Expos to park in puerto rico

yh

Well, it looks like the geniuses at MLB have finally come to the realization that they are not going to be able to select a permanent relocation site for the Expos in time to set the 2004 schedule, so Puerto Rico will host all 81 home games for the team next year.  Since MLB has given up entirely on Montreal, it would be stupid and a downright slap in the face to the city of Montreal to call the team the Montreal Expos next year.  

This shouldn't imply by any means that MLB isn't capable of reaching this level of stupidity, by the way.

So, this begs the question.  Assuming MLB sees the tremendous marketing opportunity to create from scratch a new team name, logo, color scheme and uniform that will likely only be used for a year (thus adding to the novelty), what are your suggestions, concepts, etc?

And Webdav, I hope this wasn't what you were thinking for your August challenge.  If so, I'm sorry.

Ill probably hear it from any of the PC people on the board, but oh well what is sarcasm good for if you cant offend some people.

I would call them the Puerto Rico Pinatas........

Cause let's be honest, they will be the proverbial pinata that gets beat with a stick from every team in the MLB.

The logo will be a cracked open pinata with baseballs wrapped in concession stand wrappers w/ the outline of a Sammy Sosa type smacking it with a Pine Tar Filled Baseball Bat!

For an alternate logo, they will have a Juan Valdez type character with a Big Sombrero, and in that sombrero will be a bag of Nachos!

They will have a 1978 Lime Green Chevy Impala Lowrider, as their bullpen cart to shuttle the pitchers to the mound.

And during the 7th innning stretch they will alternate between La Bamba, and the Macarena......

Heck, they can even take it one step further and give Elian Gonzalez a job as their official Bat Boy.......

Fan Appreciation night will be every Cinco De Mayo (which is May 5th, for those non espanol hablas personas), and they will hand out 25% off discount cards to their local Taco Bell, and white tank tops for everyone in attendance.

And let's not forget, there will be some hombres on the side of the freeway ramp to the stadium in bajas selling bags of Oranges to fans arriving for the game!

Para Mi Hente! LOL

Well, MLB has dragged their heels on this again (like I knew they would), but they're just delaying the inevitable.  Washington Nationals in 2005! :D

QPR%20Sig.png

Ill probably hear it from any of the PC people on the board, but oh well what is sarcasm good for if you cant offend some people.

I would call them the Puerto Rico Pinatas........

Cause let's be honest, they will be the proverbial pinata that gets beat with a stick from every team in the MLB.

The logo will be a cracked open pinata with baseballs wrapped in concession stand wrappers w/ the outline of a Sammy Sosa type smacking it with a Pine Tar Filled Baseball Bat!

For an alternate logo, they will have a Juan Valdez type character with a Big Sombrero, and in that sombrero will be a bag of Nachos!

They will have a 1978 Lime Green Chevy Impala Lowrider, as their bullpen cart to shuttle the pitchers to the mound.

And during the 7th innning stretch they will alternate between La Bamba, and the Macarena......

Heck, they can even take it one step further and give Elian Gonzalez a job as their official Bat Boy.......

Fan Appreciation night will be every Cinco De Mayo (which is May 5th, for those non espanol hablas personas), and they will hand out 25% off discount cards to their local Taco Bell, and white tank tops for everyone in attendance.

And let's not forget, there will be some hombres on the side of the freeway ramp to the stadium in bajas selling bags of Oranges to fans arriving for the game!

Para Mi Hente! LOL

Wow....... you managed to confuse Mexican, Columbian and Cuban stereotypes with the Puerto Rican jokes, all while trying to offend people.

You're as educated as you are classy.

LOL@ Avenger.......

I guess you missed the whole point of my diatribe then..

hence the Preclaimer of Sarcasm.....

But I am glad you picked up on the fact that I knocked every other Latin group except Puerto Ricans....

Maybe a comment about how their annual parade ends in sexually assaulting women with water bottles, might have been more ethnically correct.

But the Puerto Rican Day Parade reference, might only be familiar to residents of NY. I dont know?

The Puerto Rico Freeloaders...

Nah.. i know... i'm just being an ass, but let's get serious

They will most likely keep the Expos name. Why? Cheaper. Don't have to pay for new logo and uniform designs. Until they decide on a PERMANENT home, they'll keep the Expos name.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The Puerto Rico Expos? The PRE? Perhaps they should change the nickname to something that starts with an O so I can call them the PROs. :D

The Oxpos!

*hopes for the Puerto Rice Ajax!*

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

wow, those games later in the summer are going to be unbearably hot.  

How are they planning to possibly turn a profit in Puerto Rico?  The interest is there, but the economics aren't.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  

I agree with JQK here and suspect that the team will keep the Montreal name because it's cheaper and the team will probably only be there for one year.

Washington Senators in 2005.  these are some older concepts I did for the senators that I still really like.

Copy and Paste and be sure to scroll down on the linked pages to view all designs!

Jerseys

Logos

Script logos

If I understand right, they're just doing what they did for a few games at the beginning of this season and are just playing home games in P.R.  Just this time it's all of them.  I wouldn't call this a relocation, considering the team will be there one year.  

Think about the cost of writing Puerto Rico on everything instead of Montreal.  First, Puerto Rico is longer, so you have to do some resizing of text on the main logo.  Then all the wordmarks and such has to be changed.  The Fleur-de-lis has to be dropped.  If Montreal must go from texts, I'd just use the Expos text as the main logo.  The M cap logo won't fly because they don't play in montreal anymore.  Will they put the cursive E from the Expos text on the caps?  Or will they just not care anymore?

Maybe they could call them the "Montreal to Washington by way of Puerto Rico Expos".  Rolls off the toungue and into your heart.

Or if they put the team in Vieques, they could be the Vieques Travesty or the Vieques Genocide.

pr.gif

La Borinqueña

La tierra de Borinquén

donde he nacido yo,

es un jardín florido

de mágico fulgor.

Un cielo siempre nítido

le sirve de dosel

y dan arrullos plácidos

las olas a sus pies.

Cuando a sus playas llegó Colón;

Exclamó lleno de admiración;

"Oh!, oh!, oh!, esta es la linda

tierra que busco yo".

Es Borinquén la hija,

la hija del mar y el sol,

del mar y el sol,

del mar y el sol,

del mar y el sol,

del mar y el sol.

:D

I believe, that they will be know as the Expos.

Only the Expos.

No montral or Puerto Rico before their name, they will just be "The Expos"

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived