2024 WNBA Thread

So USA Basketball made the claim that the reason as to why Caitlin Clark was left off the team was because of "inexperience." Didn't both Hailey Van Lith and Cameron Brink make the team themselves? How do they have more experience?

48 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

So USA Basketball made the claim that the reason as to why Caitlin Clark was left off the team was because of "inexperience." Didn't both Hailey Van Lith and Cameron Brink make the team themselves? How do they have more experience?

Van Lith and Brink are on the 3x3 team and both have experience playing in 3x3 tournaments, they won the 2023 3x3 World Cup.

Clark has never played in a 3x3 tournament and is therefore not even eligible to play for the team under FIBA rules.

3x3 eligibility requires 2 players be ranked in their nation's individual top 10 rankings, while the other two must either be ranked in the top 10 or have participated in at least 1 tournament in last 18 months.

So she basically only had the 5 on 5 team, and pretty much every expert who actually pays attention to women's basketball says she would've been easily the worst guard on the team aside from maybe Taurasi.

Honestly, all the outrage really seems to come from the talking heads who want the ratings for their shows and people who don't even care about the sport but are mad because their great white savior isn't going to be in the Olympics.

• Like 7

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

3 hours ago, MDGP said:

Van Lith and Brink are on the 3x3 team and both have experience playing in 3x3 tournaments, they won the 2023 3x3 World Cup.

Clark has never played in a 3x3 tournament and is therefore not even eligible to play for the team under FIBA rules.

3x3 eligibility requires 2 players be ranked in their nation's individual top 10 rankings, while the other two must either be ranked in the top 10 or have participated in at least 1 tournament in last 18 months.

So she basically only had the 5 on 5 team, and pretty much every expert who actually pays attention to women's basketball says she would've been easily the worst guard on the team aside from maybe Taurasi.

Honestly, all the outrage really seems to come from the talking heads who want the ratings for their shows and people who don't even care about the sport but are mad because their great white savior isn't going to be in the Olympics.

Gotcha. I figured there was something behind it because not a single person brought it up. Come to think of it, I think I remember at least Brink showcased on last year's 3 on 3, though I thought it was for something else entirely. I will say that even if she was eligible, the women's team is so stacked that I don't even think there is anyone you could really take off for her (maybe Taurasi just because of age, but I think she has more than earned a spot based on her career). Anyway, thanks for the clarity.

2 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

Gotcha. I figured there was something behind it because not a single person brought it up. I will say that even if she was eligible, the women's team is so stacked that I don't even think there is anyone you could really take off for her (maybe Taurasi just because of age, but I think she has more than earned a spot based on her career). Anyway, thanks for the clarity.

No problem, I only knew because I saw it mentioned in an ESPN article. From what I've read FIBA cares a lot about the integrity of 3x3 and want to prevent countries like the US from just throwing top superstars into the competition without actually playing in the events, which honestly is a good move for the sport as a whole.

• Like 2

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I believe that every player on the team has been to multiple WNBA all-star games.

It was probably the right choice for her not to be on there...unless we want to ask team USA to take on the role of "growing the game."

Selfishly I'm glad she's not going because we can get all the whining over with and be spared the complaints when she doesn't start and plays like 12 minutes per game.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

17 hours ago, MDGP said:

100% this. Sports talk as a category, whether on TV or radio, is possibly the worst use of human energy ever devised. The grasping at straws has become such a staple that it's more aggravating than entertaining. 

That said, even inane and empty dialogue about women's sports, and the WNBA in particular, is a good thing. The attention is annoying, but it's no longer being ignored. That's a victory. 

I understand keeping her off the team based on her WNBA career, but if the Dream Team found room for Christian Laettner, I'm sure this team could have found room for Caitlin Clark. What would they have done, only beaten Estonia by 40?

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

That said, even inane and empty dialogue about women's sports, and the WNBA in particular, is a good thing. The attention is annoying, but it's no longer being ignored. That's a victory. 

21 hours ago, MDGP said:

people who don't even care about the sport but are mad because their great white savior isn't going to be in the Olympics.

Yeah, I agree, it's awesome that we're having yet another proxy race war in America. We hadn't had one in like two months!

• LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

33 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

I understand keeping her off the team based on her WNBA career, but if the Dream Team found room for Christian Laettner, I'm sure this team could have found room for Caitlin Clark. What would they have done, only beaten Estonia by 40?

Laettner was a "token pick" for amateur sports, but I think he was understandably one of the best NCAA players, and had a national title. I remember (yes I am that old) that a lot of people were scratching their heads that they took Laettner and not another pro. 

• Like 1

And I think she could have been a similar token pick here as well for the sake of national interest--think of how many tennis players get wild cards into the Slams because people like them--but she has become such a third rail that everyone thought it best not to have any freezeouts or rough practices or all of the other trouble that follows her everywhere she goes now. Women be seeking consensus and so forth.

51 minutes ago, walkerws said:

Laettner was a "token pick" for amateur sports, but I think he was understandably one of the best NCAA players, and had a national title. I remember (yes I am that old) that a lot of people were scratching their heads that they took Laettner and not another pro. 

Even more people were scratching their heads that they picked Laettner over Shaq if I recall. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

The thing with Laettner was that at the time going to a team of primarily pros was very odd and I think that having one college player on there was a bit of a nod to the tradition of sending college players. This was the first US team I remember a lot of Americans cheering against.

By now the US basketball teams have not bothered with amateurs. I'm not educated enough to know whether she's one of the dozen best players right now. But the outrage I'm seeing (and cries of racism) is unwarranted.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Angel Reese smacked Caitlin Clark in the face really hard the other day, and while far be it from me to say that women aren't allowed to heartily compete with each other in a physical sport, I still felt kind of a visceral "oh, well no, I don't much like that at all" that I think everyone feels in such cases except for maybe MMA weirdos.

• Like 2

I would think it's just more of jealousy of the attention she's getting, though it seems to be from veteran players more so. I'm not seeing any of her other fellow draftees (I guess you can debate Reese) going out of their way to attack her. It's one thing to give the "Welcome to the league" message to a rookie, but this all kind of feels like bullying to some degree. I didn't watch any WNBA until seeing a few games last year (also the 2019 Finals) so maybe I just don't know. Is this normal for top draft picks or is Clark really an outliner? 🤷‍♂️

isn't Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese the women's version of Magic and Bird? so there should be a rivalry between the two, even if both of them suck at the game of basketball (so far)

• Dislike 3

spacer.png

Reese has won more than Clark but continues to be in her shadow. Yes, that would be annoying, though maybe not "whack her in the gourd" annoying.

Clark's teammates must hate her too, since they don't do a damn thing after she gets floored by someone from the defense. That really can't happen. Either you're on the same team or you're not, and the rest of the Fever doesn't seem to like her very much. Or value her safety.

Was it like this for Clark in college too? Or this is strictly WNBA? It's also weird, because it's not like Clark is the first highly-rated rookie to enter the WNBA. Sue Bird, Kelsey Plum, Candace Parker, Brittany Greiner and a ton more have been highly-touted WNBA prospects, and they managed to have careers without needing to worry about getting laid out. What's so special about Caitlin Clark?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

35 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Reese has won more than Clark but continues to be in her shadow. Yes, that would be annoying, though maybe not "whack her in the gourd" annoying.

Clark's teammates must hate her too, since they don't do a damn thing after she gets floored by someone from the defense. That really can't happen. Either you're on the same team or you're not, and the rest of the Fever doesn't seem to like her very much. Or value her safety.

Was it like this for Clark in college too? Or this is strictly WNBA? It's also weird, because it's not like Clark is the first highly-rated rookie to enter the WNBA. Sue Bird, Kelsey Plum, Candace Parker, Brittany Greiner and a ton more have been highly-touted WNBA prospects, and they managed to have careers without needing to worry about getting laid out. What's so special about Caitlin Clark?

Caitlin Clark was a good scorer in college?

spacer.png

She’s over-hyped and/or annoying to the current league roster, who weren’t treated like royalty by the basketball press? Or more complicated reasons, ones which require deft handling on a message board?

Caitlin really is in a no-win situation, as she can’t really fight back without compounding the problem.

• Like 1