DARTHMAN TRIVIA #1

DarthMan

In the entire game or in an inning?

Entire Game: 19 passed balls.

3 passed balls to score the run. 2 passed balls in each other inning placing the runner on third but not scoring.

I'll say 37.

The 19 mentioned previously, plus 18.

If every out of the game is a picked off runner at 3rd, then another two passed ball opportunities comes up per inning.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

In the entire game or in an inning?

Entire Game: 19 passed balls.

3 passed balls to score the run. 2 passed balls in each other inning placing the runner on third but not scoring.

I'll say 37.

The 19 mentioned previously, plus 18.

If every out of the game is a picked off runner at 3rd, then another two passed ball opportunities comes up per inning.

Didn't think of that one. Great point.

I was under the impression that a passed ball simply means that the pitcher throws to the catcher, who, because he never took the time to learn to catch a knuckle ball, allows it to get by him. Does a passed ball mean that a runner has to advance?

If that's the case, there could be an infinite number of passed balls, no?

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I was under the impression that a passed ball simply means that the pitcher throws to the catcher, who, because he never took the time to learn to catch a knuckle ball, allows it to get by him. Does a passed ball mean that a runner has to advance?

If that's the case, there could be an infinite number of passed balls, no?

I was under the same impression.

Now, assuming any potential runner advances on a passed ball, let me see...

3 passed balls and 2 passed strikes puts the number at 5 without a batter even leaving the box.

One more puts the runner on first, regardless of strike or ball, as the runner advances to first after striking out. 2 more passed balls to the next batter puts the runner on third, where he is picked off. That's 8 without only one out in the game.

I'm too lazy to follow this all the way through...

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I was under the impression that a passed ball simply means that the pitcher throws to the catcher, who, because he never took the time to learn to catch a knuckle ball, allows it to get by him.

Jason Varitek knows how to catch a knuckleball. It's just that Doug Mirabelli usually catches Tim Wakefield, so when Tek was catching Wake in the LCS he had to shake off a little rust.

If you think catching a knuckleball is easy, go ahead and try it. I'd bet you won't catch a one. <_<

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

that doesnt make any sense.

i would say the answer could be very high if not infinite, cuz if there is nobody on base, there could be 4 passed balls to walk him, then the next 2 batters there is 4 passed balls to walk them, then you could infinitly walk the runner in with passed ball walks, and so on and so forth.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Wild Pitches and Passed balls only count if a runner advances. A blocked pitch holding a runner is ruled...a ball, or a strike if the batter swings. Not a Wild pitch as it would if the runner did advance.

Knuckleballs are hard to catch. Just as hard as they are to hit. We had a guy that could KINDA throw one in HS and I'd use a really old glove when I caught him. It was terrible if the pitch was even half working...let alone a major leaguer throwing them after catching 90 mph heat.

I'll throw out a crazy answer and say it would be infinite but is limited by the number of balls on hand for the game. How many balls are required to be provided for the game by the home team? There can be as many passed balls as possible until every ball in the stadium has bounced off the catcher's mitt and into the stands.

Please answer-

Your team loses a nine-inning game 1-0. Theoreticaly, how many passed balls can there be?

Inspired by Varitek in Gm. 5

Theoretically there could be zero. None. Nada. Zippo.

Delve into the possibilities of that theory. Theoretically, of course.

Just like listing all the possible official scoring ways there are for a player to reach first base in a game.

Yeah!

I was under the impression that a passed ball simply means that the pitcher throws to the catcher, who, because he never took the time to learn to catch a knuckle ball, allows it to get by him.

Jason Varitek knows how to catch a knuckleball. It's just that Doug Mirabelli usually catches Tim Wakefield, so when Tek was catching Wake in the LCS he had to shake off a little rust.

If you think catching a knuckleball is easy, go ahead and try it. I'd bet you won't catch a one. <_<

Your argument is interesting for two very important reasons.

The first is that I never mentioned Jason Varitek. I could have been talking about any major league, minor league, college, or little league catcher who cannot catch a knuckleball, yet you automatically assumed I was making a direct attack on Jason Varitek. Whoops! You lose, because you said for me what I didn't have to.

The second reason is that you decided to go ad hominem on me. I never stated that I think catching a knuckleball is easy. I also never said that I could catch a knuckleball, did I? But then again, I don't go around pretending to be a Major League catcher, now do I? I don't care if it's hard to catch a knuckleball or not (I'm sure it is), but I think that if it is, then extra innings of a Major League playoff game against the team yours has feared and hated for almost 90 years is not the right time to start learning.

That is all. Sorry to hijack this thread, but when I am personally attacked in a public forum, I'm going to respond in a public forum.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

The first is that I never mentioned Jason Varitek. I could have been talking about any major league, minor league, college, or little league catcher who cannot catch a knuckleball, yet you automatically assumed I was making a direct attack on Jason Varitek. Whoops! You lose, because you said for me what I didn't have to.

The second reason is that you decided to go ad hominem on me. I never stated that I think catching a knuckleball is easy. I also never said that I could catch a knuckleball, did I? But then again, I don't go around pretending to be a Major League catcher, now do I? I don't care if it's hard to catch a knuckleball or not (I'm sure it is), but I think that if it is, then extra innings of a Major League playoff game against the team yours has feared and hated for almost 90 years is not the right time to start learning.

That is all. Sorry to hijack this thread, but when I am personally attacked in a public forum, I'm going to respond in a public forum.

Being publically attacked in a personal forum is also very hard to take. I imagine that all began when they started to put sinners in public square stockades and had them hamng their heads and hands through those little holes.

I'd say that was the forerunner to internet forums and that's where I feel your pain.

I think the answer is 66.

For 8 innings, it'd go like this.

Batter A reaches first.

PB - 2nd, PB - 3rd

A is gunned down at plate on FC, batter B on first.

PB - 2nd, PB - 3rd

B is gunned down at plate on FC, batter C on first.

PB - 2nd, PB - 3rd

Walk, D on first. PB, D - 2nd.

That's seven per inning, so 56.

In the ninth, we'd see the following scenario.

A reaches first.

PB - 2nd, PB - 3rd, PB - Home

B reaches first.

PB - 2nd, PB - 3rd

B is gunned down at plate on FC, batter C on first.

PB - 2nd, PB - 3rd

C is gunned down at plate on FC, batter D on first.

PB - 2nd, PB - 3rd

Walk, E on first. PB, E - 2nd.

Ten in that inning, for a total of 66.

LvZYtbZ.png

Eh, either way, I assumed you meant Jason Varitek as well, and I'm sure anyone else who saw that particular inning in that particular game thought that same thing. It was an obvious poke at Jason Varitek, but either way, who cares.

Now, a past ball isn't limited to knuckle balls, rather ANY kind of pitch that gets by the catcher and allows the Boston Red Sox to advance a base. Watching the ALCS, it happens often. :P

*Yes, that was a poke at the amount of times Posada allowed the ball to go past him in that particular series. Atleast in the first few games. ^_^

IUe6Hvh.png

ok, here's my official answer...

batter strikes out, reaches on PB

PB to 2nd

PB to 3rd

steals home... OUT!

repeat x2

9x 9...

81!

any more debate? i'll reconsider

"We have nothing to fear except fear itself."

Archived