Pensacola Ice Pilots Announce New Logo and Colors

Geoff

061605.jpg

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 16, 2005

(850) 432-7825

Ice Pilots Announce New Logo and Colors

Pensacola, FL - The Pensacola Ice Pilots announced a new logo and colors for the organization. The new logo with the name Pensacola Ice Pilots written across features four planes flying with a shooting puck.

The team colors will be red, black, silver and white. This will be the primary logo and color scheme that the Ice Pilots will be using effective immediately. The logo was designed by Francis Santaquilani from Chattanooga, Tennessee. He has designed other logos for the Orlando Magic, NBA, WNBA, East-West Shrine College Football Game, arena football including the Pensacola Barracudas and other sporting events and teams.

Fans can visit icepilots.com to view the new logo.

Merchandise with the new Ice Pilots logo is on sale now. The Ice Pilots are taking pre-orders for hats, t-shirts, golf shirts, replica jerseys and mugs. Fans can purchase mer! chandise by calling the Ice Pilots at 432-7825 or by visiting the Ice Pilots office at the Pensacola Civic Center. Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, checks and cash are accepted.

Season tickets for the Ice Pilots 2005-2006 season are on sale. Fans can call the Ice Pilots office at 432-7825 for season ticket and corporate sponsorship information.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

that logo is just shooting out all over the place, isn't it? :)

it's not terrible. it's a huge upgrade... but i agree, a new name should have been first on the list of changes.

In general, I don't think it is creative when a hockey team puts ice in their name. Ice Dogs, Ice Pilots, Ice Barracudas or Ice Camels...you get the idea. Ice usually shows up because the team is in a warm climate and they want some cred.

Ditto for "river". Here's the deal: Nearly every city is built on a river. it is the reason why people settled there. A team is not unique because they are the River Scorpions or River Snails or whatever.

When will our senators in Washington and Ottawa finally pass a useful, practical bill and illegalize this harmful practice?

I'm not crazy about the logo, either. It's okay. Not bad, but not spectacular.

And I couldn't agree more that they need to drop the "Ice." Pensacola Pilots has a nice ring to it. Hooray for alliteration!

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

THat designer is not too shabby at all. I'd be proud if that was my portfolio.

I like this logo (hate the name) but don't care for the fact that all the planes look like they're flying in different directions.

Its an energetic composition to be sure, but those planes go like 700mph....formations are the only thing keeping them from the midair go boom. I'd like it if they appeared to be coming from a common vector......maybe veering uniformly apart as the puck (missile) split the formation? I dunno. Something.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

As the unofficial, official Ice Pilots fan of the CCSLC, I have one main gripe/question. Why the change of colors? Red, White, and Black has always been a good combo but with the Gulf Coast Swords coming in 06-07 who use the same colors that will be 2 of 3 FL ECHL teams with the same colors. Also, the colors were chosen to pay homage to the Blue Angels who are based at Pensacola NAS. I'm going to have to get used to cheering for red now. I wonder what the new duds will look like. Maybe they will use the same Philly 3rd template or they will get a whole new template or a pre-existing one again.

Where's Streeter? lol

I like his portfolio. He does great work with a limited color palette, he doesn't resort to dark & light shades of the same color to add depth. His wordmarks are good too, but in too many of them the location seems to be wedged in as an afterthought.

His War Dogs logo looks similar to the Hartford Wolf Pack. Maybe he designed Hartford as well?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I would have figured you had seen the unis by now.

I work with the team during the season and have talked with Tim Kerr. From what i get from him he hates bright colors (Yellow and green) as in the old Uniforms

he was a big fan of the Blackhawks colors when he played in the minors thats were thatt comes from.

But above all he wanted to KILL the old look sooner so here is the new Unis

pilots1.jpg

Mustangs banner.png

big banner.png

As the unofficial, official Ice Pilots fan of the CCSLC, I have one main gripe/question. Why the change of colors? Red, White, and Black has always been a good combo but with the Gulf Coast Swords coming in 06-07 who use the same colors that will be 2 of 3 FL ECHL teams with the same colors. Also, the colors were chosen to pay homage to the Blue Angels who are based at Pensacola NAS. I'm going to have to get used to cheering for red now. I wonder what the new duds will look like. Maybe they will use the same Philly 3rd template or they will get a whole new template or a pre-existing one again.

Where's Streeter? lol

Oh, you know I'll do a concept.

Thanks for the aknowledgement.

While the new logo is tremendously well-rendered, and a decided improvement over the old logo's artwork in that regard, I would have liked it if the new mark had retained the pilot character as the centerpiece of the design.

As it is, the planes in the new logo almost seem to be an afterthought to the wordmark. It will definitely be difficult to see the aircraft when the logo is reduced in size.

I thought that the use of the pilot/flying ace figure in the old logo was pretty original, particularly since the Abiliene Aviators went "belly-up". The use of a plane to depict the pilot theme? Meh... I'm not so crazy about that. It seems overused.

I also see no reason to adopt Black/Red/Silver/White as the new color palette. Why not something like Navy Blue/Sky Blue/Gold/White which would more directly pay homage to Pensacola's place in Naval aviation history?

Oh, and by the way... ice hockey teams should get a choice: they can either include the word "ice" in their name/logo OR they can feature a flying puck in the logo. There's no need for both.

Bottom line?

Quality of artwork: A

Originality of design theme: F

Palette: D

Overall Grade: C-

Yeah when I looked at the press release they weren't on there and my dad was just looking and I noticed. I've got a job now so I will be buying a white jersey. I might also stay after and try and get in on some of the jersey auctions. :D

Archived