Colorado Rockies Concept

MonkeyWrench32

The green and beige are nice earthy changes, but I can't hear Ray Charles's "America the Beautiful" with the line "for brown mountains' majesty above the fruited plain". As much as the Rockies seem to downplay their use of purple (see the black sleeveless vests with black undershirts and a lot of silver trim), they chose purple for a reason, and I am guessing it's connected to the song.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Notable how the Marlins and Rockies both entered the NL in 90s fad colors and eventually modified to silver and black, with, oh, just a hint of the actual team color.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

i really like this concept especially the home and alternate.

it has a more "colorado" feel to it. its really the perfect mod to what they wear with out having to drastically changing.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

I have no idea if their use of purple has anything to do with "America the Beautiful". Personally, I think they were just using purple because it was the latest color fad.

I would imagine it has to do with the song. That particular lyric was written about the Rocky Mountains, which is obviously what the team was named after.

Either that, or because the mountains often look purple and they chose the less ugly color to go with. I doubt it has anything to do with purple being a fad -- because, well, was it ever a fad?

IUe6Hvh.png

Teal and purple, very 90s. See also: Marlins, Hornets, Kings revamps, Bucks revamps, Jazz revamps, Diamondbacks, Mighty Ducks, Mariners revamps, Sharks, Jaguars.

I disagree. I just rattled off a sizable list of 90s expansion teams and existing team redesigns that heavily incorporated purple, from about 1989 to 1998; surely that has to count for something.

Teal and purple, very 90s. See also: Marlins, Hornets, Kings revamps, Bucks revamps, Jazz revamps, Diamondbacks, Mighty Ducks, Mariners revamps, Sharks, Jaguars.

Mariners revamps???....show me a shade of purple there, I sure as heck dont see one

Mariners revamps???....show me a shade of purple there, I sure as heck dont see one

I could show you some teal. I meant that some had teal (M's, Sharks, Marlins), some had purple, (Jazz, Bucks, Kings), and some managed both (Hornets, Mighty Ducks).

While the trend of using purple in the 90's is a legit arguement in the case of the Rockies the purple has a real meaning to the logo. When you view the mountains from a distance they appear purple. The song illustrates this point.

The teams that use purple for the sake of being trendy are obvious. The rockies color scheme on the other hand has real meaning in my opinion. Plus the hue of purple that they use isn't so obnxoius as to be ugly and I feel gives the logo a unique flavor.

I disagree. I just rattled off a sizable list of 90s expansion teams and existing team redesigns that heavily incorporated purple, from about 1989 to 1998; surely that has to count for something.

... You named 4 teams for purple

And wasn't the Kings change in 1995? The Bucks in 1994? Jazz in 1997? I don't know how accurate these dates are, they're the years each 'revamp' or whatever is listed as on Chris' site, but they might've had purple in their schemes before this.

How many Major League Baseball teams wore purple in 1993 when the Rockies came into the league?

IUe6Hvh.png

You're off by a year on each NBA

And nobody said the Jazz had to use purple again. They didn't keep it in the uniforms now.

Teams in purple:

Hornets

Kings

Bucks

Jazz

Diamondbacks

Mighty Ducks

I count six.

You named 6... but I was talking 4 teams that you named that were in existance before the Rockies. Sorry for not clarifiying.

But the D-Backs came well after the Rockies -- the Ducks, Kings, and Bucks changes came after, or around the same time as the Rockies.

From the end of my drvieway, I have a completely clear and unobstructed view of the Rocky Mountains over fields, and nothing more. Seeing them every single day -- to me, the Rockies wouldn't look right if the mountains in their logo were anything but purple.

IUe6Hvh.png

You're off by a year on each NBA

And nobody said the Jazz had to use purple again. They didn't keep it in the uniforms now.

Teams in purple:

Hornets

Kings

Bucks

Jazz

Diamondbacks

Mighty Ducks

I count six.

1995 = 1994-95, etc. :)

add Toronto Raptors, Vancouver Grizzlies and revamped Detroit Pistons to that list

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived