: why did the “academy royal blue” helmets seem to change color based on the lighting far more than any other color did? Half the time the Broncos appeared to be wearing Robin’s egg blue. Not complaining  - I loved that look - but have long been curious about it. 

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

Question I’ve never seen answered: why did the “academy royal blue” helmets seem to change color based on the lighting far more than any other color did? Half the time the Broncos appeared to be wearing Robin’s egg blue. Not complaining  - I loved that look - but have long been curious about it. 

I know in the 1980's or late 1980's, that the Broncos started utilizing a different type of blue thanks to the manufacturer that paints them. See, @dont care thinks that the teams paint their own helmets which he is stuck in his own timeline and not realized by the 1980's the same company that makes the helmets are also funded by the NFL and other football venues because the NFL individual teams did not have manpower or did not want to spend money on hiring their own guys out of their own pocket to pay them to painting the damn helmets themselves. The owners of those teams can save money on a manufacturer to do it and have more of the manpower in the assembly line of that whole company to do it. @dont care does not realize that logic since he is stuck in his time like I said.

But those owners are not going to waste their own money to have a private painter to paint their own helmets. Those days are gone. So, now we talk about the University of Kansas. Kansas had another company paint their helmets blue. At first, they did end up like Denver from 1979-1982 with the type of azure shell that looks close to a light azure blue with cyan to teal blue (which Robin's Egg Blue is). But from 1983-1987, they did jump on using navy blue shells because that manufacturer they were using like the other college football teams only used the blue the Broncos had, so they had to get another manufacturer in 1990, and sadly, it was out of pocket, and they had to pull strings with the University of Kansas Athletic Department just to do this. Once they got the ok to do so, that other company painted their helmets, and they paid that company money and that company is possibly the same one that does the Dallas Cowboy's helmets for a while probably til 1993 (but who knows).

University of Kansas is a unique situation as to the Giants and Rams could of did this in 1990, but Mara and Fontaine was very cheap when it came to that and did not want to pay out of pocket for that whereas they can save money on getting players instead of hiring or getting another company to paint their helmets a correct royal blue. See where I am going with this?

hqdefault.jpg

This is from 1994, and Kansas University is using the REAL royal blue helmets that now matches their jerseys.

Here is a list,

From 1983-1987, Kansas did use navy blue jerseys and ditched it by 1990's when another company got their royal blue correct. Riddell by 1990 did not have anything to do with Kansas Jayhawks helmet paint, but another company did.

Kansas - HELMET HISTORY

The Broncos possibly did not want to go through hoops and hurdles to have another company paint their helmets, so they took the Robin's Egg Blue that Riddell had to offer. Same goes for the Rams and Giants that took the navy blue instead. This does have to do with the money the owners have and they did not want to waste the money on the helmets, instead waste it on trying to get better players.

• WOAH 1

1 hour ago, dont care said:

I’d just like to know how I’m the one “stuck in my own time” when you are the one talking about 25+ years ago.

Maybe because in 1980, the NFL team owners wanted to save money and have Riddell do the shell painting, etc. The teams only have a guy that checks to equipment and etc. The rest is done by Riddell. 25+ years ago?!!! They have been letting Riddell, Bike, Schutt, etc paint the helmets for football teams SINCE 1979. Come on now!

• LOL 1

15 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

Maybe because in 1980, the NFL team owners wanted to save money and have Riddell do the shell painting, etc. The teams only have a guy that checks to equipment and etc. The rest is done by Riddell. 25+ years ago?!!! They have been letting Riddell, Bike, Schutt, etc paint the helmets for football teams SINCE 1979. Come on now!

So you have no proof from how it’s done currently, especially with teams that have the custom colors and finishes. You also have teams like the bengals who currently buy black helmets, mask the stripes and paint the helmets orange themselves. Michigan sends their helmets out to a company to have their wings painted on. 

• LOL 1

4 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

I know in the 1980's or late 1980's, that the Broncos started utilizing a different type of blue thanks to the manufacturer that paints them. See, @dont care thinks that the teams paint their own helmets which he is stuck in his own timeline and not realized by the 1980's the same company that makes the helmets are also funded by the NFL and other football venues because the NFL individual teams did not have manpower or did not want to spend money on hiring their own guys out of their own pocket to pay them to painting the damn helmets themselves. The owners of those teams can save money on a manufacturer to do it and have more of the manpower in the assembly line of that whole company to do it. @dont care does not realize that logic since he is stuck in his time like I said.

But those owners are not going to waste their own money to have a private painter to paint their own helmets. Those days are gone. So, now we talk about the University of Kansas. Kansas had another company paint their helmets blue. At first, they did end up like Denver from 1979-1982 with the type of azure shell that looks close to a light azure blue with cyan to teal blue (which Robin's Egg Blue is). But from 1983-1987, they did jump on using navy blue shells because that manufacturer they were using like the other college football teams only used the blue the Broncos had, so they had to get another manufacturer in 1990, and sadly, it was out of pocket, and they had to pull strings with the University of Kansas Athletic Department just to do this. Once they got the ok to do so, that other company painted their helmets, and they paid that company money and that company is possibly the same one that does the Dallas Cowboy's helmets for a while probably til 1993 (but who knows).

University of Kansas is a unique situation as to the Giants and Rams could of did this in 1990, but Mara and Fontaine was very cheap when it came to that and did not want to pay out of pocket for that whereas they can save money on getting players instead of hiring or getting another company to paint their helmets a correct royal blue. See where I am going with this?

hqdefault.jpg

This is from 1994, and Kansas University is using the REAL royal blue helmets that now matches their jerseys.

Here is a list,

From 1983-1987, Kansas did use navy blue jerseys and ditched it by 1990's when another company got their royal blue correct. Riddell by 1990 did not have anything to do with Kansas Jayhawks helmet paint, but another company did.

Kansas - HELMET HISTORY

The Broncos possibly did not want to go through hoops and hurdles to have another company paint their helmets, so they took the Robin's Egg Blue that Riddell had to offer. Same goes for the Rams and Giants that took the navy blue instead. This does have to do with the money the owners have and they did not want to waste the money on the helmets, instead waste it on trying to get better players.

So you’re saying that after 198x the Broncos no longer wore robin’s egg blue? Or they didn’t start wearing it until 198x? And how much was dependent on the lighting? For example, in SB XII and SB XXIV, both player in the Superdome, they more or less appear to be wearing royal blue helmets, but in SB XXI and SB XXII, both played outdoors in Southern California, they appear to be wearing robin’s egg blue. 

1 hour ago, dont care said:

So you have no proof from how it’s done currently, especially with teams that have the custom colors and finishes. You also have teams like the bengals who currently buy black helmets, mask the stripes and paint the helmets orange themselves. Michigan sends their helmets out to a company to have their wings painted on. 

Those logos are not painted! They are printed! PRINTED! There are a few that are painted. But most are printed logos. Even if theyt did Michigan., then it is PRINTED in all or 95% of the time they make helmets.

Cincinatti Bengals: the manufacturers started doing that FOR the BENGALS, GENIUS! None of those owners are not going to spend so much money on having their own manufacturing company to have their helmets made. That would cut cost on players salary! Do you not see the business side of it?

Cincinatti has RIDDELL, BIKE, SCHUTT, OR WHOEVER DOES THEIR HELMETS, PAINT THE BLACK HELMETS FOR THEM, THE TEAM DOES NOT DO THAT!

1 minute ago, MCM0313 said:

So you’re saying that after 198x the Broncos no longer wore robin’s egg blue? Or they didn’t start wearing it until 198x? And how much was dependent on the lighting? For example, in SB XII and SB XXIV, both player in the Superdome, they more or less appear to be wearing royal blue helmets, but in SB XXI and SB XXII, both played outdoors in Southern California, they appear to be wearing robin’s egg blue. 

By the late 1980's (1989 to be exact) is where the blue started being robins egg blue because Denver got tired of spending money on another company painting their helmets the royal blue that University of Kansas settled with because it was close to their jersey colors.

What happened was that the Broncos was stuck with the choice (since they did not want to spend money on the other helmet manufacturers doing their helmets) navy blue or azure (the blue that the Lions use since it looks almost close to that blue). So, the Broncos opt for the Detroit Lions looking azure for their helmets and decided to go with that.

By the 2000's, different versions of the paints or new paints because of the expanding painting companies decided to diversify in the idea of shell finishing which is why the Giants jumped on that so fast that in 1998, they gave the NFL a heads up that they were going to change their uniforms and by 2000, their wish happened. 1998 was the year because if you look at how they rid the finish on the Raiders 1998 look, it does not look like silver with a slight cyan finish anymore. It looks more like the regular silver that it is supposed to be.

22 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

Those logos are not painted! They are printed! PRINTED! There are a few that are painted. But most are printed logos. Even if theyt did Michigan., then it is PRINTED in all or 95% of the time they make helmets.

Cincinatti Bengals: the manufacturers started doing that FOR the BENGALS, GENIUS! None of those owners are not going to spend so much money on having their own manufacturing company to have their helmets made. That would cut cost on players salary! Do you not see the business side of it?

Cincinatti has RIDDELL, BIKE, SCHUTT, OR WHOEVER DOES THEIR HELMETS, PAINT THE BLACK HELMETS FOR THEM, THE TEAM DOES NOT DO THAT!

Printing is something that’s done on paper. How do you “print” on a helmet? Come on dude. Come back with something better than that.

https://mvictors.com/tag/painting-michigan-helmet/

8 minutes ago, dont care said:

Printing is something that’s done on paper. How do you “print” on a helmet? Come on dude. Come back with something better than that.

In this video, you can see that the Browns' helmet stripes are printed adhesive decals that are stuck on to helmets individually. (1:03 if the link doesn't embed properly)

This is true of every team's decals, including stripes and logos.

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

9 minutes ago, sky1324 said:

In this video, you can see that the Browns' helmet stripes are printed adhesive decals that are stuck on to helmets individually. (1:03 if the link doesn't embed properly)

This is true of every team's decals, including stripes and logos.

And that’s done by the teams, even still that isn’t what’s being discussed. It’s the painting of the shells themselves. I’ve provided 2 examples of teams currently either painting the shells themselves or having them done by a third party for custom paint jobs. He’s still using an example from the 80’s

16 minutes ago, dont care said:

And that’s done by the teams, even still that isn’t what’s being discussed. It’s the painting of the shells themselves. I’ve provided 2 examples of teams currently either painting the shells themselves or having them done by a third party for custom paint jobs. He’s still using an example from the 80’s

Because by 1987, the same process you see how the video that @sky1324 showed in the video there, they been doing that since the 1980's. They were never painting the helmets. Painting the stripes on the helmets ended during the early to mid 1980's. So, this is the SAME process they have been doing since the 1980's. Individual teams do not paint the helmets as to Riddell does the painting of the shells. The logos are printed just like the mid to late 1980's. They been doing that process. Logos were not painted anymore by the mid to late 1980's.