2024 NBA Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Is he trying to be voted out by the owners? That’s the only explanation.

Dolan might be the only owner in the NBA who's also a full owner of the team's local broadcast network, though, so if an overall increase in media rights is offset by lessening the earning power of MSG Network, it makes sense for him to be opposed. I think the other NBA teams all only have partial stakes, at most, in their RSNs.

I was going to suggest that this was a bridge too far for keeping the team together - seeing as Sam Hausers grow on trees in the modern NBA - but as I was writing I remembered that salaries and inflation are so :censored:ed that this is probably more than fair from the Celtics' perspective, and they'll be in second apron hell either way. James Posey probably would have went for $20M a year after the 2008 championship in today's numbers.

In any case, good on the Grousbecks for going out of their way to keep a title winning team together on their way out, and letting whichever hedge fund turbo-cokehead buys the team figure it out when things start getting hairy.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2024 at 8:34 PM, jrodsep said:

TNT got until tonight to match either Amazon or NBC's bid

Update: TNT matches Amazon. That means... for the first time since June 2002:

It's back.

Edited by TrueYankee26
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

New Clippers arena looks great and congrats to them for having a nice thing for once. Though also, hilarious to me that they built a ginormous parking garage attached to it, across the street from an absolute sea of parking lots for SoFi and the old Forum. Never change, LA.

51 minutes ago, Digby said:

New Clippers arena looks great and congrats to them for having a nice thing for once. Though also, hilarious to me that they built a ginormous parking garage attached to it, across the street from an absolute sea of parking lots for SoFi and the old Forum. Never change, LA.

Who owns them though?  If they build their own, they control the revenue that it generates (and I assume they're smart enough to calculate break-even) rather than having to cut a deal to lease someone else's lot or pay someone else some percentage of revenue.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Who owns them though?  If they build their own, they control the revenue that it generates (and I assume they're smart enough to calculate break-even) rather than having to cut a deal to lease someone else's lot or pay someone else some percentage of revenue.

Yes, I'm sure Kroenke and Ballmer wouldn't want to cut a deal if they don't have to. Kind of sad for that to be an efficient and profitable use of space in such a dense city (by California standards) and kind of a sad statement at the same time both of these venues are getting publicity as part of the "the first car-free Olympic Games", or so they say.

The Intuit Dome looks pretty cool. Very steep seating bowl, which is nice. I hope this doesn't spell the end of the Forum across the street, because the way that went from being a forgotten old building to a good-as-new concert venue was a welcome change of pace. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/21/2024 at 12:19 PM, The_Admiral said:

The Intuit Dome looks pretty cool. Very steep seating bowl, which is nice. I hope this doesn't spell the end of the Forum across the street, because the way that went from being a forgotten old building to a good-as-new concert venue was a welcome change of pace. 

I don't think it will since Ballmer owns the Forum as well.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• 3 weeks later...