mets logo, getting rid of the baseball

IceCap

so many major leauge teams feature a baseball in the logo, and imo soem of them are really unnesecary, like the mets. if they removed the stitching from the logo it would look pretty clean and nice imo. so i decided to see what the mets logo would look like if it was less baseball-like. the logo on top is the current logo, the logo below is the current logo without baseball features.

nym.gif

I think the Mets logo is one of the best in baseball. It looks worse without the stitches. They it looks cleaners but it just looks empty without the stitches.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

thanks everyone for their input. i dont see why its neccesary for the mets logo to double as a baseball. imo it has to many elements ("Mets" the bridge, the skyline). the stiches just make it look cluttered to me. oh well, at least i can say i tried :D

I gotta disagree with this one. The stitching on the Mets logo is so subtle, so nicely hidden, that when it goes away, it just looks... weird.

And not only that, but I think the Mets are the only team that have yet to change their logo since their inception (even the yankees originally had the NY split up).

Insert Witty Signature Here.

I gotta disagree with this one. The stitching on the Mets logo is so subtle, so nicely hidden, that when it goes away, it just looks... weird.

And not only that, but I think the Mets are the only team that have yet to change their logo since their inception (even the yankees originally had the NY split up).

actually they have changed it. up until 1998 the mets had their "NY" logo in the left portion of the logo. u can see for yourself at chris' site *who i would like to thank for the mets logo in the first place*

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?l_id=4&t_id=67&logo=1235

Why not just get rid of the skyline and the bridge while we're at it?

Hmm...get rid of "NY" in logo, add black, get rid of pinstripes, get rid of baseball stitches in logo. Why not just go with an all new identity instead of dicking around with things thinking we won't notice?

Oh and by the way, you'd never guess it by my initial response, but I like your concept.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

I agree - you need the stitches.

imo it loos cleaner without the stiches. its not suppose to be a baseball now, its just a circular logo.

Otherwise, why not take the skyline out of a circle?

this makes no sense to me. imo the stiches ubstructed the skyline.

actually they have changed it. up until 1998 the mets had their "NY" logo in the left portion of the logo. u can see for yourself at chris' site *who i would like to thank for the mets logo in the first place*

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?l_id=4&t_id=67&logo=1235

What's with the trademark symbol being so big? The TM on that logo is almost as big as the NY. That also bothers me with the Cubs logo. You see the little R thing on the bottom right corner, and in some applications is very noticable.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

imo it loos cleaner without the stiches. its not suppose to be a baseball now, its just a circular logo.

My point is: why bother keeping it in a circular shape if you're not going to use the baseball?

My point is: why bother keeping it in a circular shape if you're not going to use the baseball?

What's the point of using any of it except the text if it's not going to be a baseball? :D

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

check out the a's logo. its a circle, but not a baseball.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?l_id=4&t_id=69&logo=1263

The A's logo has been around for a while so it's been accepted. I think if you took the stitches off the Mets logo you would probably need to add a little more detail to the skyline, perhaps some shadowing to the buildings or something. Add some shadowing and enlarge the Mets script and it could work. Or here's an idea..........why not just change the script to say "Metropolitans"?

Retired Number's To Come

Archived