ECHL Sarasota is now...

Geoff

the Gulf Coast Swords.

GulfCoastSwords.jpg

Newest ECHL Team Is Gulf Coast Swords

Newest ECHL Team Is Gulf Coast Swords

November 17, 2004

LAKEWOOD RANCH, Fla. ? DVA Sports has announced that the ECHL team scheduled to begin play in 2005-06 will be named the Gulf Coast Swords.

The team name and logo were unveiled at a press conference held at the Lakewood Ranch Golf and Country Club on Tuesday.

The logo has ?Swords? in red letters outlined in black with a black swordfish jumping behind the letters, the tail extending below and the head extending above the letters.

The Swords will play in a $70 million, 7,400-seat facility being built on a 60-acre tract in the northwest quadrant of Lakewood Ranch, located on Florida's west coast between Bradenton and Sarasota.

The team name was submitted by 10-year-old Mitchell Hudson of Bradenton and was chosen from the more than 3,000 entries received in a ?Name The Team? contest held in September.

The Swords are the ECHL membership that played in Columbus, Ga. from 2002-04 and in Norfolk, Va. from 1989-2000. In April 2004, the ECHL Board of Governors approved a Voluntary Suspension Request and a Transfer of Home Territory request from the membership, allowing it to relocate to Florida.

DVA Sports is owned by Sal Diaz-Verson, considered one of America?s richest Hispanics and credited with building AFLAC Incorporated from a $45 million company to an $8 billion company before his departure. AFLAC is worth more than $45 billion today.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I'm surprised that he didn't call them the DUCKS because he made AFLAC!

* ducks rotten eggs and veggies at once *

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

I'm surprised that he didn't call them the DUCKS because he made AFLAC!

*rolls a land-mine attached to a bowling ball, with a mean hook*

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

The logo is simple, yet nice. I too like the name swordfish, but the 'one - sylabol' name will do. Team colors are boring, everyother new team is red & black, ie the Huntsville Havoc to name one. I look forward to seeing their jerseys, if EZstreeter or Pittunited hasn't already made on up. :P

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Sean Connery: I'll take S-Words for $200 Alex

Alex Trebek: That's "swords" Mr. Connery

I believe it goes the other way around:

Connery calls it Swords...

Just like "The Pen Is Mightier"

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

"I'm surprised that he didn't call them the DUCKS because he made AFLAC!"

"I don't get it."

AFLAC's mascot is a duck. He says "AFLAC."

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

The logo's nice. However, I think it's about time to rename the league, seeing as how they now have teams as far west as the west coast and Alaska.

They did change the name. It's not the East Coast Hockey League anymore, it's the ECHL. See the difference? ^_^

"I'm surprised that he didn't call them the DUCKS because he made AFLAC!"

"I don't get it."

AFLAC's mascot is a duck. He says "AFLAC."

I know that. I was just wondering you brought up ducks? :)

Ah yes, the ECHL. Used to be known as the Extremely Crappy Hockey League, no? :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Whenever I think of sports teams with the name Gulf Coast, I always think of Mobile or Biloxi. I never really think of Sarasota/Bradenton as Gulf Coast even though they are on the Gulf Coast. I like the name Swords although I dont picture a swordfish for a team with the name. :D

Ah Nothing like doing this at school! Ive got extra time at school since we are doing exams!

Signature intentionally left blank

The logo's nice. However, I think it's about time to rename the league, seeing as how they now have teams as far west as the west coast and Alaska.

They did. That changed from East Coast Hockey League (ECHL) to just ECHL.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

The logo's nice.  However, I think it's about time to rename the league, seeing as how they now have teams as far west as the west coast and Alaska.

They did. That changed from East Coast Hockey League (ECHL) to just ECHL.

I already said that! :evil:

I have ADHD. If I had read down I probably forgotten what I was going to say so I posted it then. Sorry.

I have ADHD too. Strattera every day.

We should get together and discuss the ramifications and realizations this has on peopl...HEY! That dog has a puffy tail! :lol:

Archived