Best Hats

broysox

I have gotten too anal about baseball caps lately. I feel people should only wear 5950s that are same design as the in-game caps.

Or maybe I just think adjustable pink Yankee caps are ridiculous. Either way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you break them in right (which a lot of people don't, b/c well, it's a hat) a 5950 can't be beat. They are excellent...3930's are the best hats I've found for summer. So much cooler and they fit so well, after a couple weeks you'll forget you're even wearing a hat it's so perfect.

edit-one problem I have noticed w/a 5950 is that sometimes the sizing seems kind of arbitrary. I have a 7 3/8 Cards BP hat (pre-3930) that fits perfectly, but my 7 1/2 Royals gamer is about 2 sizes too small

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

My only problem with the 39thirty is I'm between sizes. I like the feel overall, and it is likely my favorite "flex-fit" of all that I own, but I have the L/XL (which is listed as 7 5/8 - 8. The M/L is listed as 7 1/8 - 7 5/8. Falling between these two, right at 7 5/8, the M/L is tight, and the L/XL is a bit loose. I went with the lesser of two evils, and have the loose one, so my head doesn't feel like it's in a vice. Still, a compromise I would preferred to not have to had made.

Moose

FYI- if you don't want them to shrink as quickly.. scotch guard the hat. It gives it some water proof ability for a short time and extends out the life....

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

I know one thing, I hate the 39thirtys. I feel like a bum in one. If they still sold the mesh hats, I'd wear those. reebok's NFL and NBA hats, now those fit good IMO, and they're consistent. New Era, the sizes seem a bit random...as I noted in the past, I have several 59fifties and they fit good, except for this one Nets hat that feels smaller than listed.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The problem I have with the 5950s is the inconsistent quality. Very hard to find one with a logo centered on the front and a cap that's stitched on straight.

I can't buy them online - too big a gamble. I need to actually inspect them.

I feel the same way. For my collection of the MLB Authentic Collection 5950's, I have bought every one after inspecting it....every hat I order online is off-centered and just looks terrible.

The first thing I do is run the crown of the cap -- inside and out -- under water in the sink.  It needs to get good and soaked.  Then I just put it on my head and shape it w/ my hands.  It ends up somewhere between the high crown of a brand new hat and the low-profile look.  It shrinks as it dries, but cos I buy it big it ends up fitting comfortably and looking relaxed.

The best way I found to break in my 59Fiftys is to wear it in the shower for 5 minutes - same basic effect as Amare's technique, and it molds to your head. Hope for a sunny day, and let it dry out while on your head, shaped as you want it. You may need to do it 2 or 3 times, but I got rid of the high crown on my 59Fiftys this way and they kept the shape I wanted.

Anyone tried either technique with a 39thirty? I guess it wouldn't hurt to just go ahead and try. I wouldn't mind trying to shrink mine just a little... As mentioned above, my 39thirty is just a bit loose.

Moose

Besides the 5950, which everyone seems to love (I do too, I have about every Sox event cap), my favorite caps are any relaxed fit cap Nike makes. I have a red Red Sox Nike cap with an adjustable backstrap and a Jayhawks cap also made by Nike that are perfect.

Finding the perfect hat varies by person. We all have different head shapes and certain hats look better depending on the person. Nike does it for me.

What do the numbers in "59/50", "39/30", etc. mean?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Those are model numbers to the New Era MLB ballcaps. The 5950 is the official on-field hats for all of the teams, which are fitted and made of 100% wool. The 3930 is the official batting practice hats for all of the teams, which are stretch-fit and made of moisture absorbing polyester.

Old school hats are just so awesome.

Thunderstruk, that Braves hat is an absolute classic (even if it is adjustable).

rbripley, I've never seen that Pirates hat ('41-'42). I like it except for the white band.

I just got two new hats last week, one being a throwback.

1901red.jpg

1901 Cincinnati Reds (just thought it looked pretty sweet)

1_250.jpg

"Relaxed" Fresno State (girlfriend's brother is playing baseball there next year)

breesgates7kl.giflt8su.gif

Thanks to OB33 for the Tecmo Bowl sig

Those are model numbers to the New Era MLB ballcaps. The 5950 is the official on-field hats for all of the teams, which are fitted and made of 100% wool. The 3930 is the official batting practice hats for all of the teams, which are stretch-fit and made of moisture absorbing polyester.

Oh. I knew they were the model numbers, but I thought they had some other significance. Guess not.

Thanks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived