24 MLB Season Thread

Gary

5 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Or...

fa098b38862a1593b742ee943aea655b.gif

Does football need a shortstop?  No?  Then baseball doesn't need a gorilla.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Does football need a shortstop?  No?  Then baseball doesn't need a gorilla.

Baseball needs a gorilla to run the bases on home runs.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

5 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Baseball needs a gorilla to run the bases on home runs.

Sure, I guess a gorilla would be eligible.

But this raises a bigger question: just like players have unique walk-up music, does each player have his "themed" home-run runner?   Like Ohtani always has samurai warriors going around the bases doing a thing with their swords (because everyone in Japan is obviously either a baseball player or samurai), or maybe some gothy guy has druids that sloooooowly go around the bases?  Maybe the player even joins in, and gets at the end of a conga line.  Or if a player is nicknamed "the gorilla", then he could have an actual gorilla do the honors.

And the guys at the end of the bench, or call-ups that are there for a cup of coffee would have to run the bases for themselves until they "earn" the right for a running ceremony.

Or, as a form of hazing or "earning your stripes", if you're the last guy on the bench or in something like an 0-20 slump, you have to run for the star player, almost as if your his servant.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 8/16/2024 at 10:32 AM, LMU said:

Same with a triple play which is 99% of the time just due to hitting to the wrong spot with a couple runners on base.

Hitting for the cycle is a statistical anomaly but I will not hear anyone speak ill of the unassisted triple play.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This Carlos Estevez clown is living proof that racking up stats in meaningless games on a meaningless team is meaningless.  Hadn't given up a run since April or May, 0.73 WHIP, and all these other accolades, but now that he's in a place where there's >40k every night and every game matters, he blows.  Hadn't given up a run in months, and has already blown 2 of his first save opportunities, and should have blown tonight's but got a gift of a strike call by an umpire.

I get thumbed down every time I make this point, and I'll be disappointed if I don't get three thumbs downs, four yawns, and one crazy-eyes thing, but nothing that anyone does in meaningless games in meaningless cities has any meaning.  You don't truly know what someone can really do until they have to do it, and nobody that plays for loser teams like the Angles has to do anything.  Nobody.

• Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 1

23 minutes ago, BBTV said:

This Carlos Estevez clown is living proof that racking up stats in meaningless games on a meaningless team is meaningless.  Hadn't given up a run since April or May, 0.73 WHIP, and all these other accolades, but now that he's in a place where there's >40k every night and every game matters, he blows.  Hadn't given up a run in months, and has already blown 2 of his first save opportunities, and should have blown tonight's but got a gift of a strike call by an umpire.

I get thumbed down every time I make this point, and I'll be disappointed if I don't get three thumbs downs, four yawns, and one crazy-eyes thing, but nothing that anyone does in meaningless games in meaningless cities has any meaning.  You don't truly know what someone can really do until they have to do it, and nobody that plays for loser teams like the Angles has to do anything.  Nobody.

I don't even know who Carlos Estevez is, but it sounds like the Phillies are getting Eric Gagne'd. (Ho-ho, a reference from back when the Red Sox weren't a meaningless team)

Loser-ass Phillies free fall continues, as they continue to put living-breathing feces on the mound every 5th day, Trea Turner is the most overrated player I've ever seen (even when he hits, he's flat out lazy in the field and lacks the talent to play a position like shortstop), Harper is in the worst slump of his life, and everyone else has been exposed.  One stat I read is that since the all-star break, they've faced more off-speed (breaking and change up) pitches than any team ever since that's been tracked... and by far.  So that's all it took to shut them down.  Major league players neutered by sliders and change ups.  Embarrassing.

At this point, it's just like the Eagles collapse - I don't see anything that they can do to turn it around during the season.  They'll at least get their #3 back soon, and their #4 may be the best 4 in the league, but they're still nothing but complete pieces of excrement.  The manager is making baffling moves as well, but he's not going anywhere.

The Braves are on the verge of overtaking them, which is mind blowing considering where we were at the All Star break.  They are facing falling from a clear #1 seed, up by 5 over the Dodgers, to now being a #4 if they're lucky.  

I'm not sure what anyone did to piss god off to the point where she's decided that Phila sports fans have to be tortured by collapse after collapse, but FFS, this is simply ridiculous, and has ruined the rest of the summer and September, where everyone was geared up for a likely WS appearance and a lot of fun times along the way.

I can't think of worse signings in the past 10 years than Trea Turner, (and that'll be a home run for) Nick Castellanos, and Taijuan Walker.  Dave Dombrowski should be kept out of the HOF just for those signings, let along the other ways he's completely botched this team.

F them.  Save for Zach Wheeler, they're gutless, leaderless, cowards.  I hope when they look into them mirror, it reflects back a steaming pile of poo, because that's what each one of them is.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Yawn 3

The White Sox are the only thing I still care about this baseball season. They're 31-101. The 1962 Mets went 40-120 to set the modern record. We need the Sox to win 8 games or fewer out of the last 30 to achieve baseball immortality and become the first team in MLB history to win fewer than 40 games in a full 162 game season. I'm rooting for it so hard. Winning 9 games out of 30 doesn't sound that tough on the surface, but that's a .300 winning percentage and they've played the first 132 at .235. It's very doable. 

That prompts a side question: Are the Guardians, Royals, and Twins good or do they just play in a division with the White Sox? Must also note the Tigers are a respectable 67-66.

The answer is funny. Cleveland is somehow 5-5 against them with 3 games left and were actually swept in Chicago in May. The Tigers are 9-1 with 3 games left, but the Twins and Royals? The Twins and Royals are both 13-1 against the White Sox hahahahhaha. The White Sox are a combined 3-35 against the Royals, Twins, and Tigers so they're all getting the White Sox bump. The Guardos are tied for first place in spite of not taking advantage of their White Sox games. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I was surprised that you didn’t mention anything about Votto retiring.

I was rooting for him to play for his home town Blue Jays this season, but I kind of said my goodbyes last season. It's cool now that officially he'll never play for another team and that he was ejected in his last career game and had a hit in his last career at-bat. That's a very Joey Votto way to go out. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

It was so funny that the White Sox fired their manager at the quarter-pole of the season. It's like pulling your starter through seven innings of a no-hitter. Let the man finish his masterpiece. Alan Trammell had the worst season since the '62 Mets and then got another two years, so I don't know what the big rush was.

The Sox as an organization are at that early-2000s Blackhawks level of giving up and going through the motions. They used to try things that failed, like claiming Alex Rios on waivers without expecting to actually get him or thinking  Ken Griffey Jr. and Manny Ramirez could still play. Now, they're just completely checked out. They didn't even commit to asking for a new publicly funded stadium: the governor left them on read and they immediately pivoted to building condos around the United Center.

On 8/24/2024 at 9:50 AM, BBTV said:

Loser-ass Phillies free fall continues, as they continue to put living-breathing feces on the mound every 5th day, Trea Turner is the most overrated player I've ever seen (even when he hits, he's flat out lazy in the field and lacks the talent to play a position like shortstop), Harper is in the worst slump of his life, and everyone else has been exposed.  One stat I read is that since the all-star break, they've faced more off-speed (breaking and change up) pitches than any team ever since that's been tracked... and by far.  So that's all it took to shut them down.  Major league players neutered by sliders and change ups.  Embarrassing.

At this point, it's just like the Eagles collapse - I don't see anything that they can do to turn it around during the season.  They'll at least get their #3 back soon, and their #4 may be the best 4 in the league, but they're still nothing but complete pieces of excrement.  The manager is making baffling moves as well, but he's not going anywhere.

The Braves are on the verge of overtaking them, which is mind blowing considering where we were at the All Star break.  They are facing falling from a clear #1 seed, up by 5 over the Dodgers, to now being a #4 if they're lucky.  

I'm not sure what anyone did to piss god off to the point where she's decided that Phila sports fans have to be tortured by collapse after collapse, but FFS, this is simply ridiculous, and has ruined the rest of the summer and September, where everyone was geared up for a likely WS appearance and a lot of fun times along the way.

I can't think of worse signings in the past 10 years than Trea Turner, (and that'll be a home run for) Nick Castellanos, and Taijuan Walker.  Dave Dombrowski should be kept out of the HOF just for those signings, let along the other ways he's completely botched this team.

F them.  Save for Zach Wheeler, they're gutless, leaderless, cowards.  I hope when they look into them mirror, it reflects back a steaming pile of poo, because that's what each one of them is.

frank-the-tank-absolute-worst.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

BB52Big.jpg

6 hours ago, infrared41 said:

frank-the-tank-absolute-worst.gif

To this day that's a top-5 all-time gif, and I'll fist fight - with my own fists - anyone that disagrees.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

But is it better than the Scanners head explosion?

Yes.

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

To this day that's a top-5 all-time gif, and I'll fist fight - with my own fists - anyone that disagrees.

It would be more interesting if you fought them with someone else's fists.

BB52Big.jpg

12 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

It was so funny that the White Sox fired their manager at the quarter-pole of the season. It's like pulling your starter through seven innings of a no-hitter. Let the man finish his masterpiece. Alan Trammell had the worst season since the '62 Mets and then got another two years, so I don't know what the big rush was.

The Sox as an organization are at that early-2000s Blackhawks level of giving up and going through the motions. They used to try things that failed, like claiming Alex Rios on waivers without expecting to actually get him or thinking  Ken Griffey Jr. and Manny Ramirez could still play. Now, they're just completely checked out. They didn't even commit to asking for a new publicly funded stadium: the governor left them on read and they immediately pivoted to building condos around the United Center.

BB52Big.jpg

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

But is it better than the Scanners head explosion? I don't want to post it here, because I don't know the forum's rules on fake gore.

Considering one was a notorious member here and the other is fictional... yes.  And you can't script that cap drop.

I take back what I said about the Sox winning enough to go down in history as merely bad. They are being guided by the hand of God toward ignominy. 31-103. They've got this.