Baseball Captains

jWilson4mvp

Derek Jeter's the captain of the Yankees.

Sammy Sosa used to be the captain of the Cubs.

Barry Larkin used to be the captain of the Reds before he retired.

Yes, Larkin was. And the Reds embroidered thier cap logo on his uniform to represent the captain status.

larkingoodwin.jpg

Larkin has the C logo while Curtis Goodwin does not.

IzmvxJdz.jpg

A more visible picture of the captains logo.

I think a Captain C looks horrific on anything other than a hockey uniform. It only makes it worse that only a few teams do it which just makes it stick out more. Varitek isn't going to have to dispute any penalty calls, so why don't they just take that thing off his jersey and just know he's the captain. The Cubs were the worst, they had 3 or 4 captains back a few years ago; Sosa (could there be a bigger joke?) and I think Girardi and one of the pitchers, maybe even Grace when he still was on the team. Anyway point being the C's need to stay in hockey.

I think a Captain C looks horrific on anything other than a hockey uniform. It only makes it worse that only a few teams do it which just makes it stick out more. Varitek isn't going to have to dispute any penalty calls, so why don't they just take that thing off his jersey and just know he's the captain. The Cubs were the worst, they had 3 or 4 captains back a few years ago; Sosa (could there be a bigger joke?) and I think Girardi and one of the pitchers, maybe even Grace when he still was on the team. Anyway point being the C's need to stay in hockey.

I agree. One nice touch about the C in the NHL is what the Flames do (i'd find pictures, but you'll get the idea). Instead of just putting a block C like most teams, they just put their flaming C primary logo on the shoulder - and the Alternate captains get the Atlanta flaming A.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

Instead of just putting a block C like most teams, they just put their flaming C primary logo on the shoulder

They stopped doing that.

iginla_jarome11.jpg

But yes, you're right about the alternate captains wearing the flaming A (it's recolored, obviously).

conroy_faceoff_194x194.jpg

44.gif

In baseball captain is an honory position. After Lou Gerhig the Yankees retired the position of captain untill Munson in the 70's. So not all teams have a captain. Also, if a team does have a captain they don't always wear a C. Jeter is the current Yankee Captain and he wears nothing special on his uniform. Wearing the C is taken from hockey wear the captain actually has a job.

to clarify, Sosa and Grace were captains, and IIRC Girardi was too (or at least he shoulda been). there was indeed a pitching captain, Rick Aguilera.

I recall in the 03-04 season the Bucks gave Desmond Mason and Tim Thomas captain C's, however this year D Mase didn't have anything special on his jersey. sometimes I hear those black bands on the shoulders (or white in teh Suns' case) denote captaincy, could somebody clear that up?

and although you almost never see it in the NFL, I got an old Drew Pearson card where he had a C on his jersey. some college teams do it, but Fresno State and (to hell with) Georgia are the only major schools I can think of right now who dole out C's.

of course in soccer (and I assume rugby too), the C is replaced by a contrasting armband...strangely, I've seen that some of the captains on girls' teams around here wear the armband right under their knees.

strangely, one of the other sports where the captain has an actual job (in this case, running the show), Aussie rules, doesn't seem to use any symbol (C, armband or otherwise) to denote captaincy, nor does cricket.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

i wonder why in the world doesn't the NFL have C logos for captains. I mean if there is any other sports where the captains play a part like the opening coin toss, it should be the NFL. Plus most teams have captains for defense,offense, and special teams. So if the ref needs to ask if a team member wants '3rd down and 6' or '2nd down and 15', they could easily tell who the captains are with the C.

to clarify, Sosa and Grace were captains, and IIRC Girardi was too (or at least he shoulda been). there was indeed a pitching captain, Rick Aguilera.

I recall in the 03-04 season the Bucks gave Desmond Mason and Tim Thomas captain C's, however this year D Mase didn't have anything special on his jersey. sometimes I hear those black bands on the shoulders (or white in teh Suns' case) denote captaincy, could somebody clear that up?

and although you almost never see it in the NFL, I got an old Drew Pearson card where he had a C on his jersey. some college teams do it, but Fresno State and (to hell with) Georgia are the only major schools I can think of right now who dole out C's.

of course in soccer (and I assume rugby too), the C is replaced by a contrasting armband...strangely, I've seen that some of the captains on girls' teams around here wear the armband right under their knees.

strangely, one of the other sports where the captain has an actual job (in this case, running the show), Aussie rules, doesn't seem to use any symbol (C, armband or otherwise) to denote captaincy, nor does cricket.

I always was told that the black bands on the shoulders were in memorial of a death in the organization.

Black bands invariably denote mourning for a death in the organization.

Sports that originated outside North America (soccer, team handball, etc.) often use contrasting bands to denote the captain, but they're more like removable elastic bands that are removable if the designated captain leaves the game. And they're rarely black.

Why did the Flames dump the flaming C to identify their captain? That was a unique and brilliant move, and matched up nicely with the old Atlanta flaming A for their alternate captains.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived