Wideright's NFL Redux 2024-- MIA/BUF Added 3/16

WideRight

Good job on the Broncos, although I'd go orange numbers on the away jersey, anyway try the Panthers with blue pants with both the home black jersey and the away white jersey with the 1/2 black & white socks, blocks numbers on everything, hear me Steelers ?

18 hours ago, WideRight said:

One more for today.  The New England Patriots. 

As anyone can tell from my account name and avatar, I am a Bills fan, avidly since the age of 12.  So, I have not had much positive to say about the Patriots in a long time.  I liked the Patsies when they wore red, had Pat the Patriot on the helmet and won 3 games a year.  That is the natural order of things.  I am still convinced that Tom Brady, along with several of our post-1999 elections, and 9/11, and MTV never playing music, and Generation Z college kids wearing pajamas and fuzzy animal slippers to class, and a few other oddities, are all signs that the world ended at the Millennium and we are all actually living in pretty shoddily made matrix.  I mean, come on!!! Tuck rule my ass!!  

Anyway, I wanted to return the Patriots to their red-emphasis glory and their on-field irrelevance, so the design pulls in a lot of elements from the Steve Grogan era, along with a few nods to the early Belicheat (sorry force of habit) years.   Notes below. 

spacer.png

1. First off, Pat the Patriot is back.  It is a great logo.  Yes, a bit cartoony, but it is both a Patriot and a football player, what more could you ask for? And it sits on a white shell, which just works. 

2. One of my favorite Patriot looks ever was the pant set that they used only the 1st year of the Flying Elvis.  I love how the blue transitions to the red just as in the logo.  It works so well on the pants.  So, that style is back, now on white pants or inverted with red pants.  

3. I put the same basic stripe pattern on the helmet, and I think it works OK there, at least it is a bit different from just a straight up throwback look. 

4. I pulled in some more modern elements with the numbering, the first use of silver in the new look.  and I decided that while the shoulder stripe worked fine on the red jersey, it did not really pop for the white jersey, so I went with the shoulder stripe-colored sleeve combo, which I often like quite a bit. 

5. You will see I also reverted to the older "Patriotic" font for the wordmark.  It is very busy, but it is also very NE Patriots in my mind. 

6. The alt look brings back more of the recent elements of Patriot design, the silver helmet, blue jersey, etc.  I did not go fully Brady era, keeping the older pants and using a blue facemask instead of red.  I consider this their nod to blue as a dominant color but with a team that normally stresses red.  

So, before you critique this look, just know that my first version just had a repeating "cheaters" over and over as the stripe, and a poop emoji as the logo.  So, considering that, this is an act of kindness on my part for the Patriots.  

Definitely superior to their current uniforms

• Like 1

One more that I would refer to as part of the "minor tweaks" group of teams. 

Cleveland went a bit nuts for a while there, but have come back to recognizing that they are a legacy team, one that should retain an old school look and not try to be newfangled.   This tweak just fixes a couple of issues I have had with the Browns over time. 

spacer.png

So what is different?

1. The biggest change is that I wanted to go back to a more muted orange tone, basing it on the Brian Sipe era.  It is a subtle difference, but in my mind just feels more like a team from the 50's than a team trying to be hip in the 2020's. 

2. I have never liked the pant stripes to be orange outside of brown.  For me keeping brown on the outside is just a better color balance. 

3. I think the B in football logo is the most manageable option for them.  You really don't want to see the Brownie on a uniform, do you?   So, I kept that logo as a chest patch  in place of the team name just so it did not mess with the sleeves. 

4. I went full old-school with the alt, looking back at some old AAFC and very early NFL photos of Otto Graham.  So, white over white over white, with numbers on the helmet and a simplified sleeve stripe to just give a "this team is old as dirt" feel.   I did use the orange-black-orange on the alt just to again evoke a bygone era and to make them distinct from the standard white pants or jersey. 

• Like 7
  • Love 3

On 2/28/2024 at 5:29 PM, WideRight said:

And something was bugging me about the Cards, so I looked again and I think that it was just too dark.  So, I lightened up the red and the bronze/copper. Same design, just a bit brighter. 

spacer.png

Just a quick added note here:  I was surprised to find on the TruColor website that the Cardinal red used by this franchise has apparently been consistent over time.  I could have sweared that the Cards I grew up with in the 80's had a much darker red, closer to the (Commanders) or Alabama than to the brighter red we see today, or like a team like Louisville or Indiana.  But, according to them it has been basically the same cardinal red.  I just misremember it as being more of a burgundy color. 

They made it lighter in like 1988 or 1989. Since then it’s been the same - at least officially. 

On 3/2/2024 at 3:32 PM, WideRight said:

One more for today.  The New England Patriots. 

As anyone can tell from my account name and avatar, I am a Bills fan, avidly since the age of 12.  So, I have not had much positive to say about the Patriots in a long time.  I liked the Patsies when they wore red, had Pat the Patriot on the helmet and won 3 games a year.  That is the natural order of things.  I am still convinced that Tom Brady, along with several of our post-1999 elections, and 9/11, and MTV never playing music, and Generation Z college kids wearing pajamas and fuzzy animal slippers to class, and a few other oddities, are all signs that the world ended at the Millennium and we are all actually living in pretty shoddily made matrix.  I mean, come on!!! Tuck rule my ass!!  

Anyway, I wanted to return the Patriots to their red-emphasis glory and their on-field irrelevance, so the design pulls in a lot of elements from the Steve Grogan era, along with a few nods to the early Belicheat (sorry force of habit) years.   Notes below. 

spacer.png

1. First off, Pat the Patriot is back.  It is a great logo.  Yes, a bit cartoony, but it is both a Patriot and a football player, what more could you ask for? And it sits on a white shell, which just works. 

2. One of my favorite Patriot looks ever was the pant set that they used only the 1st year of the Flying Elvis.  I love how the blue transitions to the red just as in the logo.  It works so well on the pants.  So, that style is back, now on white pants or inverted with red pants.  

3. I put the same basic stripe pattern on the helmet, and I think it works OK there, at least it is a bit different from just a straight up throwback look. 

4. I pulled in some more modern elements with the numbering, the first use of silver in the new look.  and I decided that while the shoulder stripe worked fine on the red jersey, it did not really pop for the white jersey, so I went with the shoulder stripe-colored sleeve combo, which I often like quite a bit. 

5. You will see I also reverted to the older "Patriotic" font for the wordmark.  It is very busy, but it is also very NE Patriots in my mind. 

6. The alt look brings back more of the recent elements of Patriot design, the silver helmet, blue jersey, etc.  I did not go fully Brady era, keeping the older pants and using a blue facemask instead of red.  I consider this their nod to blue as a dominant color but with a team that normally stresses red.  

So, before you critique this look, just know that my first version just had a repeating "cheaters" over and over as the stripe, and a poop emoji as the logo.  So, considering that, this is an act of kindness on my part for the Patriots.  

Those pant stripes are chef’s kiss. 

12 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Those pant stripes are chef’s kiss. 

I always liked the 1994 (I think) stripe, so I just put them on white pants instead of grey and there you go.  Best part of that first flying Elvis look. 

OK, I spent way too much time trying to figure out a Titans look I actually liked.  This is what I came up with.  Notes below. 

spacer.png

NOTES:

There was a lot of the original Steve McNair era look that I liked, so you see I have brought back a lot, but I never cared for the flaming thumbtack, so I tried a bunch of options and landed on using the thumbtack itself along with the 3 stars as the primary elements, removing the flames.  Other notes:

1. Revived the number font and the shoulder yokes from the earlier uniforms.  

2. Settled on a simple thin 2-stripe motif as the main image for the helmet stripe, pants stripe, and yes, a side panel stripe on the jerseys.  

3. Opted to stick with a navy helmet as the primary, and brought back a white helmet for the alt look. 

4. No light blue pants in this scheme, but I could see them possibly having one, just not paired with the light blue jersey. 

5. The sword secondary logo is used on the sleeves, but the T+3 Stars is used as the primary without any flames. 

6. Decided to use the 3 stars from the state flag as a mini-logo, appearing on the pants and the rear bumper of the helmet. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Applause 1

On 3/2/2024 at 5:47 PM, TheAnt755 said:

Very patriotic!

Patriotic for a team named for revolutionary-era patriots to wear the colors of the "red coats" that they were fighting against?  More treasonous if you ask me (which you didn't) (and no, I'm not suggesting that any players get hanged for treason).  Not every colonial soldier wore blue, especially since many were essentially wearing tattered rags, but red is distinctly British.  And no, there's not green eagles or navy bears, but when the team is named for a very specific human that wore a uniform (or at least battled against humans in uniforms) then the colors should be more representative.   Also their logo at the time wore a blue coat - that should definitely be an indicator that their jersey color was mismatched.

The Patriots should never have been in red, from their founding until the '90s.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Patriotic for a team named for revolutionary-era patriots to wear the colors of the "red coats" that they were fighting against?  More treasonous if you ask me (which you didn't) (and no, I'm not suggesting that any players get hanged for treason).  Not every colonial soldier wore blue, especially since many were essentially wearing tattered rags, but red is distinctly British.  And no, there's not green eagles or navy bears, but when the team is named for a very specific human that wore a uniform (or at least battled against humans in uniforms) then the colors should be more representative.   Also their logo at the time wore a blue coat - that should definitely be an indicator that their jersey color was mismatched.

kinda ironic

6 hours ago, BBTV said:

I’d like to see a blue jersey in the old Pat style, with the old logo and striping pattern. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 1:24 PM, WideRight said:

One more that I would refer to as part of the "minor tweaks" group of teams. 

Cleveland went a bit nuts for a while there, but have come back to recognizing that they are a legacy team, one that should retain an old school look and not try to be newfangled.   This tweak just fixes a couple of issues I have had with the Browns over time. 

spacer.png

So what is different?

1. The biggest change is that I wanted to go back to a more muted orange tone, basing it on the Brian Sipe era.  It is a subtle difference, but in my mind just feels more like a team from the 50's than a team trying to be hip in the 2020's. 

2. I have never liked the pant stripes to be orange outside of brown.  For me keeping brown on the outside is just a better color balance. 

3. I think the B in football logo is the most manageable option for them.  You really don't want to see the Brownie on a uniform, do you?   So, I kept that logo as a chest patch  in place of the team name just so it did not mess with the sleeves. 

4. I went full old-school with the alt, looking back at some old AAFC and very early NFL photos of Otto Graham.  So, white over white over white, with numbers on the helmet and a simplified sleeve stripe to just give a "this team is old as dirt" feel.   I did use the orange-black-orange on the alt just to again evoke a bygone era and to make them distinct from the standard white pants or jersey. 

Big fan of this version, especially the use of the Sipe-era orange

Decided to do the NY Jets next.  In my mind the key with the Jets is to find ways to combine the Namath Era with the Sack Exchange Era.  So, what you will see is a mix of both in the standard uniforms, and even the alt uniform, which again blends 2 eras. 

spacer.png

Notes:

Some of the changes/decisions made:

1. I wanted to stick with the green helmet, so I combined the 1980's JETS logo with the football from the current logo.  

2. The jersey is mostly Namath-era, but with a more consistent green color than we saw in the early NIKE years and with the new combined logo on the chest.   That Namath era striping is so unique and identifiable with the Jets that I had to give it preference over the 1980's 2-stripe design. 

3. Pants are Sack Exchange Era. 

4. For the Alt, I basicallly remixed the whole thing.  Sack Exchange era jersey, with 2 stripes, which combines with the 2-stripe pants and the 2-stripe white helmet from the Namath era and a retro logo.  So, once again not entirely 1969 or 1985, but a mmix of both.  What I think works on the alt is the consistency of the striping.  

• Like 8
  • Love 2

Next up is Detroit.   A lot of Sanders-era to this look, and why not?  It is iconic.  We keep some elements of later looks (number font and updated logo for example), but largely a return to the Sanders look. 

spacer.png

NOTES:

1. I decided to simplify the striping on the pants and helmet compared to the sleeves. 

2. They probably would wear the silver pants even with white, but I wanted to give a blue option.

3. No grey socks, because no.

4. Added an Old English "D" logo just to have something different to use on the pants.  

4. The alt is a nod to the BFBS craze that infected Detroit.  I paired the all black look with the classic logo just to mix things up a bit.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, WideRight said:

Next up is Detroit.   A lot of Sanders-era to this look, and why not?  It is iconic.  We keep some elements of later looks (number font and updated logo for example), but largely a return to the Sanders look. 

spacer.png

NOTES:

1. I decided to simplify the striping on the pants and helmet compared to the sleeves. 

2. They probably would wear the silver pants even with white, but I wanted to give a blue option.

3. No grey socks, because no.

4. Added an Old English "D" logo just to have something different to use on the pants.  

4. The alt is a nod to the BFBS craze that infected Detroit.  I paired the all black look with the classic logo just to mix things up a bit.  

This looks far too much like Matt Millen-era Lions teams. It's not a look that's going to invoke a lot of positive fanfare. 

Utilizing the Northwestern stripes in a consistent fashion (jersey, helmet, pants) would be a clean look. I really don't care for the numbers. 

I do like the throwback logo on the back. 

I wanted to say that the black alt isn't bad, but it reminds me of the 0-16 season

But apparently the Lions never wore black during that season?

Weird

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

1 hour ago, Bomba Tomba said:

I wanted to say that the black alt isn't bad, but it reminds me of the 0-16 season

But apparently the Lions never wore black during that season?

Weird

they were supposed to bring back the black jerseys for 2016 but were never featured on Thursday night that year, them & Washington were the only ones to never wear their color rush jerseys as everybody else either A: was on Thursday night between 2016-17, or B: redesigned their uniforms after 2018, (there were 3 uniform redesigned from 2014-2017 being Tampa, Cleveland, and Detroit)

Well done on the Jets one,

But can you drop V1 of the Pats one? As a fellow AFC East team, it sounds perfect for them

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?