2024 NFL Changes

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

a flat gray and white image should not influence a teams actual color scheme.  

in full color, real life, it looks amazing.  Not everything needs super juiced contrast.  

The desaturated image is only to help illustrate why the two colors don't work together in full color...  It's not a matter of "super juiced contrast," it's there needs to be some contrast at all (which there's not). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

a flat gray and white image should not influence a teams actual color scheme.  

in full color, real life, it looks amazing.  Not everything needs super juiced contrast.  

A greyscale image is not the point.  It's used to illustrate the underlying reasons as to why the color scheme is less than ideal when it comes to creating visual separation between colors.

"It looks amazing!" is a perfectly fine opinion to have, but there are reasons things actually work as a part of a complete visual composition.

Overall, it's like arguing punk rock vs. orchestral music, but the underlying principals are the underlying principals.

• Like 1

Last post from me, but just to reiterate the point one more time... It's not an orange-and-blue problem. It's a that particular shade of blue with that particular shade of orange problem.

This color scheme works:

detroitdrivewhitenumbers.png?v=171815649

The Florida Gators colors work as well:

Florida-Gators-quarterback-Anthony-Richa

Even the mid-90s Broncos when they darkened the helmet (yes, the team fixed it in the mid-90s) looks great:

john-elway-denver-broncos-quarterback-in

Sean-Payton-Special-Teams.jpg

These specific helmet and jersey colors - not the jersey design, not the logo, not the numbers, not the stripes - the colors only don't gel: 

fpsy6czq2zhw5r4td952.jpg

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, Captain Poncho said:

A greyscale image is not the point.  It's used to illustrate the underlying reasons as to why the color scheme is less than ideal when it comes to creating visual separation between colors.

"It looks amazing!" is a perfectly fine opinion to have, but there are reasons things actually work as a part of a complete visual composition.

Overall, it's like arguing punk rock vs. orchestral music, but the underlying principals are the underlying principals.

My point is that his "version" is wrong.  There is in actuality plenty of contrast between the broncos orange and blue in that 77 throwback.

For example:

ocMMAuC.png

nzTC9c8.png

There is plenty of visual hierarchy between the orange jersey, blue stripes, white numbers and blue helmet.

I think the value issue is overstated here. I see the problem there with fire-engine red and kelly green, but that problem doesn't continue the whole way around the color wheel, in my opinion. I can take or leave the logos and uniforms, but the Broncos look great in brighter colors. 

• Like 8

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

My point is that his "version" is wrong.  There is in actuality plenty of contrast between the broncos orange and blue in that 77 throwback.

For example:

ocMMAuC.png

nzTC9c8.png

There is plenty of visual hierarchy between the orange jersey, blue stripes, white numbers and blue helmet.

Agree on the blue stripes being fine... but the helmet is not the same shade as the stripes on the jersey or the number outline. If it was the same shade of blue, there wouldn't be this problem. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GFB said:

These specific helmet and jersey colors - not the jersey design, not the logo, not the numbers, not the stripes - the colors only don't gel: 

fpsy6czq2zhw5r4td952.jpg

I feel like you are picking and choosing only images where the blue is super washed out....

Like this image from the Broncos website does NOT look like that:

eOfP8ba.png

OExMDcc.png

Or this taken from my TV....

dp6OPKD.png'

Both show plenty of contrast and WAY more than you are acting like exists:

pWqqiFP.jpeg

Somehow in your version they are the same, and I agree would be an issue, but the actual version in real life has plenty of value difference between the two colors.

• Applause 1

28 minutes ago, GFB said:

Last post from me, but just to reiterate the point one more time... It's not an orange-and-blue problem. It's a that particular shade of blue with that particular shade of orange problem.

This color scheme works:

Even the mid-90s Broncos when they darkened the helmet (yes, the team fixed it in the mid-90s) looks great:

john-elway-denver-broncos-quarterback-in

Sean-Payton-Special-Teams.jpg

fpsy6czq2zhw5r4td952.jpg

The Broncos helmet was pretty consistent.  Photography was inconsistent. 

This is 1996. All of these are closer to the Ole Miss blue (and the 2024 helmets) than the Duke royal blue. 

Denver Broncos - 1996 Season Recap - RetroSeasons.com

Elway, Davis and the “Orange Crush” highlight Broncos all-time team —  Inside The Hashes

Terrell Davis DENVER BRONCOS NFL Football 1996 Original 35mm Photo Slide |  eBay

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I feel like you are picking and choosing only images where the blue is super washed out....

Like this image from the Broncos website does NOT look like that:

eOfP8ba.png

OExMDcc.png

Or this taken from my TV....

dp6OPKD.png'

Both show plenty of contrast and WAY more than you are acting like exists:

pWqqiFP.jpeg

Somehow in your version they are the same, and I agree would be an issue, but the actual version in real life has plenty of value difference between the two colors.

It'd definitely a reproduction issue. There are times where it looks like there's just enough contrast, like the ones you shared above.

However, there's also times where the lighting is unkind and it does slip into what I shared earlier (which is untouched from the original post, short of the desaturation):

From the Broncos website:

clyztsr1eo2abjecmvrm

nd5CPnF.png

From the FOX broadcast:

z5qajcvahtkdvemt3iat

2OpBqDh.png

From Getty Images:

GettyImages-2176306217-scaled.jpg

L56YSY7.png

It just depends on the lighting. Sometimes it's fine, other times it's not... but this has been a problem with those uniforms going all the way back to their original use...

D57Q3VHM63GUBTTI2DI27T7BYQ.jpg

0-season-FDENB-1989.jpg

...which is why they should adjust the value of the blue helmet to avoid those instances.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The Broncos helmet was pretty consistent.  Photography was inconsistent. 

I was going off of the mothership which noted the distinction.

rFNDMII.png

I guess you could read this as a graphic update and not a helmet update, but it feels like a weird distinction for Chris to make if so.

Updating the helmet graphic but not the actual helmet seems like something the NFL would have done at the time. Even 1993 was still kind of the Wild West for branding, albeit the tail end of it. The Rams had a navy helmet with royal blue jerseys right up through 1999, which is still crazy to me.

• Like 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

Either one of these would be a good use case for the Giants finish:

east-rutherford-nj-a-general-view-of-a-n

A lot of people could benefit from using that finish. Even fictional ones - among my few complaints about the new TeamBuilder website is that it lacks an option for metallic helmet paint. I think all three options in the program (matte, glossy, chrome) should have the option for a metal-flake finish, with 1-3 flake colors. 

27 minutes ago, GFB said:

It'd definitely a reproduction issue. There are times where it looks like there's just enough contrast, like the ones you shared above.

However, there's also times where the lighting is unkind and it does slip into what I shared earlier (which is untouched from the original post, short of the desaturation):

From the Broncos website:

clyztsr1eo2abjecmvrm

nd5CPnF.png

From the FOX broadcast:

z5qajcvahtkdvemt3iat

2OpBqDh.png

From Getty Images:

GettyImages-2176306217-scaled.jpg

L56YSY7.png

It just depends on the lighting. Sometimes it's fine, other times it's not... but this has been a problem with those uniforms going all the way back to their original use...

D57Q3VHM63GUBTTI2DI27T7BYQ.jpg

0-season-FDENB-1989.jpg

...which is why they should adjust the value of the blue helmet to avoid those instances.

I actually liked it BETTER when the helmet looked more sky blue. Even with non-matching shades of blue, and the helmet and orange jersey having very similar saturation. 

23 minutes ago, GFB said:

I was going off of the mothersite which noted the distinction.

rFNDMII.png

I guess you could read this as a graphic update and not a helmet update, but it feels like a weird distinction for Chris to make if so.

Where’s 1975-92?

Anyway, I believe the Broncos cleaned up the snotty horse slightly in 1993, and Chris for whatever reason chose to use their “official” (pre-cyberhorse) shade of blue for the site’s 1993-96 helmet logo. I don’t believe the shells ever changed color from about 1981 or so up through 1996. 

EDIT: or is that even the shade of royal blue they used? It looks darker, but not as dark as the shades of navy they have used since. 

• Like 1

I completely understand the issue that @GFB raises about the Broncos throwback's orange and blue values being too similar, but for some reason it doesn't bother me. I just absolutely love  that robins egg blue helmet, I really wish that was their full-time shade of blue.

A darker shade of blue, like what the Gators use, would probably work better on a technical level (and I'd honestly be fine with that, it'd at least be better than navy), but that robins egg blue is just so unique, especially paired with orange, and in my opinion looks great. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Aardvark said:

BTW the bronco in the D logo looks like he is shooting a laser, which is really cool

I used to think the mane and mane curve was the horse's faces and mouth when I was younger. I used to think "what kind of horse is that? and why is it looking back? it's neck must hurt 😅

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

14 hours ago, GFB said:

I was going off of the mothership which noted the distinction.

rFNDMII.png

The full uniform section for the Broncos on the mothership doesn't have an updated helmet in 1993.  Helmet History  and Helmet Project don't show a change in color in 1993.. GUD shows a lighter helmet color in 1993 compared to 1992. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Geez, I know I grew up to the Broncos old 1968-1996 uniforms, but geez, the obsessed love for these makes me want to give them an orange helmet and blue jersey similar to University of Florida. I think flipping the helmet and jersey colors would make them unique. But people do not want them like University of Florida because they love the orange jerseys.

What is this hard love for orange? They love the orange jerseys of the Broncos, the orange helmets of the Browns (but do not like the golden yellow and brown combos of Wyoming; however, the Broncos 1960-1961 uniforms were God awful due to the execution of them or whoever they borrowed them from), but man. The love for orange is so strong here. I am 44 years old and my favorite color combos are usually blue and yellow-gold, scarlet and slate, burgundy and red-orange, green and white, etc.