NASCAR looking at K.C. for Hall of Fame.

Ez Street

Kansas City ? along with three other areas with a richer racing history ? has been singled out by NASCAR as a possible home to a hall of fame for the stock-car racing organization.

Jeff Boerger, president of Kansas Speedway, said Wednesday that he has received from NASCAR a request for a proposal to build a hall of fame facility. He said he has forwarded that request to various Kansas governmental agencies.

Boerger said his hope is that a regional effort will be undertaken to convince NASCAR that Kansas City, Kan., would be a good site for the hall.

He said attracting the hall would be ?a leap in status? for the Kansas City area.

Boerger said he doubts the project would be built at the speedway. But, he said, the Village West commercial district, which has sprung up around the speedway, would be an ideal location for such a project.

?It has been such a success? Boerger said of Village West, which is home to such retail stores as Nebraska Furniture Mart and Cabela's. ?What better way to attract more people to the area??

Mayor Carol Marinovich of the Unified Government of Wyandotte County, who was sent the request Wednesday but had not yet studied it, said the idea of building the NASCAR hall at Village West is a good one.

?I think it's very interesting,? she said. ?It deserves a careful look.?

NASCAR also sent the request to Daytona Beach, Fla.; Charlotte, N.C.; and Atlanta, all of which have big speedways and longstanding racing traditions. But Boerger still thinks the hall of fame could wind up in the Midwest.

?It would be tough to get the hall (built on a site) outside of the Southeast, but with our fan base, I think we can be very competitive? when it comes to an attempt at bringing the project to Kansas, Boerger said.

Marinovich said that when she talked to racing officials during the NASCAR weekend at Kansas Speedway in October, she expressed the idea that the central location of Kansas City, Kan., would be perfect as the site for the hall.

Mark Dyer, NASCAR's vice president of licensing, said the four cities under consideration would have five months to respond to the request. There are two other racing halls of fame in this country ? one outside of Talladega Superspeedway in Alabama, and one outside of the track in Darlington, S.C.

Neither of those is considered an official NASCAR hall of fame.

The one that may end up in Kansas would be.

Boerger said NASCAR has been vague about facility size and other specifics. He did say it was his impression that the facility would be designed to rival the pro football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, and the baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y.

Dyer said: ?We're looking at the long haul with this project. We want a hall that is successful and sustainable on a long-term basis.?

If Kansas is selected to be host of the hall, a method for funding it will need to be found.

Marinovich said Wednesday that it was too early to discuss the specifics of funding.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Living 5 minutes from Lowes Motor Speedway and about 25 from Mooresville, I can tell you NO WAY will Kansas City get the Hall of Fame. It makes absolutely no sense.

KC has no history or tradition as afar as NASCAR goes.

Charlotte holds 3 races a year. The All-Star race and the Coca-Cola 600 are two of the biggest races each year and also take place over a 2 week period. When you throw in the fact that 90% of the teams have a garage within 40 miles of Charlotte it seems to be a no-brainer. Take in a race, see the museum, check out the garages, have a good week. This region Charlotte, is the center of the NASCAR racing world, is expanding rapidly, and has money to throw at a venture like that. Look at all the money they are spending to keep The Winston.

Daytona would be the next logical place. Daytona 500, Pepsi 400, Biker Week, Spring Break, Beaches. All things that bring 100's of thousands of people for several diferent weeks. And the France's live there, and if nothing else they like to keep all their investments close to home.

KC, just can't see what the attraction would be for NASCAR there. Just my thoughts, not trying to down KC or anything like that.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

I agree with what you say.

I live about 45-50 minutes away from Kansas Speedway, I'd like to see the HoF there just because it would be another plus for my state. But seriously I NEVER see this happening. Mostly for the reasons you stated.

Kansas would make sense because it's in the middle of the country. But I think they would attract more in Daytona. Who knows for sure.

i second Joe's reasons.

since i work (somewhat) in the industry, i know our area will work real hard to make it happen in NC.

the main factor for Daytona would be the close connections to International Speedway Corp (the France family's group) vs Speedway Motorsports Inc (Bruton Smith's group). they'll be BIG money thrown around to land this prized-feather in their caps.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Charlotte holds 3 races a year. The All-Star race and the Coca-Cola 600 are two of the biggest races each year and also take place over a 2 week period. When you throw in the fact that 90% of the teams have a garage within 40 miles of Charlotte it seems to be a no-brainer. Take in a race, see the museum, check out the garages, have a good week. This region Charlotte, is the center of the NASCAR racing world, is expanding rapidly, and has money to throw at a venture like that. Look at all the money they are spending to keep The Winston.

Daytona would be the next logical place. Daytona 500, Pepsi 400, Biker Week, Spring Break, Beaches. All things that bring 100's of thousands of people for several diferent weeks. And the France's live there, and if nothing else they like to keep all their investments close to home.

I agree with either Charlotte or Daytona, for the fact that these places have racing history, not like Kansas City. Look at most of the other cities that HOF's are in, they all have something historicalto do with the sport that is located there.

Mark my words...NO WAY KC GETS THE HOF!

i second Joe's reasons.

since i work (somewhat) in the industry, i know our area will work real hard to make it happen in NC.

the main factor for Daytona would be the close connections to International Speedway Corp (the France family's group) vs Speedway Motorsports Inc (Bruton Smith's group). they'll be BIG money thrown around to land this prized-feather in their caps.

Yeah, I think the France vs. Smith ordeal will push Daytona to the front. The last thing the France's want is another moneymaker in a Smith market, especially after all the Texas legal matters.

The fact that the ISC owns Kansas makes it a viable option. Because it would put another money making entity in a France market. If they view Daytona as saturated, who knows. Crazier things have happened.

But from a historical standpoint, it should definitely be Daytona or Charlotte.

semperfi.gif

KC not strong on NASCAR history, but Kansas is big for Racing. Just thought I'd point that out. There are a lot of Race Fans of all sorts here in Kansas.

You really must live in Charlotte for a few weeks..it'll open your eyes.

Now, Kansas City doesn't get the NASCAR HoF for two reasons..

A) While being in the middle of country, it's not in the middle of NASCAR Country

B) Because NASCAR has only been racing in Kansas for a few years..well in Grand National/Winston Cup/Nextel Cup speaking..

And another bonus reason: Because the International Racing HoF is in Talladega, Alabama I believe.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

But think about it...if the HOF ends up in the midwest...the racing fan base just might expand...and that's important.

Well heck, they need to put a Hockey HOF in Mississippi or something so it will expand the fan base :D

But think about it...if the HOF ends up in the midwest...the racing fan base just might expand...and that's important.

Has Rock-n-Roll expanded in Cleveland?

semperfi.gif

Living 5 minutes from Lowes Motor Speedway and about 25 from Mooresville, I can tell you NO WAY will Kansas City get the Hall of Fame. It makes absolutely no sense.

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

I think we've got ourselves a winner, only because of two reasons:

1) It's for NASCAR and,

2) The France family will want to have it at one of their own facilities. Therefore, it makes sense to have it Daytona.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I read an article today talking about Atlanta makign a big push. The ATL is the corporate home to many of the largest sponsors of Nascar. Atlanta has built-in tourists with money and desire to see it. Atl is centrally located in the SE, where racing is the biggest.

I think Charlotte makes some sence, but its hard to bet against the huge corporate money and sponsorship that atlanta will have.

I also think that the huge numbers of people who stream through atlanta compared to charlotte or daytona will give the ATL an edge.

You guys who want to visit the Nascar HOF can come stay with me. I live 30 minutes from where they would build it. :)

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived