Quick Question about Baseball

Alphabet Man

been watching some of the Marlins-Atlanta game.....

why is Florida abbreviated to FLA?

do they ever play day matches? cos every match i have watched it has been at night

i'll come up with a few more questions as well

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Because FLA is the three-letter abbreviation for Florida? I don't know.

They play day games but not as many as, say, the Cubs, because Miami during the daytime in the summer isn't always pleasant for a ballgame.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Because FLO is a woman?

Maybe it's because it's spelled FLoridA.

Others like this include CalGarY, WinniPeG, MonTreaL.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Even though this has nothing to do with anything... This Braves-Marlins game is freaking awesome. It's been a defensive struggle all the way, I'm lovin it :grin:

Its the proper 3 letter abriviation for Florida. All states have a 2 letter abrivation (used by the post office) and a three letter. Who uses the 3? Not sure but I believe someone does. Other examples would be IND, ILL, CAL, ARI, ARK, etc.

Weekday Day games have come back in a big way the last 10 years or so. The cubs still play a majority of day games because they didn't get lights til (I believe) '89. Before then it was all day games. Teams are doing it more because its the retro thing to do. It also appeals to familys more, but not familys that work. Its weird in a way. I understand the cubs doing it for tradition, but I'd imagine you get the biggest crowds with a 7:10 start after everyone is off work.

Weekday Day games have come back in a big way the last 10 years or so. The cubs still play a majority of day games because they didn't get lights til (I believe) '89. Before then it was all day games. Teams are doing it more because its the retro thing to do. It also appeals to familys more, but not familys that work. Its weird in a way. I understand the cubs doing it for tradition, but I'd imagine you get the biggest crowds with a 7:10 start after everyone is off work.

I believe the Cubs may only play a certain amount of night games a year (like 18 or so) because Wrigley is in a neighborhood. I believe the Cubs agreed to that in order to out the lights in.

there's another reason-being that Wrigley's smack in teh middle of a neighborhood instead of way out by its lonesome, the Cubs usually have to work out a deal to only play X number of night games (I believe it's 30 this year), though playoff games don't count towards this maximum.

a little bit of trivia-if the Cubs still didn't have lights, all their home games during the 89 NLCS would have been played at Busch. I'm not kidding.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

there's another reason-being that Wrigley's smack in teh middle of a neighborhood instead of way out by its lonesome, the Cubs usually have to work out a deal to only play X number of night games (I believe it's 38 this year), though playoff games don't count towards this maximum.

a little bit of trivia-if the Cubs still didn't have lights, all their home games during the 89 NLCS would have been played at Busch. I'm not kidding.

I think I remember hearing that. Would have been interesting that's for sure.

Speaking of '89, am I the only one that remembers Mark Grace's epic 17 pitch at bat? I remember that and I hate the cubs!

Even though this has nothing to do with anything... This Braves-Marlins game is freaking awesome. It's been a defensive struggle all the way, I'm lovin it :grin:

was it live? i thought it was a delay from yesterday or something, we only ever get the World series live and that is all weird as we get it at diffetrent times but i like Baseball (ever since watching the Aussie beat i think Japan in the Olympics and when i watched the whgole World Series that is why i like the Red Sox!)

was it live? i thought it was a delay from yesterday or something, we only ever get the World series live and that is all weird as we get it at diffetrent times but i like Baseball (ever since watching the Aussie beat i think Japan in the Olympics and when i watched the whgole World Series that is why i like the Red Sox!)

If it was at night and went 13 innings, and the Braves won? Then yeah, it was live.

If it was at night and went 13 innings, and the Braves won? Then yeah, it was live.

Last night's game was real exciting.

Alex Gonzalez was showing off his Gold Glove caliber self.

1997 | 2003

ok, usually we get them delayed... should have watched it all then...

Associated Press style, which is a style used by most newspapers, does not go by postal abbreviations but by what were known as common abbreviations for states. For example, in AP style, Florida is Fla. instead of FL. Or Minnesota is Minn. instead of MN. Or Arizona is Ariz. instead of AZ.

ok, what is the Red Sox owners name? last night we got a thing from a Boston radio station (WEEI i think it was called) who were talking and they asked him about Gilly and he sadi it was the dumbest story he has ever heard...i actually think he could make it in MLB, apparently his brothere hits it pretty far and well gilchrist can loft a heavy concrety ball on to the top of the WACA grand stand roof (about 50-80m) but then he has to stay for the Ashes

Archived