Brewers Logo Contest

amare32

brewers.gif

i wouldnt mind seeing this incorporated into a BP or ALT jersey. i really like it but i might be the only one :D

imo thats nice, but it looks to much like the padres swinging fryer, and in all fairnes the fryer is more well known.

Ah, the Beer Barrel Man's older than the Swinging Friar. He was around first, time to bring him back.

I updated him for the new colors, and I think he would make an exceptional sleeve patch:

04_2005.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brewers.gif

i wouldnt mind seeing this incorporated into a BP or ALT jersey. i really like it but i might be the only one :D

imo thats nice, but it looks to much like the padres swinging fryer, and in all fairnes the fryer is more well known.

Ah, the Beer Barrel Man's older than the Swinging Friar. He was around first, time to bring him back.

I updated him for the new colors, and I think he would make an exceptional sleeve patch:

04_2005.jpg

As it is, the Barrel Man is too unbalanced to make a decent sleeve patch. If you put it inside a circle or superimposed over a thicker circle, maybe it'll work better.

That being said, my "the past should be left in the past" stance is still in effect concerning the Brewers visual identiy...

QPR%20Sig.png

I'm not saying it's right. But for me the ball n glove is the Brewers. I would imagine any focus group is going to give them data showing most people love the ball n glove........though it will be flawed since maybe the fans just want a shirt like that.

THey probably shouldn't go back to it......right now its the whole retro, grass was always greener thing. Once we actually wear it, we may realize how goofy it is. It's just been SO long since we were even decent. There is literally no reason to even care about the team after July.......at least the fans are passionate about this, if nothing else.

But the whole team/stadium is one giant Miller ad now, and I don't really like that either.

I'm surprised at the level of opposition to this on the board here. If there was a snowballs chance that we'd ever see the Hartford HW Whale logo again on the ice, there would be a parade. And yet it's at least 50/50 here to keep the glove locked away.

I dunno.......I"m too close to the situation to trust my feelings. I'm sure they betray me. But I want it back.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I'm surprised at the level of opposition to this on the board here. If there was a snowballs chance that we'd ever see the Hartford HW Whale logo again on the ice, there would be a parade. And yet it's at least 50/50 here to keep the glove locked away.

I dunno.......I"m too close to the situation to trust my feelings. I'm sure they betray me. But I want it back.

thats because the hartford whalers logo actually represents the team name (somewhat). the ball and glove logo has nothing to do with the name "brewers"

thats because the hartford whalers logo actually represents the team name (somewhat). the ball and glove logo has nothing to do with the name "brewers"

Yeah I know. Obviously the Whale scores a perfect 10.0 on the sublime, relevant, and cool scales. And has been "taken away" prematurely.....so once you factor in that it's the perfect logo AND a martyr, I guess I do understand the difference.

EDIT** I just realized why you typed (somewhat). Duh. I'm stupid. Yeah, the Whalers logo was representative of whales......not whalers. Big difference between watching them and harpooning them. Even further proof that a beloved logo needn't be perfect to return.

That doesn't completely explain the backlash though. The Ball/Glove is and easy top 3 in hidden/double meaning logos ever.

It was done by an outsider who had an epiphany, someone like us, not a big firm.

It's representative of a simpler time when we could actually compete.

To a certain extent, a people determine what they want to be associated with, what they want to be called. Given the choice between a Ferrari and a Ford F150......most Brewers fans wouldn't have to think twice before choosing the pick-up. If the fans acknowledge they look sharper now more than ever......but don't identify with the team at all in spite of that.....and determine they have some sort of affinity with that bygone....and less relevant logo......then I don't see anything wrong with that.

We're basically a team given a fancy make-over that we never asked for.

However, the Hartford Whalers never had a new logo to replace the HW logo. If they went to something that looked better than the HW logo then I would have suggested they keep that as well.

I saw, I came, I left.

I think the Brewers should reinvent themselves with a completely new look. No ball 'n glove, no M with wheatstalk. Even use a different script. The franchise has been bad much more often than good, so any previous logo is not the way to go.

Of course, the Brewers need to take more steps in becoming a competitive team first.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I think the Brewers should reinvent themselves with a completely new look. No ball 'n glove, no M with wheatstalk. Even use a different script. The franchise has been bad much more often than good, so any previous logo is not the way to go.

Of course, the Brewers need to take more steps in becoming a competitive team first.

The Brewers are taking those steps - they have the best farm system in the majors, hands down. We should start seeing the results next season and the season after that in earnest. So there's hope for them.

As for logos and success, the only period of time in which the Brewers were competitive was when they wore the ball and glove. As soon as they adopted it, the franchise turned around. As soon as they ditched it, the franchise nose-dived (not suggesting a connection at all, just stating fact).

And there are plenty of fans across north america that sympothize with you (look what they did to my jays!)

To me the Jays are in a very similar boat.

There was never anything wrong with the Carter era unis. Thats how I'll always picture the Blue Jays in my head.

Wish THEY'd go back too.

And I'm ordinarily not a retro-freak. huh.

As it is, the Barrel Man is too unbalanced to make a decent sleeve patch.  If you put it inside a circle or superimposed over a thicker circle, maybe it'll work better.

Just curious - do you think the Swinging Friar is too unbalanced? How about the Reds' Running Man?

The Swinging Friar isn't perfect, but it's at least more vertical than the Barrel Man. The Running Red is definitely the most balanced of the three mentioned and makes the best sleeve patch of them all, probably because it's the most horizontal of the three. If the Barrel Man weren't so diagonal, maybe I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it...

QPR%20Sig.png

For what it's worth, Selig's group was using the Barrel Man as a logo as early as 1969; note this scorecard cover from a White Sox game in Milwaukee (the Chisox played games at County Stadium in 1968-69). Also note the colors - red and blue, similar to the old minor league Brewers colors (they also used Barrel Man).

As a Brewers fan, I liked the dark blue-gold glove with the wheat on either side.

And it's worth noting the Brewers use all their pre-92 logos for promotions; they just held a Barrel Man cap giveaway night.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

For what it's worth, Selig's group was using the Barrel Man as a logo as early as 1969; note this scorecard cover from a White Sox game in Milwaukee (the Chisox played games at County Stadium in 1968-69). Also note the colors - red and blue, similar to the old minor league Brewers colors (they also used Barrel Man).

As a Brewers fan, I liked the dark blue-gold glove with the wheat on either side.

And it's worth noting the Brewers use all their pre-92 logos for promotions; they just held a Barrel Man cap giveaway night.

Cool. thanks for the info.

I think you raise another good point. There is PLENTY of all Brewers merch available to whomever wants it. Ball n Glove hats are everywhere now. They could reasonably function just fine as they are now.......having a solid look and selling tons of old school stuff. Seems odd, but whatever works. IF they switch back it won't cure all their ills. The team will have to do a lot more to get people out to the park en masse every game. There are a lot of bad decisions to live down and lots of losing to put behind us.

Old logo (still in favor of it) or not......there's nothing a whole lotta winning wouldn't cure.

brewers.jpg

I noticed a few other interesting things about the other logos on that page?

? Cleveland's Chief Wahoo faces to the right, not left as it is currently, and the face is just a screen of red (that may be due to printing limitations though)

? the Yankees logo has a lighter blue, the same blue as the Twins logo, but not the navy blue in the Tigers logo

? the socks in the Red Sox logo are placed much higher than center

? and grammatically speaking, shouldn't it be "The Milwaukee Brewers Present", not "Presents"?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

? and grammatically speaking, shouldn't it be "The Milwaukee Brewers Present", not "Presents"?

Yes, unless they used the full name "Milwaukee Brewers Baseball Club." Then it should be "presents."

Interesting side note: the White Sox sold more than half as many tickets to the handful of games played in Milwaukee than they did at Comiskey the rest of the two years!

Bud Selig later had a deal to purchase the Sox and move them from the South Side to the Extreme North Side of Chicago (just south of Wauwatosa), but MLB killed the deal when they refused to let the team be moved. Those were the days....

The errors on the 1969 scorecard are probably just bad printing. I have one from 1970 of a similar design in which the red on the Cal Angels logo was mixed up so the red "C" is open to the left, while the black border on the "C" is still in the right place. On that scorecard, probably because they couldn't get an advertiser to spring for full color, the cover is in red and black only. It wasn't until the next year that they went to the full scorebook.

As for the "present/presents" issue, in this case "The Milwaukee Brewers" is the successor organization to "Teams Inc." which was Bud Selig's franchise-seeking group. So there's probably a missing "Inc." after Brewers, and thus it should be "The Brewers Inc. Presents."

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Archived