Washington football concept

puckcool22

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WHy not just go back to the spear and change the name (if you must) to Warriors?

i personally think warriors is the best name they could use...

and i wouldn't even change logos or uniforms at all. just the name. they've got GREAT uniforms... just a racist name.

ironically, Dan Snyder (The Redskins owner) already has bought the rights to a new Washington arena football team (with his spare change) and in fact, the new AFL team will be named the "Warriors"... They're just having problems getting open dates for MCI center, which has been booked up.

Anyway, I think it would be a great contest on this board to come up w/ a logo. You KNOW I will B)

seriously? you didn't receive my comments? welllll, I'll post em publicly then... as I wanted to do originally, but couldn't as it was a "poll"

mexico / new zealand logos and uniforms...

outstanding, both of them. I really love the mexican pattern , just needs alittle more contrast on the helmet w/ the eagle. The logo for the NZ team is very sharp / original... personally I would experiment w/ putting a couple of more of those iron leaf shapes on the helmet , sorta like cincinatti bengalsish... but not as many... just to see... it may be perfect like it is, but I always push things to the hilt. anywayyyyy, great job.

~C

(Portugal / Greece) : Wow, Those logos and uniforms are beautiful / clasic, and very professional... the ONLY thing I'd do differently is make both teams primary colors darker (especially Greece's logo) I'm Greek, and I can tell you that the "official" flag varies from light to dark blue. However, DARKer blue is more footballish, and nicer anyway, but LEAVE the LOGO light blue, so the emblem stands out on the helmet and such... it would be an outstanding contrast...

this should absolutely be the logo used if Greece ever has an official NFLE team... Great work on both though.

~C

seriously? you didn't receive my comments? welllll, I'll post em publicly then... as I wanted to do originally, but couldn't as it was a "poll"

outstanding, both of them. I really love the mexican pattern , just needs alittle more contrast on the helmet w/ the eagle. The logo for the NZ team is very sharp / original... personally I would experiment w/ putting a couple of more of those iron leaf shapes on the helmet , sorta like cincinatti bengalsish... but not as many... just to see... it may be perfect like it is, but I always push things to the hilt. anywayyyyy, great job.

~C

(Portugal / Greece) : Wow, Those logos and uniforms are beautiful / clasic, and very professional... the ONLY thing I'd do differently is make both teams primary colors darker (especially Greece's logo) I'm Greek, and I can tell you that the "official" flag varies from light to dark blue. However, DARKer blue is more footballish, and nicer anyway, but LEAVE the LOGO light blue, so the emblem stands out on the helmet and such... it would be an outstanding contrast...

this should absolutely be the logo used if Greece ever has an official NFLE team... Great work on both though.

~C

uh oh

I have no problem using a native american reference for sports teams, but the word redskins is rediculous.  It refers to the bloody scalp people used to bring back and give to the government, who would them pay them for killing an indian.  I think something like the word natives should be used instead.  Feel free to comment on the name issue, but please also say what you think of this concept.

Or, maybe, it's referring to the unique skin color of many Native Americans?

Even still, you wouldn't honor Asians by calling them the Yellowskins, would you?

Last I checked, my skin was a dark brown, not red. Although I'm getting that way from reading this.

If you're implying that I'm a racist, you're reading too much into what I said. Forgive me for not being hypersensitive in my first post.

I'm not saying that the name Redskins is necessarily honorable, I'm saying that as far as I've known in the past, it was referring to the (obviously exaggerated) skin tone of many native peoples, not the process of government-sponsored murder for hire.

OMMF,

I think you jumped on Schmee way to quick. When I read his post I thought he was questioning the origin of the name not making a statement of fact about Native American skin tone.

I am a Native American (Cherokee Tribe). I have always been under the impression that the name comes from the skin tone of some Native American Tribes and not from the origin given by Puckcool. It's a fact that many people who are of certain Native Bloodlines have a very distinct Reddish-Brown Hue to their skin. I, like Schmee do not necessarily condone the name Redskins, but let's not crucify Schmee for asking a legitimate question about the origin of the name.

Although I will also freely admit that as a person of Cherokee decent, I DO NOT find any of the Sports Names or Logos offensive.

That's great if you don't. Honestly I don't much either. And to be fair, I never called him a racist and have seen many more reports that support his claim than the other.

But...

If you read, his original post (and this, I'm sure, will be called overanalysis)

Why would the team suddenly switch to a hateful, violent name that belittles Native culture?

I read this as, its bad for the reason puckcool suggested, but as for the more prevalent reason, it's ok.

I don't hold anything against Shmee as there is nothing to suggest he is a racist. The implication of his statement through me a bit though.

Anyway, to keep this thread open, i'm posting this here and also copying it to the PC thread as SyPhi requested. If we wish to continue this, I will be there to do so.

outstanding, both of them. I really love the mexican pattern , just needs alittle more contrast on the helmet w/ the eagle. The logo for the NZ team is very sharp / original... personally I would experiment w/ putting a couple of more of those iron leaf shapes on the helmet , sorta like cincinatti bengalsish... but not as many... just to see... it may be perfect like it is, but I always push things to the hilt.  anywayyyyy, great job.

~C

~C

uh oh

I'm sure PL will figure out a way to re-introduce the Nats "final" incarnation yet again in this thread. I was amazed to find that 3 of his "Washington Nationals Independent Logo" threads have all been relegated to the Graveyard in the last 2-3 weeks.

metslogo_215.gif

outstanding, both of them. I really love the mexican pattern , just needs alittle more contrast on the helmet w/ the eagle. The logo for the NZ team is very sharp / original... personally I would experiment w/ putting a couple of more of those iron leaf shapes on the helmet , sorta like cincinatti bengalsish... but not as many... just to see... it may be perfect like it is, but I always push things to the hilt.   anywayyyyy, great job.

~C

~C

uh oh

I'm sure PL will figure out a way to re-introduce the Nats "final" incarnation yet again in this thread. I was amazed to find that 3 of his "Washington Nationals Independent Logo" threads have all been relegated to the Graveyard in the last 2-3 weeks.

well, when a guy doen't like to recieve comments they should simply do a poll such as ics does. when presented in such a way that prologo does, it tends to get turned into a graveyard thread as when he hates criticism, says we all have weak attitudes, are uninspiring and so on. thats why his threads get closed. first thing about design, you must learn to take criticism, otherwise you wont make it.

when he hates criticism, says we all have weak attitudes, are uninspiring and so on. thats why his threads get closed. first thing about design, you must learn to take criticism, otherwise you wont make it.

actually, I take constructive criticism very well ... justNOT CYNICISM ie: prime example: the WEAK attitude that says any individual outside of a company has "absolutely no chance" to sell a logo to the big guys of MLB, NHL,NFL,NBA.

You know in your heart that's just not true... although the odds are long, for you to say something like that is just downright un-American.

and I'm inspired tremendously by the artists on this site, some of which have EXTREMELY STRONG , experienced attitudes... which I respect and continue to learn from.

Think whatever you want Joshua. I have nothing against YOU personally...

~C

when he hates criticism, says we all have weak attitudes, are uninspiring and so on. thats why his threads get closed. first thing about design, you must learn to take criticism, otherwise you wont make it.

actually, I take constructive criticism very well ... justNOT CYNICISM ie: prime example: the WEAK attitude that says any individual outside of a company has "absolutely no chance" to sell a logo to the big guys of MLB, NHL,NFL,NBA.

You know in your heart that's just not true... although the odds are long, for you to say something like that is just downright un-American.

and I'm inspired tremendously by the artists on this site, some of which have EXTREMELY STRONG , experienced attitudes... which I respect and continue to learn from.

~C

sure ya dont

~C

There's quite a number of Canadian people rounabout these parts, so calling someone unamerican might not make some feel as bad about themselves as you're trying to do.

Back to the real topic here, are we going to see a version of this concept with a headdress type helmet logo? I think that'd add a lot.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

No offense man, but the name "Natives" has about as much bite as "fairies" and would never fly. I know the name Redskins or Indians for that matter might be frowned upon if unveiled today, but these are traditions for these teams and they have a great identity/uniform. Honestly from what I've heard, most native Americans who are polled say they don't mind, and that they are honored to be represented by teams. I think a lot of blowhard activists are just making it a bigger deal than it really is. So why don't we just keep the teams how they are with their great logos and call it a day.

No offense man, but the name "Natives" has about as much bite as "fairies" and would never fly. I know the name Redskins or Indians for that matter might be frowned upon if unveiled today, but these are traditions for these teams and they have a great identity/uniform. Honestly from what I've heard, most native Americans who are polled say they don't mind, and that they are honored to be represented by teams. I think a lot of blowhard activists are just making it a bigger deal than it really is. So why don't we just keep the teams how they are with their great logos and call it a day.

well, as i said, i've got a decent amount of native american heritage, and i find most "native" themed teams to be really cool and respectful...

that being said, redskins isn't one of those cool teams. the name is a racial insult...

for the record i really like washingtons uniforms, just wish they would actually wear their burgundy jerseys at home because I think they are the best looking uniforms they have

my high school even used to use their two stripe template

only things i dont like is i wish the helmet striping was the same as the pants and jersey stripes

also i still dislike the name redskins, but not enough to defy tradition. just that hbo special who said the redskin refered to dead indian's scalps made me think that was too horrible of a reference.

signature.gif

Saintsfan was the most accurate (to my knowledge), and his post is being overlooked.

The team is called the Redskins not because the owners were/are racist, not because that is the exagerated color of an American Indians skin, but because there was a tribe who painted their faces (and maybe bodies) an actual shade of red.

I can't give you any good source to say that my info is right and the other is wrong, but that is how I have always understood it.

And SyPhi, we can discuss this more privatley, but I really think we oughta just let this happen where it does. There's a lot of issues and topics intwined in the discussion, so I think it can fit just about anywhere.

Archived