Which race will you be watching this weekend?

yankeeman161

After pretty much never following racing except off and on, the 500 was awesome to watch. I still can't believe that with 50 some laps to go, she has to change the entire nose of her car, an opperation taht takes 3 1/2 mins, and still leads 10 of the last 20 laps. Incredible.

I was really pulling for her. She is the real thing. It was a very entertaining race.

After pretty much never following racing except off and on, the 500 was awesome to watch. I still can't believe that with 50 some laps to go, she has to change the entire nose of her car, an opperation taht takes 3 1/2 mins, and still leads 10 of the last 20 laps. Incredible.

I was really pulling for her. She is the real thing. It was a very entertaining race.

Another interesting fact: In 1995, Jacques Villeneuve came back from two laps down and actually went 505 miles to win the Indy 500

http://espn.go.com/rpm/f1/2001/0928/1256636.html

I saw, I came, I left.

After pretty much never following racing except off and on, the 500 was awesome to watch.  I still can't believe that with 50 some laps to go, she has to change the entire nose of her car, an opperation taht takes 3 1/2 mins, and still leads 10 of the last 20 laps.  Incredible. 

I was really pulling for her.  She is the real thing.  It was a very entertaining race.

Another interesting fact: In 1995, Jacques Villeneuve came back from two laps down and actually went 505 miles to win the Indy 500

http://espn.go.com/rpm/f1/2001/0928/1256636.html

I think a driver in the 80's (rick mears (sp?) or bobby rahaul) spun and won the 500.

I went last year, and unfortunatly we got rained on an left after the first rain out, we figured it wouldn't be run that day. But, I know NASCAR goes fast and all, but 225 mph is VERY fast. Those cars move so quick, its like watching slotcars in your basement. They say StockCars are louder, but those open wheeled cars are loud enough. Its very impressive to see in person.

But, the boys are crying the girl has an unfair advantage-her weight. She weights anywhere from 50 to 100 pounds less then the men and that can translate into her being 1 mph faster than them because her car is lighter.

IRL say don't expect a rule change.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

It would have been nice to see Danica win today's race, but she got plenty of pub cause of it, so i'm sure she's not too disappointed.

By no means am I a racing fan so I'll need a little help with this one. I've been hearing how Danice had a great race, etc, etc, and i guess maybe she had her moments, but here's what I dont get. Danica started in fourth position. She finished in 4th place. That really doesn't say that much, does it? I guess she held her ground very well, but it's not like she made any progress either.

Oh well. Good luck to her and maybe someday when her racing skills diminish and she needs a few extra dollars, she'll hook us up with a tasty Playboy pictorial. :D

6uXNWAo.png

But, the boys are crying the girl has an unfair advantage-her weight.  She weights anywhere from 50 to 100 pounds less then the men and  that can translate into her being 1 mph faster than them because her car is lighter.

IRL say don't expect a rule change.

It would be unfair if they make a rule change for her just because she is lighter. What do they have to do, put more weight on the car just for her? She is a good driver who is, apparently, on a good team. That's all that matters. If car owners really worry about a person's weight when consdiering choosing a driver, then they would be hiring drivers the size of jockeys.

I saw, I came, I left.

Whew. What a great day of racing.

I started with the European Grand Prix at 6:30 am. Alonzo wins as Kimi suspension []iexplodes on the last lap.

Time for a shower and teh hour long drive to my dad's house for Indy.

Dan Wheldon wins "The Danica Show" by making a pass with six laps left after starting 16th in a very entertaining afternoon.

Then... NASCAR and a side by side finish off the last turn of the last lap as Johnson wins the 600.

I can't wait until the 24 Hours of Le Mans in three weeks.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

It would have been nice to see Danica win today's race, but she got plenty of pub cause of it, so i'm sure she's not too disappointed.

By no means am I a racing fan so I'll need a little help with this one. I've been hearing how Danice had a great race, etc, etc, and i guess maybe she had her moments, but here's what I dont get. Danica started in fourth position. She finished in 4th place. That really doesn't say that much, does it? I guess she held her ground very well, but it's not like she made any progress either.

Oh well. Good luck to her and maybe someday when her racing skills diminish and she needs a few extra dollars, she'll hook us up with a tasty Playboy pictorial. :D

I'll try to overview the race to show you the kind of race she had:

Danica started out O.K. hovering in the top 5 most of the first 80 laps. Then, when she pulled in for a pit stop she stalled knocking her down to 16th. She fought her way back to 10th and then she spun out under caution. Luckily, she used the crash she made to her advantage and was able to refuel and when everyone else pitted she was in the lead. However, she couldn't drive flat out because she had to conserve fuel in order to make it to the finish. Because she had to back off she got passed by three cars and ended up where she started. (Whew, I think I got it all.)

So she didn't really just hold her position for 500 miles, it just kinda worked out that way.

BTW: I guess Jimmie Johnson doesn't look like that much of an "idiot" now. ^_^

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

At least it's good to know that the IRL will race on road courses this year :)

I take it you didn't see the race in St. Petersberg last month???? Andretti-Green swept the first four positions.

The series will take on 3 road courses this year for the first time in several years. CART races road courses every year. it was smart for Tony George to get back to the roots of open wheel racing and go road racing again.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

i had Indy on the am dial til i could watch the last 15 or so laps. then i tuned onto the 600 around 6 and bounced in and out til 11:30pm.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

At least it's good to know that the IRL will race on road courses this year :)

I take it you didn't see the race in St. Petersberg last month???? Andretti-Green swept the first four positions.

The series will take on 3 road courses this year for the first time in several years. CART races road courses every year. it was smart for Tony George to get back to the roots of open wheel racing and go road racing again.

No I wasn't aware about the IRL running three road course races until this past weekend. Please forgive me I don't follow the IRL at all. :blush: Although I won't apologise for not following it at all because of what Tony George did in making a rival league and bringing down open wheel racing and for that I have not bothered with the IRL.

After the split, I decided to back ChampCar rather than IRL even though there is more competition and sponsorship in the IRL. <_< However, I do want ChampCar and IRL to merge and become a strong series again, one that can rival NASCAR for sponsorship dollars and fan interest.

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm with you on that one! A merge would be great to create one large supercompeteive series.

You follow CART and I'll follow IRL and when they merge, we can be the resident experts and POSSIBLY friends. :P

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I think a driver in the 80's (rick mears (sp?) or bobby rahaul) spun and won the 500.

Danny Sullivan pulled off the "Spin and Win" in 1985.

I spent Sunday working at the Speedway and by the time I got home they were under the red flag with 9 laps to go at Charlotte. I guess it was a demolition derby with a NASCAR record 22 yellows. I would expect that kind of carnage at Bristol, not Charlotte.

Archived