SMU New logo?

jefrsn

I couldn't find anything else on the SMU site, except for that new wordmark. They do seem to be getting ready for the official move to Conference USA on July 1, so maybe that's when everything is unveiled.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Looks like that new 'stang logo could be pretty tight, but I hope they don't ditch the pony on the helmet. They already ruined one of my favorite college football helmets by changing it to that nightmareish navy-and-red thing in 2003. Ditching the pony would be insult to injury.

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

Looks like that new 'stang logo could be pretty tight,

If it is in fact a Phoenix mark, I can guarantee you there will be nothing "tight" about it. We are after all talking about the same design firm that gave us this...

Santa_Clara.gif

"...and you want to be my latex salesman."

vandelay.jpg

Looks like that new 'stang logo could be pretty tight,

If it is in fact a Phoenix mark, I can guarantee you there will be nothing "tight" about it. We are after all talking about the same design firm that gave us this...

Santa_Clara.gif

You gotta remember, the client dictates to the designer what they want. That is why a lot of Phoenix's stuff looks alike, especially the wordmarks, because that is what the client wants. Yeah that santa clara logo isnt the best, but it was what the client wanted.

smu-auctions05-728.gif

looks like they got a new horse logo too

I'm thinking that could have promise, though I would think it would be greatly improved by adding at least some white for detail/depth.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I know what you're trying to say. The school does have input but the repeatedly bad, cookie cutter marks have nothing to do with the schools. They just give the okay because most of them have no idea what works and what doesn't.

"...and you want to be my latex salesman."

vandelay.jpg

Here we go again: the old "Phoenix Design Works churns out 'cookie-cutter' logos" rant. Give it a rest already.

Bottom line? Design firms often develop signature styles. That does not necessarily equate with a "cookie cutter" approach to design. What's more, Phoenix Designs' efforts on behalf of collegiate clients show as much diversity as any other firms. Witness:

brown01.gif

A virtually photorealistic depiction of the mascot.

ark01.gif

A depiction of the mascot that fuses photorealistic and more cartoonish elements.

dsu01.gif

A depiction of the school mascot that fuses realistic and stylized elements.

siu01.gif

A tremendously simplified depiction of the school's mascot.

Santa_Clara.gif

A cartoon-like depiction of the school's mascot.

I see five truly distinctive logos here. I mean, what "type logo" does Phoenix Design Works produce for "countless" colleges and universities? Are we talking about a logo that includes a depiction of the mascot, the school's name and the team nickname? If so, I've got news for you: the vast majority of collegiate sports logos are going to fit that description... regardless of who designed them.

Look, Phoenix Design Works may be guilty of recycling a certain font now and again... they may be guilty of going overboard with detail in some of their work. However, they are just as likely to create a cartoonish logo (witness Santa Clara or UMass), as well. Their designs are no more or no less derivative than those of any other design firm. Are they my favorite design firm producing logos for the sports marketplace? Probably not. However, they're not the talentless, lazy hacks some on this board would make them out to be. The claim that they are is getting awfully old.

Looks like that new 'stang logo could be pretty tight, but I hope they don't ditch the pony on the helmet. They already ruined one of my favorite college football helmets by changing it to that nightmareish navy-and-red thing in 2003. Ditching the pony would be insult to injury.

Agree with you a hundred percent. The old white helmet was a keeper.

"Conduct may be founded on the hard rock or the wet marshes."

You really think that? Who would go in and say "I want exactly the same thing that you've done for your last three schools." I think you are way off.

Don't think he's "way off". The reality is somewhere in the middle of it all. :D

I hardly think most clients say, "I want to look just like that school or team". They do, however, tend to offer a list of parameters about what they DO like and what isn't acceptable.

Also, like most clothing, there are trends that drive the market and trends rarely start with the masses, instead following a trickle down kind of pattern.

Historically, many institutions (schools) tend to be a little risk averse in terms of branding and often seek to stay within "acceptable" parameters. Once the Miami Hurricanes made a significant change and "pioneered", then others hopped on the bandwagon.

But again, I don't think most groups actively seek to replicate another's brand but rather search for elements that seem to have already proven themselves effective.

Anyone else have some insight?

"Conduct may be founded on the hard rock or the wet marshes."

the sneak peek there's promising...I can't wait to see the whole thing. than after that maybe SMU can put a half decent team on the football field again (wait, I'm asking too much) ;)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived