24 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Two things that I thought were weird and/or funny:

1. The Reds haven't lost to the Astros since 2016

2. They played yesterday, have a scheduled off day today, and then play tomorrow and Thursday. How often does an off day happen in the middle of a series? I can't remember ever seeing it. 

• Like 1
  • WOAH 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

16 minutes ago, Sport said:

2. They played yesterday, have a scheduled off day today, and then play tomorrow and Thursday. How often does an off day happen in the middle of a series? I can't remember ever seeing it. 

Teams have had off days on Sunday this year too. I don't remember ever seeing that.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

5 hours ago, Cujo said:

CUBS

NO

HITTER

yeah but who threw it?

Not an accomplishment.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 9/3/2024 at 10:49 PM, Sport said:

Two things that I thought were weird and/or funny:

1. The Reds haven't lost to the Astros since 2016

On 9/3/2024 at 11:07 PM, infrared41 said:

Teams have had off days on Sunday this year too. I don't remember ever seeing that.

That's incredibly odd.  I know goofy things happen in the first two weeks of the season, but shouldn't happen after that.  

The Phillies had a scheduled wrap-around series that finished on a Monday (sometime during the otherwise-normal part of the season) which I had also never seen before.

There seems to be more goofy travel now with the balanced schedule - anecdotally, I've noticed more long-travel between series, with or without days off or early getaway games - but those things shouldn't happen unless there's some weird weather situation.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Combined no hitters are hitting ineptitude rather than pitching dominance. 

The Cubs allowed no hits.  That's all.  Move on.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sec19Row53 said:

3, who gave up no hits.

That shouldn't make it a "no hitter".  It's just a game in which they allowed no hits.  It's a fine but distinct line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sec19Row53 said:

3, who gave up no hits.

In other words, three pitchers who had good outings in the same game.

A combined no-hitter is the pitching equivalent of hitting for the cycle, it's a kinda neat statistical anomaly, but it's nothing special.

• Like 4

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Just now, BBTV said:

That shouldn't make it a "no hitter".  It's just a game in which they allowed no hits.  It's a fine but distinct line.

I don't disagree with you, in terms of its importance, but it's more than a shut out...

It's where I sit.

6 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I don't disagree with you, in terms of its importance, but it's more than a shut out...

I guess I just don't see it as much more than a shutout.  Even combined shutouts, which we do colloquially refer to as "team shutouts", are (to me, anyway) more about the losing team's ineptitude on that day (with an exception of something like when a starter goes 8 and then a closer finishes it off.)

I dont' know how these things are logged in record books (or at the HOF, if they're logged there), but if I'm listing "no hitters", my qualification is that it has to be a complete game, and a "no no" is a complete game no-hit shutout.

Other than that, it's just a game in which a team got no hits.  A rare and neat occurrence, but nothing more.

EDIT: yeah, we're not arguing.  I think we're pretty much on the same page.

• Like 3

Houston Astros since 2017

World Championships: 2

AL Championships: 4

Playoff Series Wins: 13

Division Titles: 6

Playoff Appearances: 7

Victories over the Cincinnati Reds: 0

Cincinnati Reds since 2017

World Championships: 0

NL Championships: 0

Playoff Series Wins: 0

Division Titles: 0

Playoff Appearances: 1 (the 2020 COVID NIT)

Victories over the Houston Astros: 9

LOL see you in 2025, losers. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png