NLL expansion

youcan'tseeme

I love to watch lacrosse and about 1 month ago I heard that the NLL was talking about putting teams in New York City(MSG) and Hartford(Civic Centre). Then I also read in the sun that they where talking with groups in Montreal, edmonton and Winnipeg. does anyone have any update on expansion?

untitled-6.jpg

They've already tried New York and Montreal. Montreal only lasted one season.

I don't know if it is smart.

Edmonton would make a good NLL city though, despite what Stampman thinks ^_^

Hey, I'm up for another battle of Alberta...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Didn't the Saints play on Long Island?

Still, I don't know if they would draw any better in MSG.

Edmonton getting a team would not only be great for the league, but for Calgary's wallet as well. With the demise of the Vancouver Ravens, they have to travel a lot more ? I think their closest rival is Colorado.

Didn't the Saints play on Long Island?

Still, I don't know if they would draw any better in MSG.

Yes, they played at Nassau.

BUT

The owners of MSG contacted the NLL about putting a team in either of their arenas. The Mall in Hartford is their other arena. So it would be one or the other, not both.

And as for Edmonton, Jim Jennings the NLL's commish said, they will try and find a new owner for the Vancouver Ravens before they explore Rexall's option.

It would be nice to have the NLL in Winnipeg...but we gonna wait and see what the MTS Centre will do.. but still, that would be great to have a Winnipeg team in the NLL.. also I heard something about an Arena Football League team to be in Winnipeg some time ago.. is there any way to confirm that as well???

There was supposed to be a Canadian indoor football league started--but that died (mercifuuly given the awful team names they announced...)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I'm guessing many NHL owners would like to supplement the war chest like the Coyotes, the Wild, the Mighty Ducks and the Sharks do to have the Sting, the Swarm, the Storm, and the Stealth respectively.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I'm guessing many NHL owners would like to supplement the war chest like the Coyotes, the Wild, the Mighty Ducks and the Sharks do to have the Sting, the Swarm, the Storm, and the Stealth respectively.

What are NHL Teams who own NLL Teams Bob :P

Would New York and Hartford work? I think the East Coast prefers outdoor lacrosse.

As I said before, it's one or the other...

Not necessarily. Granted, MSG is only going to be interested in - and allowed by the league to - operate one expansion franchise at either Madison Square Garden or the Hartford Civic Center.

However, let's say that MSG Corporation were to choose to place a Garden-based NLL expansion team in New York City. Then, let's say that another independent owner stepped up to the plate who was interested in placing a team in the Hartford Civic Center. You don't think that MSG, as management company for the HCC, would be interested in leasing the latter arena to a paying tenant? In fact, MSG's management contract with the State of Connecticut probably obligates them to explore any and all reasonable business ventures at both the HCC and Rentschler Field.

I'm not saying that it is a guarantee to happen. However, according to one of my brothers-in-law (this guy is pretty significantly involved with lacrosse programs in Connecticut), there has been talk in Connecticut of an investor group looking into placing an NLL team in Hartford if MSG should opt to go the NYC route instead.

I think the East Coast prefers outdoor lacrosse.

Maybe, but there would still be a team in Boston if the owner wasn't a douche and got rid of them for no reason. And, technically, the New York Saints are still consider dormant with the likes of the Ravens and Rebel.

Archived