Brewers Logo Contest

amare32

I agree that the glove log doesn't have anything to do with the team name, but still, it's a classic logo. Also, the swinging barrel logo would make a nice shoulder patch or something of the sort.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At the risk of repeating my two-year-old's favorite word, "No," I don't like their current look. Nor do I really like the ball-and-glove. In fact, I would argue that they have never had a good look in their entire history, for different reasons.

I disagree. I think their post-ball in glove look was great--mid to late 1990s. Great, classic-looking jerseys. At first they had the very unappeling "MB" cap, but their uniform was just awsome overall when they switched to the "M" hat.

The ball in glove reminds me of my youth (took a road trip with my dad and uncle to County Stadium every year to see the Twins play outdoors). But I have to agree with those that say it is pretty outdated and I hope it is never a part of their identity.

(Keg man is worse though...)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

At the risk of repeating my two-year-old's favorite word, "No," I don't like their current look. Nor do I really like the ball-and-glove. In fact, I would argue that they have never had a good look in their entire history, for different reasons.

I'd settle for "no".

My 15-month old, when she doesn't want something (i.e., when giving her food), swats at it with both hands, a la Ralph Macchio in "The Karate Kid". Cute, until she clocks you, or knocks a sippy cup out of your hand and to the floor.

nav-logo.png

I think the Brewers currently have one of the best looks in baseball. The "M" with the wheat under it just an awesome logo. I would like to see the glove make a comeback as a BP cap or a sleeve patch, recolored in the current colors though. I think they could both live in harmony.

I still think the germanic font best represented the Brewers and the people of Milwaukee. The ball & glove logo is dated and best left in the past.

On a side note, since Wendy is no longer around to give away what talent the Brewers have, the club might have a shot at building a winning tradition. At least maybe for one season, anyway. Then this talk of bringing back the old logo will finally die.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

The "Germanic" look would have been OK had it been a more authentic font. Germanic/Old English-style fonts (i.e. the Tigers' "D") never use all capitals; they would be absolutely unreadable. (Look at any newspaper whose logo looks like the New York Times logo.) And some of the numbers and letters on both the '94-96 version and the '97-99 version were just a disaster.

You can look HERE and judge for yourself as to the generic nature of their early uniforms, and even in the ball-and-glove era (sorry, but the Brewers had no right to ever wear pinstripes), and, yes, today. And nothing since has really excited me. Navy blue and script fonts -- now there's originality. At least the '94-99 version was somewhat of a departure, although with almost illegible fonts.

Packers-2.png

DEATH TO THE GLOVE LOGO!

DEATH TO THE GLOVE LOGO!

DEATH TO THE GLOVE LOGO!

DEATH TO THE GLOVE LOGO!

DEATH TO THE GLOVE LOGO!

DEATH TO THE GLOVE LOGO!

DEATH TO THE GLOVE LOGO!

DEATH TO THE GLOVE LOGO!

DEATH TO THE GLOVE LOGO!

DEATH TO THE GLOVE LOGO!

:mad:  ..... :D

amen!

a glove and ball has nothing to do with the name "Brewers" the current logo/unis convey the team name very well. the ball and glove logo is a genaric, yet cleaver logo that worked for a while, but when it became dated the team rightfully dumped it.

Hating the glove logo is like hating Journey.
Liking the glove logo is like liking Journey.

Figure this one: I like the glove logo but hate Journey. I gotta be me...

Anyway, while the glove has nothing to do with the team name, or with brewing, it's still one of the most clever logos of the past 30 years. ("m" + "b" for Milwaukee Brewers into a ball and glove? BRILLIANT.) That being said, their present look is ultra-bland but does make reference to brewing. But it's hard to do much more without channeling Miller Beer, given the "M" and the people who bought the naming rights to the park. Anything more runs the risk of them looking like corporate shills.

Looking back, they've never had a logo/uniform set that satisfied both the name and visual appeal.

'70s: bland uniforms ("M" with serifs on cap, block letters on uniforms), scary beer keg/robot from outer space logo

'80s: clever logo that had nothing to do with beermaking, uniform upgrade with the script lettering

'90s: logo that looked more than similar to Notre Dame's interlocking "ND" - and with metallic gold and forest green included in the color scheme, nothing to do with beermaking, and illegible uniforms

'00s: a logo that actually includes a nod to the team name, but bland uniforms

It's been 35 years, and they haven't gotten it right. Why would they do it right now?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The "Germanic" look would have been OK had it been a more authentic font. Germanic/Old English-style fonts (i.e. the Tigers' "D") never use all capitals; they would be absolutely unreadable. (Look at any newspaper whose logo looks like the New York Times logo.) And some of the numbers and letters on both the '94-96 version and the '97-99 version were just a disaster.

You can look HERE and judge for yourself as to the generic nature of their early uniforms, and even in the ball-and-glove era (sorry, but the Brewers had no right to ever wear pinstripes), and, yes, today. And nothing since has really excited me. Navy blue and script fonts -- now there's originality. At least the '94-99 version was somewhat of a departure, although with almost illegible fonts.

To be honest, I can read the germanic font better than the script font by a long shot.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

The Germanic font (who named it this? Germanic fonts are closer to Olde English-style calligraphy, but anyway) would be a lot more legible if the navy letters hadn't been double-outlined, in dark green and then metallic gold.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I like the Ball in Glove logo. I live in Wisconsin and the Majority of Brewers Apperal I see people wearing has the ball in glove logo. I think it would be nice if they brought it back but in there current colors.

Kinda like this:

Brewers.jpg

I like the Ball in Glove logo. I live in Wisconsin and the Majority of Brewers Apperal I see people wearing has the ball in glove logo. I think it would be nice if they brought it back but in there current colors.

Kinda like this:

Brewers.jpg

That's pretty cool right there.

And for some reason, makes me want a hot pretzel.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I love the current Brewers scheme, and the old ball and glove. Sort of like the Chargers. Thye have a beautiful thing now and somethign awesome from the past.

And the MB glove has as much to do Brewing as a NY has to do with being a yankee. Its just a clever way to put the team initaisl on the hat, but it still incorporates baseball.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Kinda like this:

Brewers.jpg

Funny, I suggested this idea to Braden yesterday while we were at the Brewers game.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived