2024 Summer Olympics in Paris

11 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I'm a casual viewer of the Summer Olympics. With that in mind, I have a couple questions that I hope you all can answer.

1. Simone Biles is 4'10" and I'm pretty sure she could dunk in basketball. Am I the only one who wants to see her do that?

2. Speaking of gymnastics, why is it that the men's team gets to wear tank tops and shorts, but the women have to wear those skimpy little outfits with their asses hanging out? I bet the women would be even better if they were allowed to wear comfortable uniforms.

rafJaZ1m.jpg

NDwrquSm.jpg

1 hour ago, walkerws said:

Tradition and their scores generally are on how graceful they are. I think the Germans wore full leggings last Olympics, so there are some options. I am slightly surprised that hte men don't have a tighter compression legging for some of the disciplines they do. 

Those points, and also throw in that in practicality the mens' and womens' sports really are apples and oranges different.  Women is agility and grace while men is much more strength-based.  There's a reason that the two only share two disciplines and the men have two additional ones thrown onto the total.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

46 minutes ago, LMU said:
2 hours ago, walkerws said:

Tradition and their scores generally are on how graceful they are. I think the Germans wore full leggings last Olympics, so there are some options. I am slightly surprised that hte men don't have a tighter compression legging for some of the disciplines they do. 

Those points, and also throw in that in practicality the mens' and womens' sports really are apples and oranges different.  Women is agility and grace while men is much more strength-based.  There's a reason that the two only share two disciplines and the men have two additional ones thrown onto the total.

Women wouldn't be as "graceful" or agile in more comfortable uniforms? Where does constantly pulling those uniforms out of their ass crack play into the grace and agility? There is nothing "practical" about the women's uniforms. Granted, I'm not an expert on gymnastics, but this seems more like "it's the way we've always done it" than anything else. They're not Barbie dolls, they're athletes. Let them dress accordingly.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I think the IOC needs an international standard points system for the medal count. China has more golds right now, but the US has far more in total. Here's my proposal:

Gold = 5 points

Silver = 2 points

Bronze = 1 point

Winning should count for more so gold gets 2.5 times more weight, but the other medals are still being given out so they should count for something. Only counting the gold medals feels like it doesn't tell the whole story so silver and bronze gets some points too. 

Here's the scores using this system

USA - 94

China - 86

France - 78

Great Britain - 69

Australia - 57

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

3X3 is a joke of a "sport" and almost insult to the actual 12-person basketball squads who rightfully make the Games as the world's best players. I'd rather see a 3-point or dunk contest as an event.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

6uXNWAo.png

9 minutes ago, Cujo said:

3X3 is a joke of a "sport" and almost insult to the actual 12-person basketball squads who rightfully make the Games as the world's best players. I'd rather see a 3-point or dunk contest as an event.

Completely agree. All these other sports are the best competitors in the world competing and in 3x3 you get… Canyon Barry?

• Like 2

IUe6Hvh.png

1 minute ago, See Red said:

Completely agree. All these other sports are the best competitors in the world competing and in 3x3 you get… Canyon Barry?

I get Jimmer Fredette, but the other three I don't understand.  

• Huh? 1

3 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I get Jimmer Fredette, but the other three I don't understand.  

Present day: Jimmer Fredette is likely the US's 2957367th best basketball player

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

9 minutes ago, See Red said:

One of them, Kareem Maddox works for the Timberwolves....in the front office.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I think Jimmer’s played, like, six NBA games in the last eight years because he’s not good enough. None of these guys from any of these countries are good enough to make their country’s actual basketball teams and this sport isn’t unique enough from 5 on 5 that there is some skillset to justify these guys being Olympians over any of the NBA players sitting at home and probably a good amount of college kids. 

• Like 2

IUe6Hvh.png

14 minutes ago, See Red said:

Same has been said about regular ice hockey in the Olympics, but the NHL is coming back for I think the next two Winter Olympics.  

2 minutes ago, See Red said:

I think Jimmer’s played, like, six NBA games in the last eight years because he’s not good enough. None of these guys from any of these countries are good enough to make their country’s actual basketball teams and this sport isn’t unique enough from 5 on 5 that there is some skillset to justify these guys being Olympians over any of the NBA players sitting at home and probably a good amount of college kids. 

FIBA rules on 3x3 prevent current NBA players from participating in 3x3 in the Olympics.  An idea that has been floating is to use former NBA players from the Big3.  

2 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

FIBA rules on 3x3 prevent current NBA players from participating in 3x3 in the Olympics.  An idea that has been floating is to use former NBA players from the Big3.  

So Jimmer and a Barry offspring are the BEST OF THE BEST who aren't in the league? 🤦‍♂️

6uXNWAo.png

18 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Pretty much because they have experience in 3x3.

What tf kinda "experience" do you need to play 3x3 as opposed to 5x5?

6uXNWAo.png

1 minute ago, Cujo said:

What tf kinda "experience" do you need to play 3x3 as opposed to 5x5?

FIBA has 3x3 sanctioned tournaments and that's how Team USA picks their team.  Zero active NBA players play in those 3x3 tournaments, so therefore not eligible.  

11 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

FIBA has 3x3 sanctioned tournaments and that's how Team USA picks their team.  Zero active NBA players play in those 3x3 tournaments, so therefore not eligible.  

Which is total BS because NBA players were just named to the 12-man team and didn't have to play in tournaments or do anything to qualify themselves for the Olympics.

3x3 is a jokeeeeee. Plumbers vs plumbers. Hope it doesn't return for LA28.

6uXNWAo.png

53 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Which is total BS because NBA players were just named to the 12-man team and didn't have to play in tournaments or do anything to qualify themselves for the Olympics.

3x3 is a jokeeeeee. Plumbers vs plumbers. Hope it doesn't return for LA28.

I think it'll still be there. I wonder why FIBA is so stringent on 3v3? I guess to make it so the USA just doesn't run away with everything. I guess if they didn't, the Big 3 players would be able to dominate only because they're playing a version of it for a whole season. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think it'll still be there

If it is, it'll be revised to allow NBAers have a crack at it, instead of draft busts and nobodys. 

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png