What Will The NHL Look LIke?

hubsportsfan17

i can't believe some of you are leaving out columbus and dallas, but keeping chicago and washington... sure, heritage is great, but the hawks and caps play in front of a few thousand empty seats every night, while dallas and the jackets play to full houses.

all i'd change is the owners... tell them not to offer contracts that they can't afford to fulfill (because no one held a gun to their heads to keep raising payroll, now did they? players can't offer THEMSELVES 10 million dollar contracts.)

that'd fix the NHL.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

also, Puckguy.... how are you going to convince the TV networks to flush all that money down the toilet?

i love the game, and you love the game... but we're in the minority. NHL broadcasts get less viewers than 50 cars driving around in circles for 3 hours, and less viewers than arena football. you can't just force a sport on the country, and expect them to watch it. most americans don't like hockey... force feeding them by broadcasting 50 games a week nationally isn't going to make them into fans.

*shakes head*

People, even if there's a big blowup due to the lockout, one thing that isn't going to happen is the Jets coming back. Sorry, that's fact.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Brian Burke had one of the smartest plans for solving the NHL's woes.

Because it's so smart, it'll never be implemented in any form.

Burke's 15 Steps

People, even if there's a big blowup due to the lockout, one thing that isn't going to happen is the Jets coming back. Sorry, that's fact.

I often think I'm the only fan in Winnipeg who thinks this. The fact, the crux of the biscuit, is that if the CBA makes it possible for Winnipeg to support a NHL franchise, it also makes it possible for Atlanta/Phoenix/Nashville/Raleigh to support an NHL franchise, without worrying about paying player salaries and league dues/fines in $US while selling merch and tickets in $Cdn. A minimum $33M US salary threshold is still $44m Canadian.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

How about this idea: any team who has won a Stanley Cup gets to stay (what could be considered a "tradition" factor), while the rest of the teams have to put their names in a hat?

:D

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Here goes mine...

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division

Atlanta

New Jersey

NY Islanders

Philadelphia

Tampa Bay

Washington

Northeast Division

Boston

Buffalo

Montreal

NY Rangers

Ottawa

Toronto

Western Conference

Midwest Division

Chicago

Columbus

Dallas

Detroit

Minnesota

St. Louis

Pacfic Division

Calgary

Colorado

Edmonton

Los Angeles

San Jose

Vancouver

Schedule: 78 games (6 vs. division, 4 vs. rest of conference, 2 vs. other conference)

Here goes mine...

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division

Atlanta

New Jersey

NY Islanders

Philadelphia

Tampa Bay

Washington

Northeast Division

Boston

Buffalo

Montreal

NY Rangers

Ottawa

Toronto

Western Conference

Midwest Division

Chicago

Columbus

Dallas

Detroit

Minnesota

St. Louis

Pacfic Division

Calgary

Colorado

Edmonton

Los Angeles

San Jose

Vancouver

Schedule: 78 games (6 vs. division, 4 vs. rest of conference, 2 vs. other conference)

That looks good but NJ and NYR have to be in the same divisions as the 2 arenas are 5 miles apart. You could probably move TB to the West and Columbus to the NE and the Rangers back to the Atlantic with the Isles and Devils.

trust me guys, even if there is bankruptcies and contraction, Phoenix will still be around, alive and kicking and winning the 2005 Stanley Cup. New Arena, rich owner in Jerry Moyes, paying for things to happen, and the Great One. Do you really expect the NHL to contract a team who has Wayne Gretzky as Managing Partner.

Do you really expect the NHL to contract a team who has Wayne Gretzky as Managing Partner.

Yup. And I also expect the team that is owned Le Magnifique to be out of Pittsburgh and under new management. Wayne won't have a problem finding work somewhere else.

But, honestly, Phoenix as a market for ice hockey? I know there are some bigtime fans down there (I have some fams and friends in Arizona) but for the most part, I have been led to believe that the Coyotes are a very minor attraction.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Do you really expect the NHL to contract a team who has Wayne Gretzky as Managing Partner.

Yup. And I also expect the team that is owned Le Magnifique to be out of Pittsburgh and under new management. Wayne won't have a problem finding work somewhere else.

But, honestly, Phoenix as a market for ice hockey? I know there are some bigtime fans down there (I have some fams and friends in Arizona) but for the most part, I have been led to believe that the Coyotes are a very minor attraction.

Well they sold tickets at a rate of 90% of capacity. They averaged more fans than 11 other teams. That's not to bad for a relatively new team to a market.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

also, Puckguy.... how are you going to convince the TV networks to flush all that money down the toilet?

i love the game, and you love the game... but we're in the minority. NHL broadcasts get less viewers than 50 cars driving around in circles for 3 hours, and less viewers than arena football. you can't just force a sport on the country, and expect them to watch it. most americans don't like hockey... force feeding them by broadcasting 50 games a week nationally isn't going to make them into fans.

What I should say is that, the current contract would work onto build a new fan base. Then the new contract (with the exception of Fox and ESPN) the networks would teach the game, with a scroll at the bottom mentioning hockey lingo. So at the same time, hockey diehards can watch the game, while new fans can read lingo when its mentioned.

Also, the TV contract proposed is similar to what the NHL had 10 years ago.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Well they sold tickets at a rate of 90% of capacity. They averaged more fans than 11 other teams. That's not to bad for a relatively new team to a market.

well when you have a four sport system in place in Phoenix of course it will be pretty hard to have any team in any market. But the Glendale Arena soon to be KB Arena is a very well packed arena. When we had the Roadrunners(now in Edmonton) they were always sold out, and were one of the top teams to be sold out in the IHL. Coyotes are a very new team here, and they have been very succesful. Last year they may have had a bad season, but it doesn't mean people didn't care about this team. Trust me when you're in the radio business, especially the sports radio business, you hear alot of people who actually do care and like this team alot. So you say That Phoenix isn't a Hockey Market then you have never really been here to experience this hockey market for the past 32 years.

Coyotes were trying to make the Roadrunners an affiliate of the Coyotes for the IHL, instead of the Kings. They were going to have a campaign to watch both the Yote's and the Roadrunners, but the Roadrunners owner was only worried about making money and not the fans so he suspended operations and moved to Toronto. Look what good that did. Now in these times I have heard rumors from a source, that have said that the Coyotes owner Jerry Moyes CEO of Swift Transportions, is interested in buying the Roadrunners and moving them back into the Veterans Memorial Colesium. Minority owner back then and trying to buy the team now. But it's only rumor.

They need to cut teams. Here's my useless idea...

NHL EAST

New York Rangers

Toronto

Montreal

Detroit

Chicago

Boston

Philadelphia

Ottawa

NHL WEST

Colorado

Los Angeles

Minnesota

Calgary

Edmonton

Vancouver

St. Louis

San Jose

63 Game Schedule. Play each divisional team 9 times.

No inter-divisional games.

Top two teams in each division at the end of the season play for the Divisional Championship. Winners of the Divisional Championship play for the Stanley Cup.

Hopefully, with an NFL-type financial system, it'll make the competition more fun, prices for tickets lower, and all will be right with the world...

i like it. only a few changes.

1) i think ur devils should be included. philidelphia sports fans disgust me, so out go the flyers, in come teh devils.

2) winnipeg should replace la.

Toronto

Montreal

Quebec

Ottawa

Detroit

Chicago

New York Rangers

Boston

Philadephia

Winnipeg

Edmonton

Calgary

Vancouver

Los Angeles

Colorado

Dallas

St. Louis

Minnesota

and eventually add a maximum 2 more teams

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

i can't believe some of you are leaving out columbus and dallas, but keeping chicago and washington... sure, heritage is great, but the hawks and caps play in front of a few thousand empty seats every night, while dallas and the jackets play to full houses.

all i'd change is the owners... tell them not to offer contracts that they can't afford to fulfill (because no one held a gun to their heads to keep raising payroll, now did they? players can't offer THEMSELVES 10 million dollar contracts.)

that'd fix the NHL.

THey can't offer themselves, but they can get it through Abritration and RFA salary raises.

Archived