2024 NFL Changes

2 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

Those pants were probably mothballed. They only wore them once, but the reaction was so negative the gold pants haven't been used since. I still think the Ravens were sampling gold as a base for Color Rush, but the reaction caused them to change course.

The Ravens really only need 6 or 7 combos to me:

White jersey with white or purple pants and black socks

Purple jersey with white or purple pants and black socks

Black jersey with white pants and black socks

Blackout

Color Rush

As for the Eagles, they need to lose the white socks, especially with the green jersey. The white pants and socks look reminds me of pajamas with feet on them. Maybe silver pants would help, or the Eagles could start wearing green socks again with the white pants.

You would be shocked at the capacity of an equipment manager to hold on to old stuff.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2024 at 8:03 PM, rfraser85 said:

One I’d like to see for the Seahawks is navy/green/green/navy. I feel like that would be the best look with the green jersey given what the Seahawks currently have.

The problem with that is that the green jersey shouldn't exist in the first place.

4 hours ago, SportsFan12 said:

Eagles also posted their combos for some reason. White over black seems to be extremely popular among those who commented, which is shocking since fans on social media generally have great taste.

Out of five non-throwback combos, there is one (1) where the pants and socks do not match. For shame.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

44 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Out of five non-throwback combos, there is one (1) where the pants and socks do not match. For shame.

Petty as it may seem, I find it impossible to root for the Eagles as long as they do that nonsense (unless they’re playing someone the Bengals need them to beat). 

• WOAH 1

1 hour ago, SportsFan12 said:

The Jets and Eagles may use a similar formula, but the black pants were never  intended to be paired with other jerseys for obvious reasons.

Yeah ofc, but the eagles used to wear black jerseys with white and green pants,  which I thought was good. White/black was a cool experiment but way overdone by both teams. I was hoping the jets would pair their black jerseys with either white or green pants as well.

50 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Petty as it may seem, I find it impossible to root for the Eagles as long as they do that nonsense (unless they’re playing someone the Bengals need them to beat). 

Be prepared to hate-watch over half the league at this point then

8 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Not necessarily.  The Jets might be willing to throw a few dollars that way just to get rid of the annoyance.  

I'm obviously not a lawyer, but if they really think they're in the right, they won't throw a few dollars at him because that could set a precedent that could create exposure for other teams if/when similar situations present themselves.

The Jets are probably in the right, and it's interesting how they stressed that they have used the mark continuously, which jibes with other trademark discussions we've had here where people with actual knowledge have said that some teams only sell throwback stuff to make it so the mark never goes unused and lost.  If the trademark is lost, I wonder if he could reclaim ownership of the logo and then demand payment?  Seems far fetched, but maybe that's his argument.  If I'm the Jets, I'm really not sweating it.

6 hours ago, SportsFan12 said:

Eagles also posted their combos for some reason. White over black seems to be extremely popular among those who commented, which is shocking since fans on social media generally have great taste.

Funny, because when they wear that combo, the comments on the tweets are usually about how awful they look.  Anecdotally, of the 5% of people I know that actually care about the uniforms, I don't know anyone that doesn't hate it.  Also anecdotally, the white over green is far more popular than white over white, and the all black is pretty much split 50/50 (I hate the black jersey in principal, so I don't care what pants they wear it with, it shouldn't exist.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 minutes ago, BadSeed84 said:

The Eagles too lazy to photoshop their current wordmark on the uniforms for that pic.

Haha nice catch.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

I think there are some teams that can have a lot of combos and maintain their brand and some teams that can't. For whatever reason, I think it works for Baltimore. 

can is not the same as need

I get what you're saying as it would relate to the Ravens. Their combos of purple/black/white are all definitely them. But if they only wore purple over white and white over black (pants/jersey, for example), it's not like they would ever look bad.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

I think there are some teams that can have a lot of combos and maintain their brand and some teams that can't. For whatever reason, I think it works for Baltimore. 

It might be having four colors done right. The Ravens use of gold as the main accent on the jersey numbers allows for easy swapping for the primaries, and the black is an easy switch for purple on the alternates. Having black helmets and socks also gives a solid bookend for the full uniform. The key for the pants, at least white and purple, is the Ravens simply reversed the white and purple.

The Jaguars could do something like this the next time they change uniforms, just replace purple with teal.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

It might be having four colors done right. The Ravens use of gold as the main accent on the jersey numbers allows for easy swapping for the primaries, and the black is an easy switch for purple on the alternates. Having black helmets and socks also gives a solid bookend for the full uniform. The key for the pants, at least white and purple, is the Ravens simply reversed the white and purple.

The Jaguars could do something like this the next time they change uniforms, just replace purple with teal.

The only reason for the gold or mustard gold is to make sure the purple and black do not blend with each other. Reasons why TCU tried hard to unify red into the color and Northwestern was having a hard time trying to make their uniforms look good.

17 hours ago, throwmesomepics said:

White/black was a cool experiment

I remember the Jets did it for a random Thursday night game at Indy in 2021. And yes, I suppose as a ONE-TIME THING, it would've been an okay experiment., but then the Eagles went and tried the exact same combo literally a week later, which is the opposite of cool. And as you said, it has been overdone since then by both teams. At least the Jets hopefully seem to be sticking with traditional combos now, and the Eagles only wore it once last season at the Jets, which actually sort of made sense.

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

The only reason for the gold or mustard gold is to make sure the purple and black do not blend with each other. Reasons why TCU tried hard to unify red into the color and Northwestern was having a hard time trying to make their uniforms look good.

Fair enough, but I'm thinking about four color teams in general. @fouhy12 brought up the Ravens, so that's who I used for my points. The concepts can also work for teams that use gold or silver as the primary accent color, such as the Jaguars or Panthers.

It's funny that all three teams I thought of for this are the 90's teams.

• WOAH 1

13 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

can is not the same as need

I get what you're saying as it would relate to the Ravens. Their combos of purple/black/white are all definitely them. But if they only wore purple over white and white over black (pants/jersey, for example), it's not like they would ever look bad.

Helmet and socks always black. Purple jersey with white pants and white jersey with purple pants. THAT would never look bad. Their black pants look awful. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SportsFan12 said:

I remember the Jets did it for a random Thursday night game at Indy in 2021. And yes, I suppose as a ONE-TIME THING, it would've been an okay experiment., but then the Eagles went and tried the exact same combo literally a week later, which is the opposite of cool. And as you said, it has been overdone since then by both teams. At least the Jets hopefully seem to be sticking with traditional combos now, and the Eagles only wore it once last season at the Jets, which actually sort of made sense.

spacer.png

The Broncos tried a similar idea in 2022 and it looked even worse, given the color mismatch on the side panels.

7 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

Fair enough, but I'm thinking about four color teams in general. @fouhy12 brought up the Ravens, so that's who I used for my points. The concepts can also work for teams that use gold or silver as the primary accent color, such as the Jaguars or Panthers.

It's funny that all three teams I thought of for this are the 90's teams.

To me, the 1980's teams was the Buccaneers and Seahawks due to their uniform designs and the colors used in 1976 showing that the 1980's was coming. Same goes for the 1980's versions of the Giants, Falcons, Jets, and (Commanders).

Oilers was 1973 through the jerseys and 1975 through the white helmets that made their uniforms famous (Warren Moon, Haywood Jefferies, Lorenzo White, Ray Childress, Bruce Matthews, etc) So, I do not consider the iconic Oliers uniforms as 1980's uniforms because the jerseys they had with it debut in 1973, then the new helmet in 1975 making it a mid 1970's uniform.

1990's is certain with Carolina Panthers, Jacksonville Jaguars, Baltimore Ravens, due to the colorful and richness they carry with the style.

2000's is more the Houston Texans range with those plain uniforms they had with the number font which was safe and smarter while other teams started doing the Reebok goofiness with the piping and shoulder yolk, the silly Cincinatti uniform crap, the ugly uniforms the Vikings had. They were just butt ugly and used to clean yourself instead of being worn.