New Courts

JamesCraven

The Phoenix Suns unveiled a new court design tonight (11/3) at their home opener against the Atlanta (Like we want to be moving to Kansas City) Hawks. Only the key area where the 16-foot lane is made up (the two 2-foot wide borders) at each end of the court was painted orange. Everything else was plain with two different shades of stain to differentiate the three-point arc area (like Seattle) and at each end, the Suns' web site [http://www.suns.com] was located. The striping was purple, and the teams' alternate "PHX" logo was used at center court. It eerilly looked like Indiana's floor at Assembly Hall...and NC State's court at RBC Center.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

The Phoenix Suns unveiled a new court design tonight (11/3) at their home opener against the Atlanta (Like we want to be moving to Kansas City) Hawks. Only the key area where the 16-foot lane is made up (the two 2-foot wide borders) at each end of the court was painted orange. Everything else was plain with two different shades of stain to differentiate the three-point arc area (like Seattle) and at each end, the Suns' web site [http://ww.suns.com] was located. The striping was purple, and the teams' alternate "PHX" logo was used at center court. It eerilly looked like Indiana's floor at Assembly Hall...and NC State's court at RBC Center.

I noticed that.

Golden State Warriors have a new court design in Oakland. The alternate W behind a basketball takes up a good portion of center court. GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS is in white instead of burnt orange along each baseline. The key is yellow, I think it used to be orange.

Dallas Mavericks have a 25th anniversary logo between center court and the top of the 3-point arc close to the sideline. It's an amalgamation of the old maverick hat on top of the current M behind a blue basketball.

The Palace used to put DETROIT PISTONS along the baseline right under the hoop stantion. Now it's more like DETROIT PISTONS, with the hoop stantion in the gap between the words.

Any others you folks noticed?

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

• 1 month later...

I saw the new courts topic, and decided to bring this one back from oblivion.

The Mavericks' logo that I reported seeing on opening night on the American Airlines Center court doesn't appear to be there anymore, so maybe it was just there for one night.

You can break down court changes to three categories.

1) New court due to expansion: Charlotte

2) New court due to uniform change: Memphis, Utah

3) No expansion or uniform change, just felt like changing the court: Phoenix, Golden State, Detroit, Atlanta

And is the FleetCenter ever going to become the Bank of America Center?

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I saw the new courts topic, and decided to bring this one back from oblivion.

The Mavericks' logo that I reported seeing on opening night on the American Airlines Center court doesn't appear to be there anymore, so maybe it was just there for one night.

You can break down court changes to three categories.

1) New court due to expansion: Charlotte

2) New court due to uniform change: Memphis, Utah

3) No expansion or uniform change, just felt like changing the court: Phoenix, Golden State, Detroit, Atlanta

And is the FleetCenter ever going to become the Bank of America Center?

Bank of America was in negotiations with Delaware North (owner of the Fleetcenter) regarding a naming change. However, the orginal naming rights deal included the provision for one name change. Shawmut Bank was the original naming rights winner when it was bought out by Fleet just prior to the opening of the building. That was the one name change allowed under the deal.

Bank of America was debating whether or not to work out a deal to either put it's name on the building or to call it something else (and yes the name Boston Garden has been discussed). However, to call it the Boston Garden has been said to devalue the naming rights deal and as of now, Bank of America will not be making a deal for the naming rights.

Other local companies have been mentioned in doing a deal, including Gillette, Reebok and CVS....

patriotssignature.png

Beantown, as far as who would buy the naming rights, I would seriously doubt that Gillette would put their name on a second facility in the region, as they have a deal with the Pats for their home, Gillette Stadium. And I doubt about reebok putting their name on an arena at all, even though they will supply the tennants and their opposition of that building because of their deals with the NHL via their buyout of The Hockey Company (i. e. CCM, Koho and Jofa) and the NBA.

When First Union bought CoreStates, the CoreStates Center became the First Union Center. A few of us even went as far because of the initials of the company to name it "The Obscenity Center." When Wachovia ate up First Union, the name was changed to the Wachovia Center. There were no clauses in the contracts at all, so when one name changed, they just went out and bought new signs.

Bank of America merged with Fleet, so it just wouldn't surprise me if that clause gets rewritten between themselves and DelNorth, and the FleetCenter becomes the Bank of America Garden once the hockey season - if there is one - starts. It's just business.

Bank of America has been mentioned in a few articles in the Boston area to sell the naming rights to another company. The idea of calling this new building the "Garden" did not go over well with investors and the public...it's not the "new garden"; it's a newer cookie-cutter arena.

Some of the possible new owners of the naming rights include Gillette, Reebok, and CVS Pharmacy. It is highly unlikely Gillette will go forth with this, as the company is very satisfied with the other athletic facility under its name, Gillette Stadium, home of the 2-time Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots.

I don't know about Reebok. Reebok will have its name and logo on hockey uniforms & equipment when the NHL comes back, and currently has rights to most (if not all) NBA uniforms. I believe there already is a Reebok Stadium over in England.

CVS does not have naming rights to any arena. I do think they sponsor a basketball court at the new arena on the campus of the University of Rhode Island.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

reebok took over exclusive rights to NBA uniforms this season in case you haven't heard.

When Wachovia ate up First Union, the name was changed to the Wachovia Center.

Actually, F.U. ate up Wachovia. They just changed their name to Wachovia.

Sorry to be off topic.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived