Toronto Bids for NCAA Bowl Game

eddie010

TSN.ca Story

Hmm, sounds interesting. I'd personally love to have it in the T.Dot, and I'd try my best to attend, but I'm not sure if many Canadians are that interested in NCAA football, let alone the teams participating.

But if it can pump $15 million into the city's economy...

NHLPlayoffSigOTT.gif

This is a slam dunk, if ever there was one. In general, the NCAA will sanction a bowl game for at least one year so long as it comes to the table with the support of at least one conference. As long as there will be 6-5 or 6-6 teams, especially schools that may not necessarily get to bowl games with any frequency, there will be a market for as many bowl games as there are qualifying teams. In this particular case, using conferences with a number of schools in the great lakes region or reasonably close thereto gives the game a decent chance of drawing a crowd that just might float the costs and maybe turn a reasonable profit.

This is a slam dunk, if ever there was one. In general, the NCAA will sanction a bowl game for at least one year so long as it comes to the table with the support of at least one conference. As long as there will be 6-5 or 6-6 teams, especially schools that may not necessarily get to bowl games with any frequency, there will be a market for as many bowl games as there are qualifying teams. In this particular case, using conferences with a number of schools in the great lakes region or reasonably close thereto gives the game a decent chance of drawing a crowd that just might float the costs and maybe turn a reasonable profit.

so in other words, welcome Eastern Michigan and Buffalo

How many NCAA schools are in Canada, exactly?

Though I'd be in favor of it, my guess is this doesn't fly.

I think theres one or two, Simon Fraser and Trinity Western both play in Division 3 I think.

no, no both are part of the CIS. Although, Simon Fraser were part of the NAIA but went to the CIS a few years ago.

I saw, I came, I left.

Simon Fraser played lower division football (probably Division III) against NCAA schools in the 1990s. I don't think they were an actual NCAA member, however. Simon Fraser plays Canadian Football now in the Canada West.

I also think Calgary at one point tried to get a Division I game to be played at McMahon Stadium about a decade ago.

maybe change the lowest bowl for both the Big 11 and the MAC that would give some "regionality" to it

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

This is a slam dunk, if ever there was one.  In general, the NCAA will sanction a bowl game for at least one year so long as it comes to the table with the support of at least one conference.  As long as there will be 6-5 or 6-6 teams, especially schools that may not necessarily get to bowl games with any frequency, there will be a market for as many bowl games as there are qualifying teams.  In this particular case, using conferences with a number of schools in the great lakes region or reasonably close thereto gives the game a decent chance of drawing a crowd that just might float the costs and maybe turn a reasonable profit.

so in other words, welcome Eastern Michigan and Buffalo

No, silly. They're in the same conference.

And they suck.

Think Syracuse - Toledo or UConn - Cincinnati

Think Syracuse - Toledo or UConn - Cincinnati

Syracuse- Toledo would work

UConn-Cincinnati would NOT work because UC is joining the Big East this summer.

Ha! Pardon me for laughing at the fact of UC playing in a bowl game in Toronto.

Signature intentionally left blank

Archived