Wideright's NFL Redux 2024-- MIA/BUF Added 3/16

WideRight

4 hours ago, udubfan19 said:

they were supposed to bring back the black jerseys for 2016 but were never featured on Thursday night that year, them & Washington were the only ones to never wear their color rush jerseys as everybody else either A: was on Thursday night between 2016-17, or B: redesigned their uniforms after 2018, (there were 3 uniform redesigned from 2014-2017 being Tampa, Cleveland, and Detroit)

0-16

NOT 2016

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

I decided to take another crack at the Lions, removing some of the unfortunate 0-16, Matt Millen era items (number font for example) and doubling down on the Northwestern Stripe motif by adding it to the numerals.  Switched the pant stripe around as well. Perhaps a bit too new-school for the Lions, but it still maintains the NW Stripe as well, so maybe not. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Out of curiosity, what would the pants striping look like if the NW stripe was repeated down the side?

I tried several versions.  Did not care for the blue on silver with no white, but then when I added white to imitate the sleeve stripes it got way too busy.  If you look at version 1, I think that is the best pure "vertical" stripe version I could come up with. 

And one more for this morning, a very retro pastiche look at the Philadelphia Eagles. 

spacer.png

NOTES:

I wanted to bring back the Carmichael/Jaworski/Montgomery era look I remember as a child, but not lose a lot of the newer elements, so...

• a version of the multiple stripe sleeving from the 80's
  • a color lighter than Midnight Green, but not all the way back to Kelly, with still some blue to it. Let's call it 9pm Green since it is not nearly as dark. 
  • Kept the more modern main logo and number font. 
  • Kept the current wings, which I think are just perfect. 
  • Modified the pant stripe
  • They can and do wear the white jersey with silver pants, but (as per my rule about unitards) never the green pants with the green jersey (but not a real green dress, that's cruel, to quote BNL).
  • Added an alt that brings back the simplicity of the Randall Cunningham era, but with the white helmet from the 60's (70's?) but also the newer eagle head logo in place of the flying eagle logo. 

It is another mix-up of past eras with just a bit of new.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I tried several versions.  Did not care for the blue on silver with no white, but then when I added white to imitate the sleeve stripes it got way too busy.  If you look at version 1, I think that is the best pure "vertical" stripe version I could come up with. 

What I meant was the pants stripe on the second version, but simply “copy and pasted” down the leg of the pants.

As in something like-

➖➖

◼️◼️

➖➖

◼️◼️

➖➖

◼️◼️

➖➖

If that makes any sense. Obviously without the breaks in the lines

Having already posted my concepts for the Cards, Niners, and Seahawks, I figured I should wrap up the NFC West with the Rams. 

spacer.png

NOTES

1. Brought back the St. Louis Ram logo with the new brighter colors. 

2. A return again to my youth and the ram horns on the sleeves, now with the split from the current design.

3. Not sure about the home blues having a white horn segment, but the blue just did not make sense. 

4. Wide pant stripes, like the 9ers, just works for the Rams' yellow pant set. 

5. Decided to go with white numbers on the blue jerseys because otherwise it is a lot of yellow.

6. Added some white highlights to the helmet design, just to add a bit more contrast. 

7. The Alt is a fauxback to the days when the Rams were a blue and white team, without the gold. 

All in all, a design I could see Vince Ferragamo or Eric Dickerson applauding. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

I would change the sleeves on the home jersey to blue with yellow horns.

That does make sense.  I went back and looked at some Dickerson jerseys and that is what it was, so here is a revision.  

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, WideRight said:

That does make sense.  I went back and looked at some Dickerson jerseys and that is what it was, so here is a revision.  

spacer.png

Much, much better! I love it already! White numbers can work to justify the white stripe on the blue stripe on the yellow pants.

OK, a major drop as I completed the three remaining NFC south teams over the weekend.  Most needed only minor tweaks.  Only Atlanta was a major overhaul.  So, we will start with the minor adjustments and then hit the Falcons. 

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

spacer.png

NOTES

1. Back to gold pants as the norm, and stripes on pants as the requirement. 

2. Gold lettering, but i stuck with the lighter, more modern gold. 

3. Brought back the Louisiana Fleur De Lis secondary as a chest patch. 

4. Added numbers to the pants just to try something a bit different. 

5. Went for a black over black alternate even though I generally don't like unitards.  Striping helps.

6. Revived the old shield logo and use it at the base of the helmet stripe. 

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

spacer.png

NOTES

1. Pretty much their current jerseys/pants but with a new number font. 

2. Decided to remove the flag from the logo and just go with the skull & crossbones.

3. Tried out a few alts, but ended up just ensuring that they have a Bucco Bruce creamsicle option.  Generally I am assuming that all teams have a throwback look, so my alt uni is not that, but with Tampa Bay, the throwback is so essential that I thought it was the only alt uni they needed. 

ATLANTA FALCONS

spacer.png

NOTES:

1. I know a lot of folks want a straight-up throwback look, but I generally don't.  Not for Atlanta.  So, I tried to merge some elements of older looks with some new elements.  

2. The helmet works for me as black on black.  Saving the red option for the alt look. 

3. Decided a version of what the NY Jets currently do works better for the Falcons, and I like it more than the side panel stripes on the current jersey.

4. With Atlanta, it is more about taking away bad elements (oversized ATL on front, side panels, ombre jersey, etc.) and going with a more basic but still modern take on a red jersey and silver pants (or black). 

5. The Alt is again not a pure throwback, but includes a bit of a mix of old and new in the helmet, then just a black alternate jersey and a white pant set.  I could see the Falcons combining these looks in lots of ways (Red helmet w. red jersey and silver pants, all black alt, black jersey and helmet with silver pants, etc.).

So, there you go, the entire NFC South is done, as is the NFC West.  Next up is likely the NFC East. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

59 minutes ago, WideRight said:

OK, a major drop as I completed the three remaining NFC south teams over the weekend.  Most needed only minor tweaks.  Only Atlanta was a major overhaul.  So, we will start with the minor adjustments and then hit the Falcons. 

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

spacer.png

NOTES

1. Back to gold pants as the norm, and stripes on pants as the requirement. 

2. Gold lettering, but i stuck with the lighter, more modern gold. 

3. Brought back the Louisiana Fleur De Lis secondary as a chest patch. 

4. Added numbers to the pants just to try something a bit different. 

5. Went for a black over black alternate even though I generally don't like unitards.  Striping helps.

6. Revived the old shield logo and use it at the base of the helmet stripe. 

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

spacer.png

NOTES

1. Pretty much their current jerseys/pants but with a new number font. 

2. Decided to remove the flag from the logo and just go with the skull & crossbones.

3. Tried out a few alts, but ended up just ensuring that they have a Bucco Bruce creamsicle option.  Generally I am assuming that all teams have a throwback look, so my alt uni is not that, but with Tampa Bay, the throwback is so essential that I thought it was the only alt uni they needed. 

ATLANTA FALCONS

spacer.png

NOTES:

1. I know a lot of folks want a straight-up throwback look, but I generally don't.  Not for Atlanta.  So, I tried to merge some elements of older looks with some new elements.  

2. The helmet works for me as black on black.  Saving the red option for the alt look. 

3. Decided a version of what the NY Jets currently do works better for the Falcons, and I like it more than the side panel stripes on the current jersey.

4. With Atlanta, it is more about taking away bad elements (oversized ATL on front, side panels, ombre jersey, etc.) and going with a more basic but still modern take on a red jersey and silver pants (or black). 

5. The Alt is again not a pure throwback, but includes a bit of a mix of old and new in the helmet, then just a black alternate jersey and a white pant set.  I could see the Falcons combining these looks in lots of ways (Red helmet w. red jersey and silver pants, all black alt, black jersey and helmet with silver pants, etc.).

So, there you go, the entire NFC South is done, as is the NFC West.  Next up is likely the NFC East. 

If the Bucs actually used that number font in 2014 instead of the alarm clock monstrosity the jerseys would not have been too bad

1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

If the Bucs actually used that number font in 2014 instead of the alarm clock monstrosity the jerseys would not have been too bad

I agree that the alarm clock numbers were a huge issue, but I also really did not like the "pewter" shoulders on that Bucs design.  For me, when you try to do pewter in a non-metallic material like jerseys or pants it just comes out looking like a muddy grey, like dirty dish water.  Some colors just don't work if you don't have the metallic finish (dazzle fabric).  I point to the current UFL Stallions and Panthers.  Without a metallic sheen champagne and Stallion gold just turn into khaki, and khaki rarely works as a good uniform color. 

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

I agree that the alarm clock numbers were a huge issue, but I also really did not like the "pewter" shoulders on that Bucs design.  For me, when you try to do pewter in a non-metallic material like jerseys or pants it just comes out looking like a muddy grey, like dirty dish water.  Some colors just don't work if you don't have the metallic finish (dazzle fabric).  I point to the current UFL Stallions and Panthers.  Without a metallic sheen champagne and Stallion gold just turn into khaki, and khaki rarely works as a good uniform color. 

I do not even mind that part of the jersey (wow I really softened up on those jerseys, I used to think those were some of the worst jerseys ever but the alarm clock numbers are still an abomination) but yeah I could still see why people did not like it either, I like the pewter when it looks silver and not a weird murky brownish color

Edited by TrueYankee26
More spelling fixes

Moving on to the NFL East.  We have already seen my Eagles' concept.  Now we have 2 more division rivals, each with their own challenges. 

NEW YORK GIANTS

spacer.png

NOTES

The Giants may seem an easy team to peg. Their look has been pretty simple and pretty classic for a long time, but the key is how you combine elements.  I decided to combine elements of the current look (helmet) with elements of the Simms/Taylor era (sleeve & pant stripes).  I also wanted to have both logos "NY" and "Giants" somehow involved.  So, ended up going with the NY helmet and using the Giants wordmark on the chest.  

I am not feeling confident about the alternate look, but I did not want to just do another throwback.  I wanted a different helmet color and a design that would clearly not be just a rehash of past designs.  White over white over white may not be ideal for the Giants, but it is at least different enough to clearly be an alternate. 

DALLAS COWBOYS

spacer.png

NOTES

The challenge with Dallas is not so much the design, a pretty consistent stripe pattern and overall look.  The problem is the colors.  Two very different blues, up to 3 kinds of silver, and they don't all go with each other at all.  So, I decided to basically follow what they sort of do now, having a darker blue for the dark jersey, pants, and socks on the darker set, and using the brighter royal blue on the white jersey and with the pants on the white set.   I have both colors in the helmet stripe, but stil think it might look odd as the only bright royal element with their dark set.  What I also did was limit the team to one silver color, and opted for the somewhat unique greenish silver from the home pant set as the only silver.  That may make the helmet again a bit odd, but I think overall it works. 

For the Alt I went with elements of past throwbacks. A white helmet, navy jersey with white yolk and white pants.  Not exactly the look from any of their throwbacks, but something of an homage to lots of past looks. 

Next up is the Commanders, and I will keep that name because we just don't know what the new ownership is really going to do there. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Yawn 1