New Naming Rights Game

Burning River

Here we go... the actual "Ice Rink" now has a seperate name than the arena.

National City, The Bank Behind The Barons

The Cleveland Barons announced a new two-year strategic corporate partnership with National City. Michael T. Lehr, President of the Cleveland Barons, in conjunction with Rick Lewis, executive vice president at National City, made the announcement.

The partnership includes rink-naming rights, making National City Rink at Gund Arena the ONLY corporately sponsored sheet of ice in either the AHL or NHL. The Barons will now host their home schedule at the newly named National City Rink at Gund Arena. National City will be prominently displayed on the ice with a wrap around the center face-off circle and two in-ice logos.

Dedicated to developing young hockey players, the Barons and National City have structured a financial education workshop. The workshop topics will range from simple banking strategies to sound investment-making. In addition, National City will work with the Barons front office in a similar fashion.

National City will team with the Barons on the community front as well. The two will partner in four National City Breakaway with the Barons during the 2004-05 season. The Breakaway with the Barons program has been a staple of Cleveland Hockey during the Barons existence. The entire Barons roster takes part in a one-hour practice at a local ice rink followed by a one-hour post-game skate. Dates and locations of the 2004-05 National City Breakaway with the Barons will be announced at a later time.

"We couldn't be more proud to have National City as the bank behind the Barons. This partnership is completely unique in that the Cleveland Barons have the only sponsored sheet of ice in both the AHL and NHL," stated Lehr. "Not only did National City come to us with the interest of developing and educating our organization, but they also displayed their commitment to supporting the community."

"At National City, we're a proud supporter of local sporting and educational events, and we're excited to hit the ice with the Cleveland Barons," said Rick Lewis. "This relationship allows us to impact the lives of young people in this area and foster their development both in and out of the rink."

Per club policy, terms of the partnership are not disclosed.

Sample play-by-play from the year 2037: "MacGuigan waits in the Target crease as Robertson and Shevchenko wait for the puck to drop in the Bud Light faceoff circle to his left..."

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

In Cleveland's situation you've got a building named for a family rather than a business, so selling the rights to the playing surface doesn't seem so bad. I'll be interested to see if anything is done with the Cavs' basketball court. I doubt we'll see too much of this double naming in buildings that already bear commercial names because it would dilute the branding strength of the building's sponsor. However, as those naming rights contracts expire a new condition for subsequent agreements could be a provision permitting the sale of naming rights to the playing surface(s) therein.

That being said, if the operator of a building bearing a commercial name decides to name its playing surface for a legendary player or coach, I'd be very cool with that.

that's nothing down here for the marlins games they have a lawyer for a firm reading the, "this copyrighted telecast of major league baseball....'' with the firm's phone number on the bottom of the screen. also when there is a mound conference they read an ad for metro pcs, when they do a pitching change they play the song, "when you need a car, truck, or van who you gonna call? MAROONE!".

1997 | 2003

It is strange. I think Gund themselves paid for the naming rights. I KNOW someone will double check this. It's not like an "honorary" title. Similar to what Jacobs did. They are paying to have their name on the Arena and Ballpark. I'm almost positive.

Hmmm.. maybe National City is aligning themselves to purchase the Naming Rights to Gund when that contract expires. This could be the lead in to getting people used to saying "National City Rink at Gund Arena". Then it simply becomes "National City Arena" or "National City Center". I agree there is NO WAY the company buying naming rights will want "National City Rink at Coca-Cola Center" or whatever the new name may be.

Indians and Browns games on the radio or getting REDICULOUS as well. The "Cintas Uiform Report" is when they describe what teams are wearing for the Browns. Everything is sponsored.

The Indians have an "MCI call to the Bullpen" or whatever. These are just examples of what ads the game is filled with.

Ok I can understand naming a playing surface aafter a person

(example: Ed Jucker Court at Fifth Third Arena at the Shoemaker Center,home of Univ. of Cincinnati basketball. Named after legendary coach Ed Jucker, Fifth Third banks.) but playing at something like Tampax Field at the Ballpark is not right. If a naming rights deal is made it should be after the venue not the field. Leave the field to the People, not companies!

Signature intentionally left blank

Archived