Jets West Side Stadium Dead

jkrdevil

The Jets didn't get state money for West Side Stadium. This all but ends New Yorks chance for the Olympics. This morning reports came out that said it's Paris' olympics to lose. Odds makers this morning put New York at a 33-1 underdog to get the olympics. It's even worse than that now.

Lawmaker Vows Veto, Appearing to End Chances for Stadium

The reason for no funds. Lower Manhattan (WTC) has to be rebuilt first.

The reason for no funds is complete BS. He could have said we needed to use these funds in the education system, improve transit etc. I would understand that.

Sorry to hear about the news. It's probably for the best I think. New York does not need the Olympics.

I saw, I came, I left.

The "no funds" argument has to do with the fact that redeveloping the WTC site has been one of Sheldon Siver's pet projects as it is in the district he represents. Before coming out firmly against the stadium, he's said he had reservations about building anything on the West Side with nary a brick laid on the WTC site.

Here's hoping all parties involved come back to earth a bit and find a nice spot in Queens or something for a more modest home for the Jets.

Huge sigh of relief about the Olympics, too.

Like this ever had even a semi-realistic chance of happening.

There is no way in hell Bloomberg was going to force the taxpayers to pony up over $1,000,000,000 for an OgDamn football stadium, at least not if he didn't want to be burned alive.

The Jets don't deserve a new stadium, and neither do the Giants.

There is no way in hell Bloomberg was going to force the taxpayers to pony up over $1,000,000,000 for an OgDamn football stadium, at least not if he didn't want to be burned alive.

Well, the Giants are getting a new stadium but they are paying for it themselves.

Well, the Giants are getting a new stadium but they are paying for it themselves.

.... and that's the big difference between the two projects :)

I saw, I came, I left.

New York is too stupid they have sold their soles the the devil aka Charles Dolan.

I love some of the radio commericals against the the stadium from Dolan the stadium is coperate welfare and there should be no more sweethart deals for sports teams this a is paid for Cablevisioon who has a sweethart deal for the Kniks Rangers and MSG.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

New York is too stupid they have sold their soles the the devil aka Charles Dolan.

"X disagrees with Proposition Y"

"Z, who has run several once-proud sports franchises into the ground, also disagrees with Proposition Y, because it favors his business interests, and pours money into a slick advertising campaign to try to defeat it."

therefore

"X did not use his own independent judgement and reasoning to formulate his opinion on Proposition Y. Rather, he was manipulated into 'selling his sole' to Z. And, on top of that, he's too stupid."

:rolleyes:

For what it's worth, the discussion on Mike & The Mad Dog this afternoon centered around a new Jets stadium in Queens, though that probably won't happen either.

So after all this, Cablevision gets its way (no West Side stadium), the IOC will likely get its way (no NYC Olympics) and the Giants get their way (new NJ stadium with the Jets probably as tenants - again).

The big losers in this are the Jets and NYC mayor Mike Bloomberg. Bloomberg pushed hard to get the stadium built, and all the political capital he spent on this project got wasted.

Maybe the Jets moving to LA would be best for them...who knows. We'll have to wait and see.

Oh, and NYC's now a 33-1 underdog to get the Olympics, at least according to the latest odds. Paris is still the prohibitive favorite and likely will be the winner.

[EDIT: And no Super Bowl either.]

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

[EDIT: And no Super Bowl either.]

Well, not necessarily. If the Giants put a retractable roof on their stadium then the game would be played there. The Jets could throw a lot of money for the new stadium and be co-owners with the Giants. Or they could just tenants of the Giants (which is even more embarissing than their current situation, at least they are tenants of the state of New Jersey and not the Giants).

They will not move to LA. First if they tried the NFL would never allow it. Their are 2 other teams with worse stadium situations than the Jets and both play in worse markets than New York.

The Jets will be playing in a new stadium come 2010. The issue is if they will own it or just be tenants.

Archived