Great College Football Rivalries

JamesCraven

Yes, it's "Rivalry Week" in college football, and the question is:

"What game is the biggest rivalry in college football?"

Please submit your responses.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Well, I would say it's between two -- one being Army/Navy. They may not be the best played games between the best teams, but it's Army vs. Navy -- that alone makes it a great rivalry. I just wish they were both teams that were fighting for spots in bowl games every year.

And then the other, which gets my vote, being Ohio State/Michigan. Oldest rivalry I believe. Last year was the 100th year, correct? Usually both teams are good and playing for bowl spots, even BCS spots and if one isn't, it's a great chance to complete their season by ruining the others' BCS hopes.

IUe6Hvh.png

People DO care about Harvard/Yale. A rivalry so big and traditional, it doesn't need a title. Simply known as, "The Game".

Of course, there's always "The Biggest Little Game in America", between Amherst & Williams. Commencing in 1884, it is the oldest played football game in Division 3.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Harvard/Yale have been playing since 1876.

And boy am I tired. [rimshot]

This week is the Missouri - Kansas game, a/k/a the Disappointment Bowl. I believe this is the oldest continuing annual game west of the Mississippi River. In any event, the team that isn't supposed to win usually does. Of course this year there's a strong argument that neither team is supposed to win given the fact that Mizzou's playing much worse than expected and Kansas is playing a little better than expected, hence a pretty evenly matched game.

Harvard/Yale have been playing since 1876.

And boy am I tired. [rimshot]

This week is the Missouri - Kansas game, a/k/a the Disappointment Bowl. I believe this is the oldest continuing annual game west of the Mississippi River. In any event, the team that isn't supposed to win usually does. Of course this year there's a strong argument that neither team is supposed to win given the fact that Mizzou's playing much worse than expected and Kansas is playing a little better than expected, hence a pretty evenly matched game.

Just don't call it "The Border War" :cursing: Lew Perkins!

About the only thing riding on this game this year is the fact that Mizzou still has bowl hopes and can technically still win the North. A loss takes both away from them. It is the oldest continuous rivalry west of the Mississippi and 2nd oldest in the country (DI-A). KU is actually a slightly better team than their record indicates, because if you change one play in each game (except OU), the team is in the top 10 or 15 at 9-1. Apparently, Gary Pinkel is fighting for the worst coach in football award, because he and his staff has butchered this entire season, starting with the fact that he's trying to turn Brad Smith into an NFL prospect by making him a pocket passer, and that's failed miserably. He benched his starting tailback because he questioned play calling after the OK State game, and took off Tony Temple's redshirt for 6 carries and 12 yards before he injured his Achilles'. Oh by the way, the Tigers have lost, I believe, 4 games this year where they've had a double-digit lead, the list goes on.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Sadly, I find myself in complete agreement with a Jayhawk fan.

Hey, I speak the truth, what can I say? :D

You can always do what we do, wait for basketball season...oh wait... :P

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Of course, I could add the cliched line "You can throw out the records when [TEAM A] and [TEAM B] meet."

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Ah, the Apple Cup. The Huskies are so bad this year, but someway Wazzu will Coug it on their hometurf. Can we bring back Kegel to recreate the last Cup in Martin.

Can't forget win numero six

43_WRCoryWilliams.JPG

SNOW! SNOW! SNOW!

Williams1-112302-lg.jpg

what have you done for me lately

Yes you can post all the pictures you want.

Some stats for you:

3 10 win seasons despite being 0-3 in those Apple Cups

2 Rose Bowl trips in the last 7 years

Consistently ranked in the top 25 the past 3 seasons

One of the longest current streaks in the nation in not being shutout. Yours got snapped this year.

0 NCAA violations in the last 10 years

0 years on probation

2 head coaches in the same amount of time that you will have 5

You can have your Apple Cup wins. I'll take the superior team. :D

Alas, one of the longest and best college football rivalries -- the University of North Dakota vs. North Dakota State -- had its last game last year. UND refused to play NDSU when NDSU went Division I-AA this year.

It's too bad. That rivalry had one of the coolest trophies, the Nickel Trophy. It's a huge Indian-buffalo trophy since UND is the Sioux and NDSU is the Bison.

I realize this isn't one of the most well-known rivalries such as Michigan-Ohio State, Alabama-Auburn or Texas-Texas A&M, and others. But it was one of the hottest of rivalries. Hopefully, common sense will prevail and the Sioux and Bison will again play for the Nickel Trophy.

Two Rose Bowls, but no wins. All you got to show is the Holiday, but hey the UW couldn't even snag one of those.

How long do you think Doba's going to be around, not that he's a bad coach, but I see him handing the reigns off to someone on the staff in the next few years.

Stupid, stupid Billy Joe

The head coach fiasco is all Hedges fault, she could never take the blame and then signing Gilby to a contract was just stupid. I mean Gilby's a nice guy, he just not a good head coach. I know our new pres and AD want to make a splash, I see them making a run at Tedford, but I don't think he's going to come to Seattle. Wouldn't mind Boise State' coach, Hawkins, as a consolation.

If the Cougs don't pick off at least three Paus passes, I'd be suprised.

Worst.season.ever. At least there's basketball

Archived