Wideright's NFL Redux 2024-- MIA/BUF Added 3/16

WideRight

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

2. Also realized I just don't like the flaming thumbtack logo at all.  The flames make helmet stripes awkward, other than the short tapered stripes on the originals or a very thin stripe like on the current.  The secondary is at least a better logo.

I share this opinion strongly, I've always thought the 'flame trail' made a decent logo really tacky (pun intended?).

Not necessarily a suggestion for what you should do; but I think the simple stylized T in some configuration or the roundel itself would be a much better helmet/ primary logo. 

I also fully agree with the removal of their way-too-dark matte grey, even though I respect them for trying something a little different, it just doesn't mesh well in reality.

The only thing I’ve never like about Buffalo, is they keep going monochrome with their uniforms, which bothers me SO much given the possibilities they have…. 

also careful with Cleveland, their latest uniforms pretty much fixed everything that was wrong with the last dumpster fire we had…. And we don’t need grey face masks either 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Still trying to find an option for Tennessee that I like, but there are several teams who I just want to tweak a little, so maybe some of those first.   Here is a good example. 

spacer.png

I grew up on Montana and Rice, so for me the closer to that look we can get the better.  So, here is what I did:

1. Returned to the 3 stripes on the jersey

2. Added a very thin black stripe around the thick red and white stripes on the helmet and pants. 

3. Returned to SF having one of the widest pant stripes in all of football.  Always liked that. 

4. Striped socks.

5. Used an old alt logo as a secondary, and put it on the back above the player name. 

6. Wanted just a touch of gold on the jerseys so I added gold Nike swooshes and a gold frontpiece on the collar. 

7. Perhaps the most controversial move, I did not like the grey facemask but neither red nor gold worked.  So, I tried something new, black.  It is a team color, so maybe it could act as a "neutral" facemask color.   Does it work or does it ruin the look?  

Otherwise very recognizable and very SF 49er. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

And something was bugging me about the Cards, so I looked again and I think that it was just too dark.  So, I lightened up the red and the bronze/copper. Same design, just a bit brighter. 

spacer.png

Just a quick added note here:  I was surprised to find on the TruColor website that the Cardinal red used by this franchise has apparently been consistent over time.  I could have sweared that the Cards I grew up with in the 80's had a much darker red, closer to the (Commanders) or Alabama than to the brighter red we see today, or like a team like Louisville or Indiana.  But, according to them it has been basically the same cardinal red.  I just misremember it as being more of a burgundy color. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately the 49ers redesign comes across as change for change's sake and I don't think it adds to the look at all, especially the use of black, which is entirely superfluous. I don't think the Niners needed any changes, but the changes that were made don't feel particularly necessary. If you're going to change them, I'd like to see a more bold look.

The changes to Arizona's color scheme makes it better. I'd still like to see the sleeve and pants stripe match.

• Like 5

the user formerly known as cdclt

SF: facemask would look better as red in my opinion, considering they had already done that. also I think the weird patch of gold on the collar should be removed.

AZ: the brighter shade looks so much better.

and maybe a 3-stripe look all the way around for the titans? also using the sword as a stripe would look good too.

17 hours ago, sky1324 said:

Unfortunately the 49ers redesign comes across as change for change's sake and I don't think it adds to the look at all, especially the use of black, which is entirely superfluous. I don't think the Niners needed any changes, but the changes that were made don't feel particularly necessary. If you're going to change them, I'd like to see a more bold look.

The changes to Arizona's color scheme makes it better. I'd still like to see the sleeve and pants stripe match.

I get that.  Some of the changes are going to be very minor, and may be a bit unnecessary (49ers and Browns are good examples), while other teams need total overhauls.  I am trying not to just do a pure throwback look with no new features, so that does keep me from just uploading a perfectly good earlier version of the uniform.   I think most uniforms will have something distinct, but that may on occasion seemed forced. 

So, despite the fact that I find most alt uniforms to be a downgrade from the standard ones, and a bit of brand dilution, I recognize that they are here to stay, so I might as well make a few that I actually like.  So, here are two alt uniforms for the first two teams that I did reboots of, the Cardinals and the Jaguars. 

For the Cards I decided to go the opposite of BFBS and basically remove as much black and white as I could.  So, a heavily copper uniform with an alt-red jersey.  

spacer.png

For the Jags I decided to embrace the BFBS vibe, in part because it is a huge part of the Jaguars' identity.  I opted to go with tones of black and grey, with a few hints of teal, but no gold in this "black panther" alt.  I did go with white numbers because you still have to make life tolerable for the refs and the tv announcers, so the numbers need to be visible.   They will be one of only a couple of teams I let do a "black out" style uniform.  We may also see a white out as well, but mostly I will try to stick with standard team colors in different combos.  

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Love 2

One last one for today, the third of my reboots, San Francisco.  I wanted to do a retro look for the 49ers, so why not go back to 1949?  So, I brought back the silver and red, the Northwestern Stripes, and the overall simplified look.  I know the 9ers like to pull out the 1994 retro, but why not go all the way back to 1949, the 100th anniversary of the original Gold Rush, and besides, it lets SF bring silver back for a very different look. 

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Love 3

The black alt gives rather military-esque "stealth" vibes, which might be fitting for Jacksonville. The Cardinals copper look is a little reminiscent of the niners, maybe it could stand out better if the red was a little darker?

8 hours ago, WideRight said:

So, despite the fact that I find most alt uniforms to be a downgrade from the standard ones, and a bit of brand dilution, I recognize that they are here to stay, so I might as well make a few that I actually like.  So, here are two alt uniforms for the first two teams that I did reboots of, the Cardinals and the Jaguars. 

For the Cards I decided to go the opposite of BFBS and basically remove as much black and white as I could.  So, a heavily copper uniform with an alt-red jersey.  

spacer.png

For the Jags I decided to embrace the BFBS vibe, in part because it is a huge part of the Jaguars' identity.  I opted to go with tones of black and grey, with a few hints of teal, but no gold in this "black panther" alt.  I did go with white numbers because you still have to make life tolerable for the refs and the tv announcers, so the numbers need to be visible.   They will be one of only a couple of teams I let do a "black out" style uniform.  We may also see a white out as well, but mostly I will try to stick with standard team colors in different combos.  

spacer.png

Both of these alts are really cool. Good job!

For my next redesign, I went to the local club that is rumored to be getting a redo, the Denver Broncos.  

With obvious kudos and inspiration from @KG_grfx and his brilliant incorporation of the mountains from the city flag, this uniform uses a mountain motif pretty heavily. 

spacer.png

So, what is different?:

1. While I kept the main logo, most of the rest of the 1996 design is gone.  That includes the darker blue emphasis, with a return of Denver's light royal as the main color. 

2. We return to an orange primary, and use a mountain motif on the sleeves with a bit more of a jagged edge than @KG_grfx used.

3. The helmet combines the tapered stripe from 1996 with the earlier triple stripe.

4. The older "D" logo is used as a secondary, appearing on the pants. 

5. Blue pants are used instead of orange, but only with the white jersey.  White on white is possible but never orange over blue. 

6. We also have a version of the new white alternate, now an all white "snowcap" look that brings back the D logo and uses double outlined white numbers to reinforce the snow motif. 

• Like 10
  • Love 4
  • WOAH 1

As a Broncos fan, I like the jerseys! I am not enamored with the stripes, and I'd love to see a pair or orange pants for the road unis. And while I am not a fan of all white, that Snowcap Alternate looks slick. 

N3d5IIl.png

Next up, another pretty radical departure from a current look, but one that brings back a lot of the past. 

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

I am a big fan of both the early royal & kelly look and of the Hasselbeck era twin blue look (I hated that they unitarded it, but the colors and uniform components were great.)  So, with this design I am merging the two.  Not pure throwback to either era, but a mix of both. 

spacer.png

NOTES: 

1. I opted to use the color palette of the 2000's design, rather than returning to royal and kelly, but the silver helmet is back, as is the use of the logo as the sleeve design. 

2. I went back to the twin blue, with the navy on the sleeves and the slate blue for the body, but now the sleeves have a tapered edge on the top, rising to a point mid-shoulder. 

3. Classic number font, nothing fancy there.  I did remove all of the new Native American feather pattern. It is the one feature of the current look that I like, but it just did not fit in. 

4. I am not a huge fan of the electric green as a main color, but I think it can work as a jersey if nothing else is also kelly green (again, no unitarding).  So, the alt returns to the navy helmet and white pants along with the green jersey. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

that Seahawks jersey is great! it would have looked better than the 2002-2011 jerseys if they chose that instead. though I think navy helmets look better than gray. especially considering the team had the fans vote between blue & gray helmets back in 2002.

One more for today.  The New England Patriots. 

As anyone can tell from my account name and avatar, I am a Bills fan, avidly since the age of 12.  So, I have not had much positive to say about the Patriots in a long time.  I liked the Patsies when they wore red, had Pat the Patriot on the helmet and won 3 games a year.  That is the natural order of things.  I am still convinced that Tom Brady, along with several of our post-1999 elections, and 9/11, and MTV never playing music, and Generation Z college kids wearing pajamas and fuzzy animal slippers to class, and a few other oddities, are all signs that the world ended at the Millennium and we are all actually living in pretty shoddily made matrix.  I mean, come on!!! Tuck rule my ass!!  

Anyway, I wanted to return the Patriots to their red-emphasis glory and their on-field irrelevance, so the design pulls in a lot of elements from the Steve Grogan era, along with a few nods to the early Belicheat (sorry force of habit) years.   Notes below. 

spacer.png

1. First off, Pat the Patriot is back.  It is a great logo.  Yes, a bit cartoony, but it is both a Patriot and a football player, what more could you ask for? And it sits on a white shell, which just works. 

2. One of my favorite Patriot looks ever was the pant set that they used only the 1st year of the Flying Elvis.  I love how the blue transitions to the red just as in the logo.  It works so well on the pants.  So, that style is back, now on white pants or inverted with red pants.  

3. I put the same basic stripe pattern on the helmet, and I think it works OK there, at least it is a bit different from just a straight up throwback look. 

4. I pulled in some more modern elements with the numbering, the first use of silver in the new look.  and I decided that while the shoulder stripe worked fine on the red jersey, it did not really pop for the white jersey, so I went with the shoulder stripe-colored sleeve combo, which I often like quite a bit. 

5. You will see I also reverted to the older "Patriotic" font for the wordmark.  It is very busy, but it is also very NE Patriots in my mind. 

6. The alt look brings back more of the recent elements of Patriot design, the silver helmet, blue jersey, etc.  I did not go fully Brady era, keeping the older pants and using a blue facemask instead of red.  I consider this their nod to blue as a dominant color but with a team that normally stresses red.  

So, before you critique this look, just know that my first version just had a repeating "cheaters" over and over as the stripe, and a poop emoji as the logo.  So, considering that, this is an act of kindness on my part for the Patriots.  

• Like 3
  • WOAH 1
  • Dislike 1