Cards vs. Dodgers Ends On A Classy Note

STL FANATIC

I'm so pumped up right now. The Cards just finished off the Dodgers 3 games to 1 and we're going to the NLCS.

But what amazed me was the classiness of the Dodgers at the end of the game. They came out of the dugout as the Cards were celebrating on the field and shook hands or hugged and congratulated the Cardinals. It was almost NHL style, though they didn't line up.

I've never seen that in a baseball game before, and it was a really cool thing to watch.

Very classy on both teams parts, but especially the Dodgers for coming out and initiating it.

I was certainly taken by surprise and was truly impressed at this spontaneous act of good sportsmanship which certainly seems to get rarer every year. In light of the fact that the SoCal MLB scene has been marred by some very ugly player incidents in recent weeks, this was a very positive and uplifiting way to lower the curtain on the region's baseball year.

UPDATE: I've just finished reading an article about the handshake in the St. Louis Post Dispatch. Apparently, the idea was first brought up by Larry Walker a couple of weeks ago when the Cards last played out at Dodger Stadium. Walker, a Canadian, was apparently always enamored with the manner in which hockey teams closed out postseason series and suggested doing something like that in postseason, win or lose. LaRussa brought the idea up to Dodger manager Jim Tracy prior to the start of Game 1 of the series and then never mentioned it again. After last night's game, LaRussa approached Tracy with an outstretched hand and Tracy brought the whole team with him for the postgame shake. Nice story.

I wonder if this will happen at the end of the Red Sox vs. Yankees series? :D

They get together during the series, but not to shake hands.

Yeah, the BoSox will be giving the yankees Kleenexes.. :P

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

They get together during the series, but not to shake hands.

Yeah, the BoSox will be giving the yankees Kleenexes.. :P

Yeah and the Yankees will be giving the Sox ropes so they can hang themselves off the Green Monster in Bahhstan

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

I wonder if this will catch on

I truly hope so. A good show of sportsmanship like this should be used as an example. It proves that this is just a game and even die hard fans who feel crushed by such a loss shouldn't get so emotional.

Kudos to the Cards and Dodgers.

what's cool about this tradition is that two diehard rivals can go at it for seven games with outrageous intensity but at the end of every series there is a handshake, and no bad blood is lost, I think if the Red Sox and Yankees did this no matter what happened in the series it would be a classy move on both their parts, now is there a chance they will do it? , no friggin way, and even if they did you know people like pedro would not participate.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

Damn right it was Larry Walker!! :D

He seems like a nice guy, a class act; I am glad he is finally having some post-season success. It would be nice to see him win the World Series. As a side note, anyone know how many Canadian players have won the championship in the past??

He seems like a nice guy, a class act; I am glad he is finally having some post-season success. It would be nice to see him win the World Series. As a side note, anyone know how many Canadian players have won the championship in the past??

I can't think of any myself

I can only think of one - Randy Johnson

Randy Johnson is not Canadian; born September 10, 1963, Walnut Creek, CA, United States.

8QSKdCG.png

yeah, usually people who grew up in Canada are referred to as Canadians.:rolleyes:

I really like the handshake. It's shows sportsmanship and that even though they make tons of money, they are still just playing a game. It's just one more reason why the NHL and the Saint Louis Cardinals are the classiest league and the classiest team. The Braves are also a very classy team, despite Furcal's recent trouble, they've always had model citizens for players. And if a guy wasn't, he didn't spend a lot of time in a Braves jersey.

" I spit on yours shoes, took you out with a slide, pitched inside all night and yes I did say that about yo mama...wanna graba beer after the game?" :D

I guess each league has their own kind of respect afte rthe game. NHL has the handshake, very traditional, and hte skate witht he cup around the rink, which was started as a way for the players to share their victory with the fans.

NBA I've seen many players individually go over to each other and congratulate each otehr.

CFL I've seen them do a large group prayer at center field after games.

To be honest, since the Jays haven't been making the post season I don't want much of the playoffs, but it is good to hear about the good sportsmanship after the game, God knows it gets heated and personal enough during it that the guys can put that aside and congratulate each other for a good series once the dust settles

Archived