PWHL Concepts (MIN added)

vtgco

So I know that people don't really like the rumored names for the PWHL, but I wanted to see how well I could do keeping them as they are.

Also, since it's a six team league, I figure they can go color-vs-color, and each only have one jersey.

_header.png

pwhlmap.jpg

MTL      TOR    NY       OTT     BOS      MIN

First up is Montréal.

mtl.png

The best way I could think to capture the name "Echo" in a Montréal way was with cathedral bells. The M has a design based on the Notre-Dame Basilica of Montréal, and the bell has a narcissus flower (as a reference to the Greek myth.) The alternate logo is based on the city coat of arms, inspired by this Expos concept by @SFGiants58.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• vtgco changed the title to PWHL Concepts (MTL added)

Next, we have Toronto.

tor.png

Of the bunch, I have the hardest time with the "Torch" name, so the best I can do for my sanity is to adapt it to "Torchbearers." As for the imagery, I just place the CN Tower in the flame and torch, in a logo loosely inspired by the .Seattle Riot ultimate Frisbee team... The jersey is Toronto flag inspired with its sleeve-length yoke, and has some subtle red-orange gradients, and an unorthodox helmet design.

• Like 4

• vtgco changed the title to PWHL Concepts (MTL & TOR added)
8 hours ago, LaGrandeOrange said:

I don't hate Echo, maybe because I've been adapting to it slowly for a while (they'll always be the Fabs to me).

Any particular reason you went with the adidas template? They'd love the striping on the Sound sweater!

Yeah, I don't think "Echo" is the greatest name ever but it's certainly among the top half of the rumored list. I figured my same design could also work with the name "Belles," though, as a bit of a bilingual pun. They're not affiliated with the Canadiens, though, right? So where does "Fabs" come from?

The Adidas template is partially out of convenience (since I already have the template set up), and partially because the IRL PWHL jerseys seem to have that same weird collar pentagon thing.

As for the Sound's striping, it's just based on the marquee of the Radio City Music Hall, which happens to have three stripes anyway. Not meant to be Adidas branding.

• vtgco changed the title to PWHL Concepts (OTT added)
2 hours ago, vtgco said:

Yeah, I don't think "Echo" is the greatest name ever but it's certainly among the top half of the rumored list. I figured my same design could also work with the name "Belles," though, as a bit of a bilingual pun. They're not affiliated with the Canadiens, though, right? So where does "Fabs" come from?

The Adidas template is partially out of convenience (since I already have the template set up), and partially because the IRL PWHL jerseys seem to have that same weird collar pentagon thing.

As for the Sound's striping, it's just based on the marquee of the Radio City Music Hall, which happens to have three stripes anyway. Not meant to be Adidas branding.

During the era our CWHL team was Les Canadiennes de Montréal they were nicknamed the "Fabs" (like "Habs") and that has roughly stuck around as a nickname for the subsequent teams (the Force briefly and now Montréal PWHL).

Makes sense- everything looks great! Just was curious if that was intentional and why the adidas template since they're not involved and it's somewhat distinctive although you are right- the SP sweaters they're wearing are vaguely adidasesque.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LaGrandeOrange said:

During the era our CWHL team was Les Canadiennes de Montréal they were nicknamed the "Fabs" (like "Habs") and that has roughly stuck around as a nickname for the subsequent teams (the Force briefly and now Montréal PWHL).

Makes sense- everything looks great! Just was curious if that was intentional and why the adidas template since they're not involved and it's somewhat distinctive although you are right- the SP sweaters they're wearing are vaguely adidasesque.

Ah, I see! Well, that tradition makes me curious to see if I could come up with a potential official name that could be shortened to "Fab" somehow...

3 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Love the logo for Montreal, I think the sublimation in the stripes makes the whole look a bit too busy.

Glad you like the logo. I did have a previous version without the pattern, and I'm happy with it or without it:

mtl_old.png

I just generally prefer to include these kinds of patterns (like that gorgeous San José Sharks wavy striping pattern, or Vegas's floral pattern) to spice things up... But if you thought Montréal's was busy, I imagine you won't be a big fan of my take on the next team...

Here's a team I had a bit of a hard time with, Boston:

bos.png

I've said before that @mcrosby's "New England Curse" design would make the best starting point for the Wicked name, but for variety's sake I tried something a bit different. I went with a cauldron roundel logo. The bubbling design is based on the patterns of brownstones (which I also put in the striping.) The alternate logo is a which head in the shape of Massachusetts.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• vtgco changed the title to PWHL Concepts (BOS added)

Last, my personal favorite design of the bunch, it's Minnesota:

min.png

The logo is basically my take on what the North Stars should look like if that brand existed today, but in purple and with a Lake Superior-shaped aurora design underneath.

The jersey striping is also aurora-inspired and has an chevron element based on the new state flag.

That's the PWHL; let me know if you have any suggestions on these six or for expansions or something. Thanks for checking out!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• vtgco changed the title to PWHL Concepts (MIN added)

Minnesota looks fantastic!! Although I don’t think the white breezers works. The light blue you use on the numbers would probably work well for the breezers. 

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

Minnesota looks fantastic!! Although I don’t think the white breezers works. The light blue you use on the numbers would probably work well for the breezers. 

Glad you like it; I'm proud of it myself. I wanted white breezers to look kinda like snow, but blue works too (though I think I have to switch the striping around a bit):

min_blue.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1