2024 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LIX

13 hours ago, PurpleHayes said:

It is if you consider that 90,000 of those votes came from people under 25 who's only frame of reference is the mono uniforms from Any Given Sunday.

My generation has been conditioned to think mono-color is cool (primarily mono-black and mono-white), especially right around when Color Rush Came out. Heck, my old HS football team went through one heck of process of stripping away any unique identity from the time I got there.

From this:

Photo Galleries - Mountain Vista Golden Eagles (Highlands Ranch, CO)  Varsity Football

To this:

Ralston Valley's defense turns away Mountain Vista in Zero Week - Colorado High  School Activities Association

To this:

Mountain Vista High School Football (@VistaGridiron) / X

Mind you the team is called the Golden Eagles and the fight song has the colors Green and Gold... it's a trend that's been happening at the college/HS level for years, and it's been working its way up to the pros for years now because of those kids who think its cool now getting there.

• Like 6

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

1 hour ago, damnyoutuesday said:

I'm surprised how it's not really being brought up that we're getting a double throwback game tonight in Seattle

Can we really enjoy it as a throwback game though when we all know every 49ers player will wear solid mono-white socks and look like garbage like they do with the red throwbacks?

Would it kill players to wear proper socks for one or two throwback games per year??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

This against the New England throwbacks will be a nice contrast.

I was so relieved when this was announced to be a throwback game for New England. That Houston combo with New England in all navy would've made my eyes bleed.

I remember as a kid, I thought the Jaguars and Ravens blackouts were cool (still liked the Ravens better with white pants) when they first came out, but it was like a once per year thing. (and it didn't really both me that neither had pants stripes, well I guess JAX had stripes originally) When teams starting wearing mono all the time and basically as much as their regular uniforms, or in the Saints and others' case, basically is their primary now (Seahawks, Cardinals, Patriots) is when it got annoying. The Bengals black on black with orange socks or the Panthers black on black with blue socks I think are awesome alternate looks. But black head or neck to toe and so frequently? Sucks.

When the Vikings first broke out all purple during the reebok set, I thought "that's cool but I don't need to see more than once every year or two."

Then there's "icy white". All white uniforms is pretty much the traditional road look for most teams for forever, there's nothing wrong with it, it becomes a problem when teams drop their colored socks for white leggings and even worse when they add an unnecessary white alt helmet to the mix.

2 hours ago, SportsFan12 said:

Of course the Saints include gold pants in this graphic.

Does anyone here honestly believe the Saints have the best uniforms in the NFL?  

I'm not sure they're in the top half.

Was this poll only taken in Louisana?

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, SportsFan12 said:

Of course the Saints include gold pants in this graphic.

It’s like they’re trolling us by posting the gold pants in the graphics. We know they never get worn…

This number one ranking sucks because now the Saints will really believe that the all-black and all-white are superior looks because of some young people who have no taste in tradition or style. Sad times…

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, kaleb_girod said:

Can we really enjoy it as a throwback game though when we all know every 49ers player will wear solid mono-white socks and look like garbage like they do with the red throwbacks?

Would it kill players to wear proper socks for one or two throwback games per year??

We've trashed the Niners plenty of times for wearing white socks, but the white throwbacks were always intended to be worn with white socks ever since they replaced the all-black monstrosities in 2018. The players who wore red socks with it in the last few years were actually wearing it "incorrectly." 

But they should be rightfully clowned for wearing the white socks with the primaries and red throwbacks. And they do need to reinstate red socks on the white throwbacks as the "official" combo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

We've trashed the Niners plenty of times for wearing white socks, but the white throwbacks were always intended to be worn with white socks ever since they replaced the all-black monstrosities in 2018. The players who wore red socks with it in the last few years were actually wearing it "incorrectly." 

But they should be rightfully clowned for wearing the white socks with the primaries and red throwbacks. And they do need to reinstate red socks on the white throwbacks as the "official" combo.

That's true, but the 49ers always called it a throwback, not CR. And with how often players wear white socks with their primary jerseys, it's hard to take any argument about white socks being the correct socks seriously, even with the CR uniforms. 

I know the 49ers are basing the throwbacks on '94, but I would like to see them go full throwback and bring back the red helmets from the '55 set. It would help separate the throwbacks from the primaries and the gold helmets look almost as out of place as the white socks.

• Dislike 2

22 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

My generation has been conditioned to think mono-color is cool (primarily mono-black and mono-white), especially right around when Color Rush Came out. Heck, my old HS football team went through one heck of process of stripping away any unique identity from the time I got there.

From this:

Photo Galleries - Mountain Vista Golden Eagles (Highlands Ranch, CO)  Varsity Football

To this:

Ralston Valley's defense turns away Mountain Vista in Zero Week - Colorado High  School Activities Association

To this:

Mountain Vista High School Football (@VistaGridiron) / X

Mind you the team is called the Golden Eagles and the fight song has the colors Green and Gold... it's a trend that's been happening at the college/HS level for years, and it's been working its way up to the pros for years now because of those kids who think its cool now getting there.

I feel you. My alma mater uses the colors blue and white, which are specifically mentioned in the school song that was written way back in the 1920s (I think). They frequently used red as an accent color (and occasionally a primary; pictures of the baseball team from the 1980s show red hats), and were phasing that out when I went there (football team was blue and white only, mono at home but not egregious; cheerleaders’ uniforms still included some red). The school handbook only mentioned blue and white, and I would guess probably still does. 

Now? Same official colors, same alma mater song, same fight song…but they now use silver as an unofficial accent color everywhere but the sports uniforms. The uniforms are confusing - the high school primarily wears blue and white, but the younger teams seem to wear black with dark royal blue numbers, which (A) we should be setting trends instead of chasing them, and (B) that doesn’t even make sense because of the lack of contrast. 

The mono trend was in high school and college at least as far back as the late 1990s; my bigger concern is kids today thinking everyone has to have a black uniform, even if it makes no sense for the school in question.