What Will The NHL Look LIke?

hubsportsfan17

do you guys know how many canadians live in miami-ft. lauderdale area. the panthers simply suck and are going around in circles, if they would win more games people would watch them.

However, they already have a favorite team. That's the trouble with teams in any sport in Florida. Take the Devil Rays for example, the Tampa area is full of snowbirds from the New York, and on top of that the Yankees front office and training facilities are in Tampa (unlike the Devils Rays and the trop). Whenever the Rays play the Yankees there are more Yankee fans there than Devil Rays. I would guess there are more Yankee fans in the Tampa area than there are Devil Ray fans.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's my idea:

- Put in a salary cap of 35 million per team.

- Get the average salary down to 1.1 million.

- Go back to the same rulebook used in the 1987/88 season.(Getting rid of instigator rule, going back to 1 ref system, going back to orignal rink dimensions etc.)

- Make goalie equipment smaller as they were going to do.

- Have lower ticket prices than other three pro leauges.

- Cut five teams for now.

- Add three expansion teams in the several years.

- Expand to 30 teams after the popularity of the game has grown enough.

Campbell (Western) Conference

Pacific Division

-L.A.

-Portland

-Vancouver

-Calgary

-Edmonton

-Winnepeg

Midwest Division

-Minnesota

-St. Louis

-Chicago

-Detroit

-Milwaulkee

-Dallas

-Houston

Wales (Eastern) Conference

Northeast Division

-Toronto

-Montreal

-Ottawa

-Columbus

-Boston

-Buffalo

Atlantic Division

-New York Rangers

-New York Islanders

-Pittisburgh

-Philadelpia

-Atlanta

-Hartford/New Jersey

*Possible future expansion to Chicago, Seattle, Pheonix, Quebec City, San Francisco or Florida.

hate to break it to you but Phoenix will be here when the dust settles why is everyone leaving Phoenix high and dry. They are not in danger. GEESE

Here's my idea:

- Put in a salary cap of 35 million per team.

- Get the average salary down to 1.1 million.

- Go back to the same rulebook used in the 1987/88 season.(Getting rid of instigator rule, going back to 1 ref system, going back to orignal rink dimensions etc.)

- Make goalie equipment smaller as they were going to do.

- Have lower ticket prices than other three pro leauges.

- Cut five teams for now.

- Add three expansion teams in the several years.

- Expand to 30 teams after the popularity of the game has grown enough.

Campbell (Western) Conference

Pacific Division

-L.A.

-Portland

-Vancouver

-Calgary

-Edmonton

-Winnepeg

Midwest Division

-Minnesota

-St. Louis

-Chicago

-Detroit

-Milwaulkee

-Dallas

-Houston

Wales (Eastern) Conference

Northeast Division

-Toronto

-Montreal

-Ottawa

-Columbus

-Boston

-Buffalo

Atlantic Division

-New York Rangers

-New York Islanders

-Pittisburgh

-Philadelpia

-Atlanta

-Hartford/New Jersey

*Possible future expansion to Chicago, Seattle, Pheonix, Quebec City, San Francisco or Florida.

Sure drop the Lightning becausee they "robbed" ypu.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Incase you haven't noticed , most of the guys posting the realignments are Canadians. That's why the southern teams leave, and Winnipeg, Quebec, Seattle, Hartford, and other northern cities show up.

It's not that all southern teams aren't supported, it'd because it is a sacrilage to have hockey where ponds don't freeze.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

how do you know if they are a waste of a franchise, when you don't even know what kind of team they are. They are not in danger of losing a franchise, they have a new arena, and they signed players because they knew they would be safe financially. I bet if they were still the Winnipeg Jets people would be saying why aren't you saving them. Until youu knew what was really going on in Glendale/Phoenix. I would assume nothing

how do you know if they are a waste of a franchise, when you don't even know what kind of team they are. They are not in danger of losing a franchise, they have a new arena, and they signed players because they knew they would be safe financially. I bet if they were still the Winnipeg Jets people would be saying why aren't you saving them. Until youu knew what was really going on in Glendale/Phoenix. I would assume nothing

I didn't say they weren't succesful (Recent attendance has said that...), but that they shouldn't be there. I don't want a team in Phoenix. Thus, my post was my opinion, as was other posts.

sorry to break it habs, but Phoenix is staying put. You may hate em. I suspect because of them moving out of Winnipeg. But they will be here for years to come. And with all the good players they have signed, don't be surprised they win the Stanley Cup and keep it in the Southern Region(SE, SW).

sorry to break it habs, but Phoenix is staying put. You may hate em. I suspect because of them moving out of Winnipeg. But they will be here for years to come. And with all the good players they have signed, don't be surprised they win the Stanley Cup and keep it in the Southern Region(SE, SW).

I hate them because they screwed over Winnipeg, a city that actually cared about hockey, and was actually raising money for a private orginization to keep them in Manitoba. And don't be suprised if a lot of the fans don't come back after the lockout. Work stoppages kill non traditional markets (See: baseball in Canada)

Plus, all the good players? Sorry to break it to ya, lilg, but they'd be a great team.... if it was 1998. Most of the guys they signed are WAY out of their primes, or chronic underacheivers.

it's called mixing the veteran players and the good young players...(i.e Hull, Doan), they will have a good year. Just watch. Not my fault about the Coyotes. The Jets were bankrupt, and the Canadian market was keeping them down, a successful business man bought the team, got a call from Colangelo, and the rest is history. Jets are no more, but good luck on getting a team in Winnipeg. Nothing against Winnipeg, but i'm a Yote's fan, been one since they moved here. But I do wish Winnipeg all the luck in the world getting a team. Probably the Ducks, or the Penguins, but I do wish them luck in getting a team.

We have been a hockey market since the 70's, thanks to the Roadrunners. We may not be a traditionalist when it comes to the NHL, but the people I talk to on the Phoenix airwaves will go to hockey games when or if the season starts again.

it's called mixing the veteran players and the good young players...(i.e Hull, Doan), they will have a good year. Just watch. Not my fault about the Coyotes. The Jets were bankrupt, and the Canadian market was keeping them down, a successful business man bought the team, got a call from Colangelo, and the rest is history. Jets are no more, but good luck on getting a team in Winnipeg. Nothing against Winnipeg, but i'm a Yote's fan, been one since they moved here. But I do wish Winnipeg all the luck in the world getting a team. Probably the Ducks, or the Penguins, but I do wish them luck in getting a team.

Hey, didn't say it was your fault, bro, and I didn't mean to imply it if I did. And, hey, you are right, the Jets are kaput. I'm just sayin' what I'm feelin'.

If it makes ya feel any better, I'd rather have you guys win the cup then Toronto. :P:D

it's called mixing the veteran players and the good young players...(i.e Hull, Doan), they will have a good year.  Just watch.  Not my fault about the Coyotes.  The Jets were bankrupt, and the Canadian market was keeping them down, a successful business man bought the team, got a call from Colangelo, and the rest is history.  Jets are no more, but good luck on getting a team in Winnipeg.  Nothing against Winnipeg, but i'm a Yote's fan, been one since they moved here.  But I do wish Winnipeg all the luck in the world getting a team.  Probably the Ducks, or the Penguins, but I do wish them luck in getting a team.

Hey, didn't say it was your fault, bro, and I didn't mean to imply it if I did. And, hey, you are right, the Jets are kaput. I'm just sayin' what I'm feelin'.

If it makes ya feel any better, I'd rather have you guys win the cup then Toronto. :P:D

For some strange reason.... me too. :wacko: (Hate those teachers' pension group!)

I saw, I came, I left.

sorry to break it habs, but Phoenix is staying put.  You may hate em.  I suspect because of them moving out of Winnipeg.  But they will be here for years to come. And with all the good players they have signed, don't be surprised they win the Stanley Cup and keep it in the Southern Region(SE, SW).

I hate them because they screwed over Winnipeg, a city that actually cared about hockey, and was actually raising money for a private orginization to keep them in Manitoba. And don't be suprised if a lot of the fans don't come back after the lockout. Work stoppages kill non traditional markets (See: baseball in Canada)

Plus, all the good players? Sorry to break it to ya, lilg, but they'd be a great team.... if it was 1998. Most of the guys they signed are WAY out of their primes, or chronic underacheivers.

Don't think the Coyotes are who screwed Winnipeg. Not acoording to this Jets fan who explains why the left, and what he thinks it will take to get them back.

Why they left-

http://www.curtiswalker.com/jets/index2.htm

look under History

To get them back-

look under The future of Hockey in Winnipeg

I also found a site that basically goes along the lines of all small market major sports cities that economics were the reason. They couldn't afford a new arena, which meant they couldn't afford to keep important free agents, which means they can't stay competitive.

Do they have a new arena in Winnipeg? If not, it looks like that even with a salary cap the NHL wouldn't be looking their way.

And i'd rather see them win a Cup before the Leafs, Flyers, or Rangers.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Don't think the Coyotes are who screwed Winnipeg. Not acoording to this Jets fan who explains why the left, and what he thinks it will take to get them back.

Why they left-

http://www.curtiswalker.com/jets/index2.htm

look under History

To get them back-

look under The future of Hockey in Winnipeg

I also found a site that basically goes along the lines of all small market major sports cities that economics were the reason. They couldn't afford a new arena, which meant they couldn't afford to keep important free agents, which means they can't stay competitive.

Do they have a new arena in Winnipeg? If not, it looks like that even with a salary cap the NHL wouldn't be looking their way.

And i'd rather see them win a Cup before the Leafs, Flyers, or Rangers.

Uh, yeah, Shakenrow screwed them over, and the team was his when the moved, thus the Coyotes franchise screwed over Winnipeg. It even says so on the site. And, Flamesfan is right, there is a new arena, the True North Centre.

I think we agree some teams are definately on the chopping block. I don't see any markets right now that would be a massive, 100% turn around to move one of the following teams, so maybe it's best to fold these teams and worry about new markets once we actually have a league to play in.

Teams that could possibly be axed(In no real order):

1. Penguins: There's no way you can keep this team. I'm only focusing on keeping a team in the current market or killing it, I'm not considering moving teams right now, so you gotta kill this team.

2.Hurricanes: Almost as bad as the Pens. Horrible market, terrible revenues and attendance. Not worth keeping when the goal first and foremost is saving the league. The NHL has enough problems without having to look and see Carolina on the bankrupt horizon.

3.Panthers: I just don't think that they are needed. I don't think they'd be missed too much. I don't really know.

4.Capitals: Borderline. I could really go either way, but it would be an option to keep in mind.

5.Predators: Despite finally making the playoffs and being poised as a better team in the future, nobody in Tennessee cares. Correct me if I'm wrong here. Weak fanbase. Can definately do without them.

6.Ducks: Borderline. I really don't know much at all about their situation with finances and fanbase and all, but if it happened that the other 5 were cut and you wanted an even number of teams, the Ducks would be the next to go. Or you could keep them and the Caps.

7.Islanders: No other reason than you don't need to have the Rangers, Isalnders, and Devils all bunched up like that. Of those three, you have to keep the Rangers just for historical purposes, and the Devils I explain below. I'd probably be more likely to move this team that fold it, but that's not what I'm looking at right now.

8.Canucks: I dunno why. I probably wouldn't cut them, but I'd keep it in the back of my mind as a possibility if I really needed to lose one more team.

Teams others have axed but shouldn't have:

1.Coyotes: Are you kidding? Growing fanbase, great ownership, brand new arena. They aren't going anywhere.

2.Thrashers: Again, strong new ownership, larger fanbase than people give them credit for. If you're gonna chop an Atlanta team, chop the Hawks.

3.Stars: As much as I despise the Stars and their goonish cheating ways, I think they'd be in the re-born NHL.

4.Blue Jackets: I wouldn't contract this team just yet. I see some definate potential to be a strong organization. I'd let it make it into the new NHL but keep an eye on it.

5. Sabres: Strong ownership, starting to turn a corner. Better situation than Columbus, but I'd still keep a watchful eye on them in a new NHL. I'm not keeping them just because I'm a fan.

6. Devils: Weak attendance, yes. But still, I think they need to be kept. A new arena and the removal of the Islanders and they could get back on track.

There are probably others people have mentioned that don't need to be cut, but I'm too lazy to read 4 pages of long replies.

Markets the NHL should avoid like the plague:

1.Hamilton: Hamilton has been tossed around in the past as a spot to land an NHL club. It makes no sense. Why would you put a club right in between Buffalo and Toronto where everybody is already a Leafs fan anyways? You'd get rid of a big city team like Phoenix or Atlanta and expand into a place like Hamilton?? It's absurd.

2.Quebec: It just ain't gonna happen. Let it die. They've got a junior team and that's all they need in Q.C.

3.Winnipeg: Again, there is no chance. The NHL is going to try to avoid Canada for a while. If it lost a team in the past, the NHL isn't going to take a chance and put another team back there.

4.Hartford: Repeat of above. They lost a team, why risk giving it another one. If it's not a secure financial bet, it shouldn't be done right now. If the NHL were super strong and NFL-like, sure, maybe, but not now.

Markets to be considered for moving teams:

1.Portland, OR: Could be very good for the NHL if the minor league Pirates aren't there. Definately the first place I'd look in moving a team. If I were considering moving clubs, I'd move the Islanders here.

2.Kansas City: I'm not really comfortable with it, but I could see it happening.

Eastern Conference:

New Jersey

Boston

Atlanta

Buffalo

New York Rangers

Montreal

Philadelphia

Ottawa

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Washington, D.C.

Columbus

Western Division:

Chicago

Calgary

Colorado

Dallas

Detroit

Edmonton

Los Angeles

Minnesota

Phoenix

San Jose

Portland(formerly NYI)

I'd have to think more about dividing it into divisions and scheduling stuff and a CBA but I'm tired now.

Teams that could possibly be axed(In no real order):

7.Islanders: No other reason than you don't need to have the Rangers, Isalnders, and Devils all bunched up like that. Of those three, you have to keep the Rangers just for historical purposes, and the Devils I explain below. I'd probably be more likely to move this team that fold it, but that's not what I'm looking at right now.

Teams others have axed but shouldn't have:

6. Devils: Weak attendance, yes. But still, I think they need to be kept. A new arena and the removal of the Islanders and they could get back on track.

There are probably others people have mentioned that don't need to be cut, but I'm too lazy to read 4 pages of long replies.

I'd rather keep the Islanders--for historical reasons-they've been around longer than the Devils...Even if you count their time in Colorado & KC they still came along 2 years after the Isles...

Plus I was never a Scouts/Rockies/Devils fan--but before the Flames moved to Calgary, they were my #3 team, and they're still #4 on my list--they're not that good now, but if some teams folded and there was a dispersal draft and they had someone with hockey sense on board, with what they have now to build on they could get to be a contender...

Still, those are my thoughts, I do think contraction would be good, but it is a question of who to contract, and it's not easy to answer, and you're never going to please everyone...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

If it lost a team in the past, the NHL isn't going to take a chance and put another team back there.

Yeah, the NHL NEVER goes back to old failed markets... (notice the sarcasm)

I guess you forgot about Minnesota, Colorado, Atlanta, and Southern California. And you want to see a team move back to KC? THEY lost a team already too.

Too many people who know nothing about hockey or its history are on here pretending to be experts. I'm quite sure that most hockey fans (all 43 of them) in a state like Georgia couldn't even fathom when there was only 1 team in the southern U.S. (the LA Kings). Remember that time? Does the term Smythe Division mean anything to you?

Let's think back.... what was it like before hockey moved south? Well, for one, it was damn healthy. In the 80s, teams had their ups and downs but we never saw a rash of bankrupsies like this ever before. Also, the cities that had their teams LOVED their teams. There were no such things as corporations buying up thousands of seats, and shady attendance figures (announced crowd at a Hurricanes game: 15000, actual people in the stands: maybe 6000).

To be honest, the Jets coming back is a long shot for one reason. Not because Winnipeg is a poor hockey market, but because the NHL is now a large U.S.-run corporation which won't let go of its misguided dream to make the NHL the next NBA.

um, wow. Chill out. When I said the NHL isn't going to back to an old market, I meant right now. Yeah, they've done it in the past few years. Now the NHL is in a situation where they need every team to succeed. The NHL isn't going to go to move the Penguins to Winnipeg for instance during this hiatus or the next few years because they've tried it in Winnipeg and it didn't work. Maybe when the NHL is back on their feet it might be a consideration, but right now it just doesn't make sense. When the NHL went back to Southern California, Atlanta, and Minnesota there was more certainty in the league. Minnesota and Colorado turned out to be massive successes, but now you can't risk it. If the NHL takes any more gambles, they are just digging themselves a bigger hole. And I don't really want a team in K.C. It's just the only market besides Portland that might possibly work.

Chill out. There are no need for personal attacks and getting angry.

Archived