modification of the chargers powder blues?

IceCap

the chargers are selling this item in their online store:

http://store.chargers.com/product/index.js...oductId=1792650

its a powder blue jersey, but with yellow #s outlined in powder blue and yellow instead of white #s outlined in yellow. ive looked at old pictures from the chargers first years, and i dont remember seeing this jersey. the only powder blue jersesys the chargers have had are the throwbacks the use every year.

just like last year I was lookin for some, and a lot of the online catalogs showed the powder blues, but with no white stripe around the bolts on the shoulders.

i was wondering what those were. i was at river city sports in toronto, and they were carring some of those. i asked what they were, and all that the cashier could tell me was that it was a basterized version of the chargers throwbacks.

Yes before finally beating the Patriots in Fenway Park if I've heard correctly. Then again 51-10 (1963 AFL Championship)....17-6 (Game 3 2004 ALCS)...same difference.

Of course they then promptly lost twice in a row to the Bills. But in those unis we were IN 5 of the first 6 AFL championships. I say we as if I'm a fan of the team. They ARE my AFC team and my home team but I've been a Bucs fan since 87. Deal with that sorry beginning. No one will ever match it.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

SanDiego73.gif

what r u guys talkin about

the #s are different. the unis u showed have one outline. the jerseys chargers.com is selling have 2 outlines. also, the jeresy that is being sold is kellen winslow's jersey, who never wore any version of the powder blues during his carrer.

• 1 month later...

Okay, folks...what happens when an NFL team messes up their own throwbacks???

I went to the Denver/Chargers game 2 weeks ago. The Charger's Team Store was selling these "Winslow" jerseys. But the problem is, they never wore these jerseys.

When the Chargers went to the numeral off-set-outline (like they have now), it was after going to the royal blue, then navy. Collegiate blue was never incorporated with the same numeral look they have now.

I agree that it is a bastardized version, I just expect that kind of screw-up on Ebay; no being sold by the team itself!

That said, GO CHARGERS!

The worst part is that these Chargers throwbacks aren't even the correct color.

The throwbacks use this color scheme:

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS COLLEGIATE BLUE

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS YELLOW

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS BLACK

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS GRAY FACEMASK

...while the actual colors were closer to this:

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS COLLEGIATE BLUE

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS YELLOW

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS BLACK

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS GRAY FACEMASK

Close, but no cigar.

Yeah, when people see the word "throwback", they go nuts.

And it's true. People love to buy em, even though some of those things are extemely INNACURATE throwbacks. It's just one of those things that just nip at me. I mean, the throwback looks good, but it looks ugly at the same time because it looks like someone just taped the letters and numbers onto it. <_< And this is one of those, with the innacurate colors.

I just got a hold of a bunch of official NFL uniform information from 1972, and you wouldn't believe how different some of this stuff looks from what we all "think" it looked like.

The actual Chargers' "Collegiate Blue" is completely different than what they're wearing as throwback jerseys.

I really drives me nuts, because the Chargers have been "my" team for some 25 years. When I see junk being sold as "official", it's irratating. Messing up "my" team's history is insulting and offending.

Does the team not know that long-time fans will immediately say, "uh..that's wrong?"

Whatever. To me, this is so off (and Pantone, you're absoultely right...the blue AND gold are both many shades off)....I would consider the Seahawks's lime-green fakes over this.

Part of the problem with some of this stuff, is that prior to 1980 or so, NFL teams (and pretty much every other team in every sport) weren't using Pantones to define their color sets. This 1972 info just has color chips - manufacturers were supposed to match up the print colors and fabrics by sight. Not very condusive to accurate color-matching.

Wait'l you see what the actual Oilers' Columbia Blue REALLY was in those days...

I really drives me nuts, because the Chargers have been "my" team for some 25 years. When I see junk being sold as "official", it's irratating. Messing up "my" team's history is insulting and offending.

Does the team not know that long-time fans will immediately say, "uh..that's wrong?"

Whatever. To me, this is so off (and Pantone, you're absoultely right...the blue AND gold are both many shades off)....I would consider the Seahawks's lime-green fakes over this.

actually i think pro franchises think that the fans have the iq of their own shoe size so they think they can put a piece of crap together, call it a throw back and people will buy it. no questions asked. i guess they figure there not going to go broke any time soon underestimating the average person. i really do think pro franchises think that the fans are dumb as hell and will buy anything with a team logo on it.

when you look at the Raider fans, you see why. :D

ok ok, i'll leave the raiders alone.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

same here. execpt the 25 year part. im only 17 :D

Archived