Powder blue

rockchalk

Am I the only person who misses the Royals powder blues, especially after seeing their black fiascoes of the last couple of years? Also, are there any other teams that should maybe adopt the road blues again?

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Royals are the only team that could really wear that these days and get away with it.  Maybe.

I still haven't figured out all the fuss over the black, though.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I think the Royals are the only team that could really wear that these days and get away with it. Maybe.

I still haven't figured out all the fuss over the black, though.

I agree on the black. I can't say I like the black-blue hats, but I think the jerseys look great.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Sure black and blue, they go great together.

Sure, if you're a bruise.  The Rockies have the same problem w/ those two-toned alternate caps.

It was shameless and gratuitous to incorporate black into the Royals' uniforms.  Their orignial scheme was both classic and classy.  I wouldn't mind at all to see them bring back the baby blues.

The royals should emphasize royal,powder blue(accents, uniform color) and gold.  I think it was SHB who did an amazing Royals concept a while back with some powder blue.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?

It was shameless and gratuitous to incorporate black into the Royals' uniforms.

Oh my god... you guys should form a club. You could have a handpainted sign nailed to your treehouse that says "No black aloud." You can play cards, have snacks and throw water balloons (you'll need a lot) at the Mets and the Royals and every other team that has added navy blue or black to their identity over the years. I mean, god forbid the times change from how there were in the early 80's when sports identity was hokey and ameteurish.

"Black and navy blue, despite their overwhelming graphical versatility, are the root of all evil in modern day sports." Jesus. :angry:

Is it at all a possibility that the ownership thought adding black maybe made the uniforms look better (I do) as opposed to trying to make a quick buck?

Everyone always talks about the "sea of black and navy," but where is the talk of the "sea of red?" A buttload of teams in all professional sports use red too.

And maybe, just maybe, a dark color here and there can actually enhance the colors around it (ala the Broncos) without degrading the existing identity.

I'm not for throwing away meaningful history, and of course the Yankees, Canadiens, and Red Wings shouldn't be touched after a century of consistancy, both in identity and on-the-field success, but christ, we're talking about the Kansas City Royals, a consistantly mediocre franchise in a small market with an almost zero national fallowing.

As I step off my little soap box (sorry), I don't know if I'd like to see the powder blue roads back in baseball. To me, it looks as tacky as the old pull-over jerseys. I suppose if any one team where to reintroduce them, I'd pick the Expos, but even then it's a stretch for me.

I'm not opposed to black per se. I just disagree that it goes w/ blue. And the Mets and Royals, especially, look terrible. If you don't believe that marketing is what drives NYM to have, what? six uniform combos, then you're deluding yourself.

It's certainly acceptable to modernize uniforms periodically. Hokey and amateurish looks deserve to be updated. But black-for-black's-sake does not an improvement make.

you guys mean THIS CONCEPT?

There is no black in this scheme, but there IS silver. I dont think the royals need to emphasise gold more. just the crown logo being gold is all they need

Oh my god... you guys should form a club. You could have a handpainted sign nailed to your treehouse that says "No black aloud."

actually, I have a sign like that, but it says "brown" instead of black! :laugh: :P

800!!

Shark, beautiful work as usual, though I'm still not sure 'bout the powder blue roads. And Avenger, you need to calm down there buddy. People have a right to an opinion, and it seems to be a very popular one here. I DEFINITELY think I can be sure when I say that no team who has recently incorporated black into their scheme did so just because they honestly believed it looked better. HA! Sports is all money these days. Anyway, I personally don't think it's too bad with the Mets, but the Royals' unis just look abominable with it. They look just like any other boring team now, whereas before they just looked like the Dodgers :D. I think that the powder blue would look good, but I've also been playing with the idea of navy blue and gold.

Shark, beautiful work as usual, though I'm still not sure 'bout the powder blue roads....... They look just like any other boring team now, whereas before they just looked like the Dodgers :D.

thanks, I figured I would get a lot of positive reaction with a powder blue road concept.

and personally, i dont blame the royals for not wanting to look like the dodgers!! who in thier right mind would want to look like those jerkoffs?

Yep nice work Shark! Powder blue would work with a few teams and would give a sense of identity to some clubs who desperately need it!

(Slips into teacher mode) And anyone who has used the word aloud when they mean allowed needs to write out the correct spelling 3 times.

Oops sorry no idea what came over me there!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I'm not saying that the unis are horrible, it's just that being a team called the royals, you just might expect a little more blue as opposed to being a glorified trim color on the road sets. The Royals have gone from "borrowing" from one of the great uniforms in all of sports to one of the worst looking in my opinion. The Mets uniforms are just hideous. I saw a game in STL last season and the contrast was just amazing. From my upper deck vantage point, the Cards looked wonderful in their classic home whites and the Mets just looked like black blobs running around the field.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

What I always kind of liked about the old powder-blues were that they were just kind of a negative-image version of the road whites...

What about splitting the difference, and using the power blue jerseys as a home alternate, with the white pants?  Leave the road uniforms gray.  Heck, you could even throw in a bit of black with the powder blues, since the black would compliment the powder blue much better than it does the royal blue...

--Eriq.

And Avenger, you need to calm down there buddy. People have a right to an opinion, and it seems to be a very popular one here.

I'm perfectly calm, buddy. You're right when you say people have a right to their own opinions, and guess what? I was expressing mine. Sorry it goes against a lot of very vocal people on these boards.

The point I was trying to make is that I believe that a lot of people on this board have jumped this "ant-black/navy" bandwagon mindlessly. Some people are uncomfortable with change, and to them, the trend of adding black is an easy target.

As for the Royals, I'm sure they thought modernizing their look a bit would increase sales, but as we all should be smart enough to know, adding black won't inherently make your merchandise more marketable. It's all in how you use it. Personally I don't think the Royals use black as well as they could, but it's my opinion, and others I'm sure too, that adding the black has at least improved upon an incredibly boring and unoriginal design.

I always think the important thing is does the black actually do anything for the new look? For instance on the new Lions jerseys the black is just pointless really whereas IMO the Mets use black quite well, and makes a good look.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived