Wideright's NFL Redux 2024-- MIA/BUF Added 3/16

WideRight

Hi all, 

It's only been, what, 2 weeks?  And I am already missing the NFL.  So, I decided to look over the league and determine which teams I wish would tweak, update, modify, or revert to an older look.  I figured I would give it my best shot to design looks that I think capture the spirit of each team while fixing what I see as issues or adding a touch I think they need.  Cannot promise I will get to every team.  There are quite a few I am fine with as they are now, but there are certainly a decent number that need some work.  I don't expect huge changes, entirely new logo packages, or even super-avant garde ideas. i am a classicist by nature, so you may see a lot of 1970's and 1980's elements, but I will add some new ideas where appropriate. 

So, who is first?  

Well, to say that I was disappointed in the Cardinals when they unveiled their newest uniforms would be an understatement.  They got rid of a lot I hated in their prior look, but they kept a few bad ideas (blood clot all red uniforms) and added some new questionable decisions (using silver as a secondary instead of black, missing the SW palette entirely), and they fell prey to what I consider some of the worst trends of the 2020's, things like stripeless pants, stripeless socks, and the ongoing scourge of the unitard.  So, here is my attempt at a modern but traditionalist design all in one.  Here is the image, followed by my notes. 

spacer.png

Elements I put into this design:

1. Darkened the burgundy/cardinal red back to a darker tone more like what I recall from the Lomax/Hart/OJ Anderson years.

2. Switched to a white facemask on white helmet.

3. Decided to add metallic copper as a color, much more aligned with Arizona style than silver, and reminiscent of both the USFL Wranglers and Arena Rattlers.

4. Added the Copper as an outline color to the main logo.

5. Added a truncated 5-stripe pattern to the sleeves, but with a bit of Navajo or Hopi design on the edges, again local flavor.

6. Added a similar shape at the base of the collar. 

7. Added an "AZ" monogram within another native pattern shape, which will appear on the pants.

8. Pant stripes are 5-stripe (black-white-red-white-black) on the white pants and 3 colors (white-black-white) on the cardinal pants, with the monogram logo at the hip. 

9. Red color block stripe for the white set, striped sock for the cardinal pants. 

10. No unitard combo (not really up to me, but in a perfect world),  I will accept white over white on hot summer days like preseason or opening week, but never red over red. 

11. A small color block containing the player number at the rear bumper of the helmet. 

12. Copper built into the sleeve stripes on both jerseys, black used as the outline color on all  numbers and NOB. 

There you go.  My take on a pretty traditional Cardinals look that uses a lot of the past (sleeve & pant stripes) but also recognizes some elements of Arizona, particularly Native peoples, culture.  I may come up with a black alt uniform, but we start with this. 

Suggestions on other teams that need some work?  I am thinking right now that the Jets, Broncos, Titans, Jaguars, Seahawks, Rams, Commanders, Falcons and Saints are all begging for something new.  Which is already a pretty hefty list.  

• Like 16
  • Love 4

I mostly like the changes you've made here. The sleeve stripes are really cool but I'm not super feeling the pants stripe. I wish they were just the sleeve stripes but on the pants. I think the secondary logo isn't really necessary either. I'm not sure why you kept the yellow beak when you're already adding that copper color - maybe just replacing the beak would be good? The number font is fine, but I think a block font would be better. The unique collar shape beneath the NFL logo is a nice touch. I'm looking forward to seeing more teams!

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

16 hours ago, WideRight said:

Hi all, 

It's only been, what, 2 weeks?  And I am already missing the NFL.  So, I decided to look over the league and determine which teams I wish would tweak, update, modify, or revert to an older look.  I figured I would give it my best shot to design looks that I think capture the spirit of each team while fixing what I see as issues or adding a touch I think they need.  Cannot promise I will get to every team.  There are quite a few I am fine with as they are now, but there are certainly a decent number that need some work.  I don't expect huge changes, entirely new logo packages, or even super-avant garde ideas. i am a classicist by nature, so you may see a lot of 1970's and 1980's elements, but I will add some new ideas where appropriate. 

So, who is first?  

Well, to say that I was disappointed in the Cardinals when they unveiled their newest uniforms would be an understatement.  They got rid of a lot I hated in their prior look, but they kept a few bad ideas (blood clot all red uniforms) and added some new questionable decisions (using silver as a secondary instead of black, missing the SW palette entirely), and they fell prey to what I consider some of the worst trends of the 2020's, things like stripeless pants, stripeless socks, and the ongoing scourge of the unitard.  So, here is my attempt at a modern but traditionalist design all in one.  Here is the image, followed by my notes. 

spacer.png

Elements I put into this design:

1. Darkened the burgundy/cardinal red back to a darker tone more like what I recall from the Lomax/Hart/OJ Anderson years.

2. Switched to a white facemask on white helmet.

3. Decided to add metallic copper as a color, much more aligned with Arizona style than silver, and reminiscent of both the USFL Wranglers and Arena Rattlers.

4. Added the Copper as an outline color to the main logo.

5. Added a truncated 5-stripe pattern to the sleeves, but with a bit of Navajo or Hopi design on the edges, again local flavor.

6. Added a similar shape at the base of the collar. 

7. Added an "AZ" monogram within another native pattern shape, which will appear on the pants.

8. Pant stripes are 5-stripe (black-white-red-white-black) on the white pants and 3 colors (white-black-white) on the cardinal pants, with the monogram logo at the hip. 

9. Red color block stripe for the white set, striped sock for the cardinal pants. 

10. No unitard combo (not really up to me, but in a perfect world),  I will accept white over white on hot summer days like preseason or opening week, but never red over red. 

11. A small color block containing the player number at the rear bumper of the helmet. 

12. Copper built into the sleeve stripes on both jerseys, black used as the outline color on all  numbers and NOB. 

There you go.  My take on a pretty traditional Cardinals look that uses a lot of the past (sleeve & pant stripes) but also recognizes some elements of Arizona, particularly Native peoples, culture.  I may come up with a black alt uniform, but we start with this. 

Suggestions on other teams that need some work?  I am thinking right now that the Jets, Broncos, Titans, Jaguars, Seahawks, Rams, Commanders, Falcons and Saints are all begging for something new.  Which is already a pretty hefty list.  

You should use the same design for the sleeves onto the pants.

20 minutes ago, Silence of the Rams said:

Um dare I ask, do you sleep? This is like the 3rd series in 4 months. 

That being said. Honestly if the bidwells weren't so cheap I'd say this is realistic 

I don't sleep enough, so I often work on concepts between 4am-6:30am, when I prepare to go to work, then many evenings, if my wife wants to work on her quilting I head back to the computer and do more.  Mostly my USFL project, but sometimes I get inspired to do other things.   You should have seen me during COVID when I spent 14 months working from home every day.  Lots of series that year. 

This one is not going to have anywhere near the pacing of the AAFL project, maybe one new design a week if we are lucky.  

8 hours ago, WideRight said:

I don't sleep enough, so I often work on concepts between 4am-6:30am, when I prepare to go to work, then many evenings, if my wife wants to work on her quilting I head back to the computer and do more.  Mostly my USFL project, but sometimes I get inspired to do other things.   You should have seen me during COVID when I spent 14 months working from home every day.  Lots of series that year. 

This one is not going to have anywhere near the pacing of the AAFL project, maybe one new design a week if we are lucky.  

I'm going to say the same thing I said to Mr. Grossi post 30 in 30. Get some rest where you can. Also (don't take this the wrong way) I'm actually glad this is more spread out.

I know I said about 1 per week, but apparently I am on a roll.  Here is my take on the Jaguars.  Notes below. 

spacer.png

With this design I wanted to recapture elements of the early years, particularly a better balance between black, teal, and gold.  At the same time, I wanted to try to connect with the current uniform's use of color blocks at the cuff and knee rather than returning to an older style of striping.  So, here is what we get. 

1.  Colors are unchanged.

2. Helmet remains solid black, no teal flakes, no ombre effect.

3. Angular number font, but with 2 outlines so all 3 colors are represented.

4. Decided to use a recurring motif of a wide teal stripe, interrupted by two angled black stripes and a central gold stripe.  That is what you see on the sleeve cuffs, the collars, and to a degree on the pant stripes as well. 

5. Kept the "crest" as a secondary but added the 3 stripe motif underneath it.  

6. No black uniform yet, but with black pants the Jags can go all white, white over black, teal over black, or teal over white.  No unitard, but 4 different options. 

I think my least favorite uniform of all the current 32 will be up next, the Titans, but that one is going to take some time unless i just return to the McNair era look completely.  Don't want to do that, so I will take some time this weekend to see what else I come up with. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2

Started working on the Titans yesterday and realized a few things:

1. The current design is a dumpster fire.  I believe they have 5 colors in it (Navy, Sky, Red, Dark Grey, Light Grey).  Way too much.   And they have flames on the logo, a thick sword motif on the shoulders, but a thin sword motif on the helmet, and whatever those pant stripes are, plus underarm color?  What the what? 

2. Also realized I just don't like the flaming thumbtack logo at all.  The flames make helmet stripes awkward, other than the short tapered stripes on the originals or a very thin stripe like on the current.  The secondary is at least a better logo.

So, I am absolutely going to return this team to 3-color scheme of navy, sky, and red.   I am also going to try to salvage elements of their logos but may have to develop something new as well. 

Like I said, this one could take some time.  I like elements of the original look, but I still think quite a bit will need to be reimagined.  Perhaps the worst current look of any team in the league.

BTW, here is my list of teams that I am unlikely to touch because their current looks are so solid that they really don't need enough modification to be worth doing:

Bills (my team, love the look)

Steelers

Colts

Chiefs

Raiders

Buccaneers

Bears

Packers

Vikings

There are a few others I thought of adding to the list, but who could use just enough of a tweak (fixing Dallas colors for example) that I may get around to them. 

• Like 2