2024 NBA Offseason Thread

Reaching European top-flight soccer levels of "lol nothing matters" on the coaching carousel.

Hot-sh!t new Suns owner guy has to eat four years of that contract he handed Vogel. I'm sure that's money we could put towards a point guard, but okay.

It might not be audacious to say that adding Durant was the worst thing to happen to this Suns team (you can throw the Beal trade in there as well). I don't even think there's much they can do at this point. They can't add to their bench because they're stuck with those enormous contracts and almost every other playoff team in the West has also gotten better. Phoenix just seems kind of stuck in that 6-10 seed playoff window for the next few years.

3 hours ago, Digby said:

I'm sure that's money we could put towards a point guard, but okay.

why is it one or the other?  A coach doesn't count against a cap.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, BBTV said:

why is it one or the other?  A coach doesn't count against a cap.

It's not, I'm being sarcastic and mocking the new nepo-baby owner. Though an owner who keeps paying a coach (or two) that's no longer employed by his team may be less interested in paying the big salaries and luxury taxes that are likely required to compete.

In any case, the imbalance of that roster was clear from day one but he wanted to make a splash instead. Fine, whatever. It's a lot like the recent Nets in that the team had a decent foundation, maybe even a better one considering their recent playoff pedigree. But blowing up your roster to cater to KD and friends never seems to work.

Wait...an NBA offseason thread and the Timberwovles have not reached the offseason? What the heck is happening here?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Wait...an NBA offseason thread and the Timberwovles have not reached the offseason? What the heck is happening here?

The world is upside down. Even more fascinating when you consider that so many faces of the league over the past decade are on the outside looking in at this point. It's a new world order in the NBA. 

4 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

The world is upside down. Even more fascinating when you consider that so many faces of the league over the past decade are on the outside looking in at this point. It's a new world order in the NBA. 

Y'all know Long John Neck Silver is gonna try to take credit for that, right?

• LOL 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The era of Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, and LeBron James was overall a good one, though. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, The_Admiral said:

The era of Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, and LeBron James was overall a good one, though. 

It was better than a lot of the oldheads give it credit for, beyond a doubt. I still prefer the “post-Jordan dark night of the soul” era that was dominated by the Lakers and Spurs.

The first half of the dark age was truly bleak, all Vince Carter and Allen Iverson taking bad shots and missing them [EDIT: ugh, the New Jersey Nets, UGH], but the back end of the dark age had the '04 Pistons smacking down the proto-superteam Lakers, the fun Suns teams, and the '07 Warriors beating the Mavericks to close it out. Fond memories of staying up all night watching Inside the NBA with a big bag of Taco Bell and a tank of Baja Blast.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I always forget about the Dwight/Stan Orlando teams even though they were very good and had a couple of playoff classics with those Celtics teams. It's interesting in hindsight to look at the ways that the modern game started to show up a little bit, e.g. how Pop set up those Spurs teams, the Celtics letting Allen and Pierce (relatively) loose on the 3, pearl-clutching about the legalities of the Euro step... But Dwight seems like a total relic of the time.

Dwight was instrumental in that 2020 Lakers title. The Lakers brought size back to the NBA for that year and they dominated as a result.

And then they lost their bigs, had an unfortunate early exit and went all in on Russ. Dummies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 hours ago, Digby said:

I always forget about the Dwight/Stan Orlando teams even though they were very good and had a couple of playoff classics with those Celtics teams. It's interesting in hindsight to look at the ways that the modern game started to show up a little bit, e.g. how Pop set up those Spurs teams, the Celtics letting Allen and Pierce (relatively) loose on the 3, pearl-clutching about the legalities of the Euro step... But Dwight seems like a total relic of the time.

Dwight Howard, Andrew Bogut, Andrea Bargnani is a weird sequence of #1 picks. Dwight and Bogut both feel like relics.