2024 NFL Changes

17 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Carolina’s refusal to eliminate either the sleeve logo or the comically tiny shoulder numbers is a clear cut killer to the set.

spacer.png

I'd like to direction some attention to the helmet in this image which shows the Axiom fitted with last year's bottom bars only design:

I like this design.

Especially when it's contrasting. It looks like a throwback to the single and double bar era facemasks the the attachment was solely at the chin and how that design became enshrined in team logos.

USATSI_23969350-scaled.jpg

de5ba63a48a861397a08aa81bab4d134.jpg

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

48 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'd like to direction some attention to the helmet in this image which shows the Axiom fitted with last year's bottom bars only design:

I like this design.

Especially when it's contrasting. It looks like a throwback to the single and double bar era facemasks the the attachment was solely at the chin and how that design became enshrined in team logos.

Man. The late ‘70s thru mid ‘90s - I know there were a lot of changes in that time, but the overall aesthetic, particularly around decorative, illustrated (rather than photo-based) items like these, was just so consistently fantastic. 

The above is quite clearly a product of the 1980s - Bengals have stripes, Falcons are still red, lots of colored facemasks- but, with fairly simple stylistic updates, NFL-branded products continued to look similar to this until…I’d go with the twin rebrands of Denver and Tampa in 1997, and then they strove more for modernism. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Alright, I'm going to have to get this off my chest as a Broncos fan...

Denver Broncos Player Grades From 27-2 Preseason Win Over Green Bay Packers

Denver Broncos at Indianapolis Colts: The No Bull Preseason Review - Mile  High Report

Denver Broncos RB Javonte Williams 'Not Worried at All' About Offensive  Struggles

The fact that the Broncos can mix and match pants and jersey options and look good in almost every single one is SO refreshing as a long-time follower. Is the uniform set as a whole perfect? No. Is it going to age poorly? Probably. But being able to see some more color variety without the whole side panel drama is so nice! I just wish we could have seen the Orange jersey in-game sooner. 

Can't wait for the Throwbacks. As someone who was born after the Elway era, I've always wanted to see that classic look in-game. And this coming from someone who was obsessed with the Yellow/Brown Vertical Stripe Sock throwback look from 2009!

As another side note, jeez those shoulders are begging for TV numbers!

I maintain that Denver's new uniforms are fantastic. It helps that the only things I don't like about them (the weird helmet stripes and triangles on the jersey) are pretty much invisible unless you're looking up close.

• Like 6
  • Dislike 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

5 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I like this design.

Someone should recreate that poster with current teams axiom helmets

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Carolina’s refusal to eliminate either the sleeve logo or the comically tiny shoulder numbers is a clear cut killer to the set.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think they could flip the logo and the numbers and get the numbers a little bigger. 

I wouldn't fundamentally change the Panthers set, but the all-white has gotten a little tired for them. Black-black-blue-black and black-white-black-blue would rejuvenate things a bit there. I don't think silver/grey needs to be that much a part of their palette. 

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

14 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Someone should recreate that poster with current teams axiom helmets

Nike I know on the college level has shirts that use the single/two bar helmets on t-shirts.

13 hours ago, HopewellJones said:

I still hate the new Broncos set with a burning passion. When I see pictures of the now-old set, I weep.

Here's my take... When a team CAN look better and HAS looked better, it bothers me way more than a franchise that seems to be struggling to find a strong identity. The Broncos are in that boat. I know throwbacks are trendy and some are based in pure nostalgia, but when a franchise has a look as good as the Bronco's throwback in their arsenal and then they roll out this mess, it drives me nuts. 

On the other hand, take the Vikings throwback. I dig it. Looks great. But, it really doesn't do much more for me than their current home/away. Their current set looks like a great classy update to a pretty strong uniform history. So in that scenario, the throwback is much better as a few times per year uniform. 

I guess my point is that, yes throwbacks might be a little over done currently, but there are scenarios where they are the franchise's best look by far. Denver fits in that category for me. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Imagine thinking the Broncos don’t look better

I think what were seeing is a split between what people hoped (modern version of throwbacks) vs what we got (new, gimmickyish set). They do look better and I think most people would agree and reinforce what you're saying, however, I think a lot of people were wanting something specific (I.e. the throwbacks) and are kinda choosing to not see the new set in a positive manner. I think it is better, I'd argue it looks off but any new uniform set will do that when it hasn't been worn for a long period of time.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

On 9/17/2024 at 4:19 PM, BBTV said:

In cursive, but can you provide an example of  it in print?  I haven’t seen that. 

The Islanders use the extended tail on the Y in their logo.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Imagine thinking the Broncos don’t look better

Imagine seeing what invokes the logo of your division rival on the sleeve of your new uniform and thinking 'yeah, this is ok'.

As @WBeltz said (paraphrasing), they could have looked so much better.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, WBeltz said:

I think what were seeing is a split between what people hoped (modern version of throwbacks) vs what we got (new, gimmickyish set). They do look better and I think most people would agree and reinforce what you're saying, however, I think a lot of people were wanting something specific (I.e. the throwbacks) and are kinda choosing to not see the new set in a positive manner. I think it is better, I'd argue it looks off but any new uniform set will do that when it hasn't been worn for a long period of time.

Exactly this. Objectively it's not the worst design, but I wanted the Broncos to go in a completely different direction than what we got (I'll count myself in the group that wanted an update on the throwbacks). Instead we're stuck looking at the same dull colors, now with almost zero sock contrast, for at least the next five years.

• Like 2