San diego bluesharks and orlando blast

nitroseed

These are two logos I developed for a school project a few months ago. They are not intended to be NFL teams or part of any other league, but instead are just some concepts I came up with. I'd like to hear some feedback from you guys if you'd be kind enough to give it. I have uniforms to go with the San Diego team, but I need to fix the font on it before I post it. And just in case anyone asks, yes, these are original logos and do not exist in real life. Also, you can click on them directly (no copying and pasting the links).

San Diego Bluesharks

Orlando Blast

The concept behind the Bluesharks name is that San Diego is very famous for their zoo, and the blue shark is native to the San Diego coast.

For the Blast, I went on the fact that Orlando is an entertainment mecca (Universal Studios, Disney World, various theme parks and attractions). It's a play on words of the statement that Orlando is a "blast" to live in and visit.

Again, any feedback is welcome! Thanks guys!

Bravo!  Both excellent logos and wordmarks.  I'd love to see uniforms for each concept.  The Orlando Blast logo lends itself to a number of different uniform possibilities.  Great stuff.  Just great!

Nitroseed,

As everybody thus far has echoed...AWESOME work.  From production quality to colors and illustration...terrific.

I'm going to outlay some feedback and critique for you, since you asked.  Just keep in mind, the better a logo is, the easier it is to see weaknesses...so please don't take this as anything other than respectful.

The BLAST...very nice.  It's very Death Star going bang.  This logo has a lot of motion to it.  Lot's of kinetic possibilities for such a symmetrical layout...wicked cool.  I am thinking, that if anything....the wordmark could exaggerate that even further.

http://www.north18.com/images/blast.jpg

Please excuse the sloppy Photoshop abuse of your design...but carrying through that "blast radius" effect starting with the cross of the more traditional 'A' might be pretty cool.

The Bluesharks..I just love this one.  Really.  The custom workmark that echoes the shapes of the sharks body...it's great.  The little cleft of the tail that sharks have...sugar sweet detail.

My only suggestions or comments are small and annoying...but this is a collaberative atmosphere yes?  Nobody gets any better if we all just bow down to each other.  

1) The area where the torso meets the tail has a black( dark blue)  outline shape.  This shape tends to make the shark look more like it's folding as opposed to bending.  This is a tricky angle to render a shark from I know.  If you were to follow the physical logic of the tail we would actually be looking at the shark from nearer to his underbelly...as though it were swimming over us.

http://www.north18.com/images/bluesharks.jpg

2) Secondly color usage, and this is tricky.  There is no right or wrong but it does effect the outcome.  Are the colors being used to describe light and shadow?  Or are they being used locally?  Locally meaning to show the viewer that trees are brown and apples are red.  On the torso/body of the shark, the dark and light blues work locally...enhancing the twisting motion of the fish, but also letting us know top from bottom as fish are darker on top for camoflage.  But in the pectoral fin area, and around the eyes...the color would seem to be functioning as shadow.  Which is fine.  Color can do both..but sharks dont have deep set eyes so the shadow there takes on a bandit mask type feel.  The Pec fin shadows seem kind of for effect, not really bringing out any particular shape.

3) The gills, I think the direction the gills are going in contradicts the shape and direction of the rest of the shark's form.

OK, thats it.  I hope you found my thoughts constructive.  As I said, everything you've done here is top friggin notch.  Sometimes a fresh eye though can really be a benefit in the process.

In case my "underbelly" "twisting tail" garbage didnt make sense, I've thrown in an image of what I mean..

http://www.north18.com/images/bluesharks_2.jpg

Beautiful beautiful  work.  I can't wait to see more.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Wow, thanks guys for the overwhelming response!

Sterling, I especially appreciate the lengthy analysis. The point you made about the shark "folding"... I agree with you. I've been aware of this but haven't taken the time to sit down and fix it.

The odd thing about this species of shark is that the color stops halfway down its body. That's probably why in the logo, the perspective of looking at the underbelly is distorted. Here is a real-life photo of a blue shark to show you what I mean:

http://www.fishnz.co.nz/imagesfish/blue.jpg

Also, on the Blast wordmark, the right triangle was a point of annoyance for me in designing it. If I attached it to the T, it began resembling an F, and I don't think anyone would know what a BLASF is. I think your idea is doable and I may try it.

Oh, and just for reference, yes, I am a professional. I just graduated from college with a graphic design major, and I do use Illustrator. :)

Thanks again, guys, for all your input! I have some other logos I'll upload later, and I'll put up the uniform concept for the Bluesharks. I never made a uniform for the blast because I ended up not using it for my project.

Mmmm, very nice. :) Not sure I'm a fan of the Blast name, but it's a very slick logo. I also thought "Death Star" when I saw the explosion. And extra props for not making them the Bluesharkz. That's an angle of shark I've often considered the Dolphins should switch too, but then again, there'd probably be a revolt and the last thing I need is to be sat on by Larry Csonka.

Yes, both logos are better than the Bobcats, but both Charlotte Blast and Bluesharks would've gotten roasted if picked as a name, moreso than Bobcats has.

Congrats on the graduation nitro, and great job, can't wait to see more.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Mmmm, very nice. :) Not sure I'm a fan of the Blast name, but it's a very slick logo. I also thought "Death Star" when I saw the explosion. And extra props for not making them the Bluesharkz. That's an angle of shark I've often considered the Dolphins should switch too, but then again, there'd probably be a revolt and the last thing I need is to be sat on by Larry Csonka.

Yes, both logos are better than the Bobcats, but both Charlotte Blast and Bluesharks would've gotten roasted if picked as a name, moreso than Bobcats has.

Congrats on the graduation nitro, and great job, can't wait to see more.

Hah! Believe me, I had no intention of using those names for a team from Charlotte. I *do* have a logo for a concept I had for the Charlotte team, however... Check it out:

Charlotte Goldrush

A few things about this logo... The name comes from the fact that Charlotte was the site of the first major gold rush in America. (The University of N.C.-Charlotte actually has the 49ers as their mascot). Also... the mountains in the background... ORIGINALLY, this was part of that same school project that I did the Bluesharks and Blast for, only they were the Colorado Goldrush. I felt like the logo and name concept was strong enough to work for Charlotte as well, so I adapted it. There *are* mountains in the Charlotte area... granted, not *huge* ones, but hey, it's a start. I figured that if it was the site of a gold rush, there would have to be some mountains involved... maybe I'm wrong. If anyone has some ideas about what to replace the mountains with, I'd love to hear them! I feel like the wordmark could use some work too, so I may work on that in the future.

I'm thinking of doing an actual Bobcats concept in the near future, and if I do, I'll let you guys see it.

Thanks again for the input! :)

Again, thats great stuff seed.

I personally dig the two colors of gold, its fitting.

Where did you graduate from?  im working on my gd minor in st cloud state, in central mn.  The program is pretty weak, and im looking at finishing schools for year after next.  It looks like they taught you well my man.

Cant wait to see more stuff.

Yeah Nitro,

You are right about the Blast lettering.  For as much as my idea enhances the B and the A...it will be a big problem for the other letters.

Oh well.. just a thought.  Plus this isn't being used for anything right?

Maybe to work, it might have to be a different color than the lettering.

Can't wait to see the unis for the Blue Sharks.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

thats some sweeet work.

Only 1 critique if I may.. on the Blast logo.  Look at the cloud.  to the left and right of the football tip are 2 Orange tips to the "explosion" but where do they come from?? Or I should say where is their opposite tips?  It just does not look correct to me.  Because you have the Horizontal spikes coming off the ball at the 3 and 9 marks (like on a clock if the football tips are at 12/6) to me if the ball was a clock, you have 2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10,11.  The ball being 12 and 6.. there are 11.5 and 12.5--Am i making sense??

Awsome, fresh work!!!

Archived